Help Building my carpc. Anyone knowledgeable, please help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help Building my carpc. Anyone knowledgeable, please help

I am trying to build a pc for my car. i only need it to play mp3s, videos and navigation. basically i need something with a large HD and ram and a decent processor. i am not that familiar with pc parts, thats why i need help. i want to get all my parts if possible from best buy because of possible employee discounts and if anything else is needed, i guess newegg.
    1. 100-200gb hd
    2. ram >768
    can everyone make there own complete list a setup that would work for me. if this thread goes as i hope, it might become a sticky for everyone and would reduce alot of questions.
    CLICK ME FOR BMW CARPUTERS

95 Avus M3
    Mods: ;-)
    Carputer: Lilliput 619, GPS= LT-20 Receiver, IGuidance 3 & Streets & Atlas 2K6, RR Front End, Removable Dell Inspiron Laptop, More to come........

bump

95 Avus M3
    Carputer: Lilliput 619, GPS= LT-20 Receiver, IGuidance 3 & Streets & Atlas 2K6, RR Front End, Removable Dell Inspiron Laptop, More to come........

Comment

eh best buy discount is still more then you could find other places.
      haha.
      ram does not need to be that much. 512 probably would be great.
      http://www.pricewatch.com/
      good for prices. How much do you want to spend?

if you got a frys/microcenter around you should be able to get
      200gb 70bucks
      athlon 1500+ /w motherboard 80bucks
      ram 512 50 bucks
      when stuff goes on sale.
      find a lil cheap videocard cuz u really wont need much.
      maybe a nice sound card.
      and all the other stuff. inverter etc....
      haha
      man best buy is such rip.
      biggest rip off was an 400watt power inverter that was like 69.99 at bb, but i had just bought it at pepboy for 20 bucks reg price.
      Core duo
      1tb harddrive
      256 ddr
      8 lilliput
      bu-353

still installing...

Comment

thanks for getting this thread started. i checked ebay to see what athlonds were available and they all were rated at 1.3, is that enough ghz. can u give me some ideas of what are some good sound cards and video cards. i tried searching but there was not that much info available to help me figure out what is a good sound card.
        i would like to keep my budget under $400. i will also need a slim drive dvd-r. are they all pretty much the same?
        things i have already bought
        inverter
        lt-20 gps w/ software
        lilliput
        vga & usb cable extensions

things to buy right now
        mini-keyboard
        usb bluetooth
        bluetooth mouse/trackball

95 Avus M3

Comment

95 Avus M3

Comment

Originally posted by bimmeracer
            I am trying to build a pc for my car. i only need it to play mp3s, videos and navigation. basically i need something with a large HD and ram and a decent processor. i am not that familiar with pc parts, thats why i need help. i want to get all my parts if possible from best buy because of possible employee discounts and if anything else is needed, i guess newegg.
            1. 100-200gb hd
            2. ram >768
            can everyone make there own complete list a setup that would work for me. if this thread goes as i hope, it might become a sticky for everyone and would reduce alot of questions.
            768 Mb of RAM? are u crazy? are u photoshopping on the move? Adobe Premiering while driving at 60mph?

and as for this thread becoming a sticky... well im trying to restrain from laughing. sorry dude but its funny. u want a car pc to play mp3, video, and nav. and u think this hasnt been asked before?

u need one of these

im surprised u havent been told before..
            2005 Nissan Xtrail
            DFI 855GME-MGF - Celeron M 1.4GHz - 256Mb RAM - 200Gb SATA HDD - OPUS 150w - Xenarc 700TSV

worklog

Comment

Building a PC for your ride is just like building any other PC, albeit with the issues of tight spaces, DC power and potentially heat buildup.
              If you don't know how to build a PC for your dekstop, then you need to learn or get a pre-built unit or pay someone to build one for you.

And I don't think 768MB RAM is excessive. It's more than necessary, to be certain. But it's not excessive.
              Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
              How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
              X