Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car Electronics

Hey this might be off topic but anyway,
    My mate tryed installing my head unit himself, and couldn't figure it out. He left the old HU out and the wires free and while i was driving it started smoking so i pulled over and two wires must have touched and started a spark which has burnt my wiring.

Well anyway, my indictors, tail lights, clock and dash light dont work anymore. I replaced all the fuses but still nothing. So what has happened and what do i need to do?

thanks

Sounds like you missed some fuses. There also may be some fuses in the engine bay. Check them all again. It is hard to diagnose a car via a forum without having a look. What kind of car is it? Do you have a wiring diagram for your car?
    The indicators, tail lights and dash / clock lights should all be on different circuits, so unless you can find a fuse / fuses that are still blown, you have done some serious damage to you car's wiring. In that case, take it to you local auto electrician to have a look.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

I think you should go kick your mate's ***. You should then kick your own *** for allowing someone who has no more knowledge for vehicle electrics than you to muck about with the wiring of your ride.

Once you get out of ER, take it to a professional shop and get a damage assessment.

Taillights and such aren't going to quit working just from having the stereo lines disconnected. He did something screwed up. If he shorted something, it hopefully blew a fuse that's causing the parts not to work. Worse, something's shorted and will need to be tracked down.
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Ok well ill check tomorrow for another fuse box, and nar i dont have a wiring diagram. Its a 69 Dodge Phoenix. If it is the internal wiring, am i looking at a hefty price on getting it redone/fixed?

thanks

Comment

shoudn't be too expensive to fix, but it all depends on what damage is done. Have a chat to the auto electrician, he should be able to give you a rough price
          Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

You can get a complete wiring harness for a couple hundred bucks. Connecting it all is another matter.
            IF you don't know what you're doing (and it sounds like you don't, no offense), you want to get someone who does to rewire it.

I'm only mentioning a complete wiring harness because the vehicle is 27 years old, give or take a couple months. It's going to give you some assurance that the electrical in the car isn't going to have any other issues that you don't know about.

Check out Painless Wiring. They make wiring harnesses for streetrods and restorations and whatnot. They are one of, if not the best wiring harnesses in the industry.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

i had a problem that was almost the same as yours, turns out theres a fuse in the underhood fuse box labeled 'backup fuse' which doubles as a radio fuse. Since its inline before the fusebox in the cab it blew first, which explains why none of the fuses in the other box blew.
                ps this is on my 01 civic
                REBUILDING!!

Comment

mines a 69 dodge, i really dont think there is a second fuse box but i will check again anyway....

Comment

Friends don't let friends install car stereos.

Comment

well not from now on anyway....

Comment

Originally posted by Legarcondemerde
                        Friends don't let friends install car stereos.
                        Why is that?
                        REBUILDING!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dragonknell911
                          Why is that?
                          did you read this thread??
                          Pentium 4m 1.5GHz|MB896|Roadie Extreme|XM-Direct|Rikaline 6010|T-View 7"|Streetdeck|160gb Western Digital|1Gb DDR2-533 Ram

Comment

Haha yes i read the thread, but i can install a radio fine, and i would gladly install one in a friends car if they needed the help. just because one person can't doesnt mean that everyone else should'nt.
                            REBUILDING!!

Comment

Fusible link?

Many cars, including older US models have a fusible link under the hood usually near the battery. It is essentially a hardwired fuse that should blow in case the smaller fuses don't. The ones I remember seeing look like a plastic cylinder wrapped around a secondary wire from the battery. You can't get to the fuse itself as it is molded in. You must replace the whole link, wires and all. Hopefully your problem is something simple like that and you can diagnose with a meter or test light.
                              ~Jimmy

Comment

Working...
                              X