Cold LCD = no start

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold LCD = no start

Well, I finally got everything in my car and I'm finding that my Pylon 7" touchscreen appears that it won't turn on in cold weather. Does anyone else have this problem? Any ideas on a fix?

The problem is that the liquid crystals get sluggish in cold - often an LCD will work but with much lower response times, but in your case it seems it doesn't work at all. Aside from getting an LCD engineered for lower temps, the only thing you can do is add a heater to keep it warm, I think.

Comment

awww man...yeah, it's not the liquid crystals. I hit the power button and the LED (not LCD) only stays on for a second or so.

Comment

My screen K301 is designed not to turn on in extreme cold, it will just beep untill it gets warm enough then will start. No idea what the manufacturers deam as too cold as the instructions dont say and it hasnt actually ever happend to me. Maybe yours is the same?
        Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

dunno. no beep...just shuts off...I'll have to dig arround for my manual. I wonder if there's a "hackaround" or if that's even a good idea...?

Comment

mine would also not turn on in cold weather, TView.

it would if I removed and then re attached power, I have a quick switch for it now .. try that.
            Shawn

Check out my web company Minneapolis Web Designer | MODx Web Design - Himmelberger Design

Comment

my Xenarc is extremely hard to read when temps drop below 25... takes about 5 minutes to be "normal"... my main issue is with my hard drive not spinning up - that takes a few minutes to warm up also...
              EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

huh...I guess I'm a bit surprised. I tried to do all the research I could, but I haven't heard that this was a big issue. I wonder what the manufacturers do to fix this issue, or if it's an issue for them too? Or even the drivesoft guys?

Comment

differnt lcd panels are rated to different specs for cold hot ect

same goes for any hardware, and this has to be taken into account when you are designing a system for any less hospitable situation then say your house. I am sure (hope) that companies that are assembling them for money have taken this into account.

Find out the specs on your panel and that should tell what temp range it can handle.
                  My Install

Software:
                  CFiG v1
                  iGuidance Plugin for CF

CarShell
                  Working shell for a CarPC

StopWatch
                  StopWatch plugin remade for centrafuse RC1

Comment

Yeah, found the manual, operating temp is rated 0 - 50 C & storage as -40 - 80 C...so I hope this pannel works right in the summer too....
                    Right now the USB, VGA, and Power connectors on mine are covered with electrical tape to prevent accidental grounding. I've built my dash so I can remove the screen at will though. Does anyone think it would hurt it if the outer shielding on these connectors became momentarrially (or longer) grounded? I could take off the tape and take the screen out regularly. (I built the dash w/ the headrest shroud in it so I could remove the LCD easily)

Comment

My DWW-700M has a similar problem at around 1 deg c or below. It opens, wait for about 3 seconds, and closes as if powered off. Most irritating. Currently I direct the heater vents onto the back of the sceen but this can take a while.
                      www.debthelpexpert.org

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMatrixJR
                        Yeah, found the manual, operating temp is rated 0 - 50 C & storage as -40 - 80 C...so I hope this pannel works right in the summer too....
                        Right now the USB, VGA, and Power connectors on mine are covered with electrical tape to prevent accidental grounding. I've built my dash so I can remove the screen at will though. Does anyone think it would hurt it if the outer shielding on these connectors became momentarrially (or longer) grounded? I could take off the tape and take the screen out regularly. (I built the dash w/ the headrest shroud in it so I could remove the LCD easily)
                        50C = 122F... that's desert heat... crack a window, use a sunshade... but also keep in mind that "operating temp" doesn't mean that all will be equal... in heat and in cold my screen looked quite different...

generally speaking the outside piece of metal on a connector is the grounding/shielding... so it is already the "sink"... I would never advise to expose the metal to grounding, but I think there are things much greater to fear...
                        EPIA SP13000, 512 DDR400, Seagate 300GB, Belkin PCI 802.11g w/external antenna, Holux GM-210 GPS, XM Direct w/ serial, Dlink FM, Opus 120 p\s, Rockford P4004 amp, Xenarc 7" VGA touchscreen custom mounted in double din spot -- see pics and write up here!!

Comment

you could easily wire a plug:P

Comment

Working...
                          X