Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 computer, 2 touchscreens, possible?

Hello all,

I have been working on a Carputer spec and every time I think I have it nailed down, I find I overlooked something. Anyway, I would like to have a Pentium M system and my main reason for 2 screens was to allow rear seat passengers to be able to watch DVD's while I did GPS or rearview camera.
    I found out for this to work I would need TV out. However, I was wondering if I had a system that allowed 2 touchscreens then the back seat passengers could access the DVD drive and play the movie and possibly bypass TV out. Is this possible? Are there Mobo's out there that allow individual display signals at the same time? Does Dual LVDS have anything to do with dual display? I looked it up and found it means low voltage data stream, but other then that I do not know what it does. Are there any Pentium M boards that could do this sort of thing? If not, could a Via SP13000 do it. I know with the SP13000 I could use the TV out but it would just be a moniter then.

Best regards,

Marc Webster

Originally posted by thrmaln
    Hello all,

I have been working on a Carputer spec and every time I think I have it nailed down, I find I overlooked something. Anyway, I would like to have a Pentium M system and my main reason for 2 screens was to allow rear seat passengers to be able to watch DVD's while I did GPS or rearview camera.
    I found out for this to work I would need TV out.
    Or you can just add a video card in addition to the on board, or use a VGA splitter.
    However, I was wondering if I had a system that allowed 2 touchscreens then the back seat passengers could access the DVD drive and play the movie and possibly bypass TV out. Is this possible?
    well, it is possible, and will work, but it won't work well for watching 2 different things.
    Are there Mobo's out there that allow individual display signals at the same time? Does Dual LVDS have anything to do with dual display? I looked it up and found it means low voltage data stream, but other then that I do not know what it does. Are there any Pentium M boards that could do this sort of thing? If not, could a Via SP13000 do it. I know with the SP13000 I could use the TV out but it would just be a moniter then.

Best regards,

Marc Webster
    Causa latet vis est notissima

VIA SP13000
    1GB DDR400
    Slimline Slot-load DVD-RW
    60GB 2.5 Inch SATA 5400RPM
    Dual Active PCI riser
    PCI TV/FM card
    Logisys FP800
    Thermaltake VFD Media Lab
    M1-ATX

Comment

It is probably not what you want to hear, but what about getting a 12v dvd drive? Have the drive and the computer on a switch going to the rear LCD. Also would be less taxing on the computer if you are trying to do other things up front.

Comment

I downloaded a program recently called Multi-desk so I can switch back and forth between programs on the same monitor but I think it allows you to use separate monitors if you choose.

Comment

Nvidia allows you to open programs on different moniters, a shuttle will have two onboard vga outs. Using a splitter will degrade you video quality.

Comment

Not all Shuttles have dual video out.
            Check the specs fo the unit you're considering.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Yeah, a dual output video card will help you with the 'two different displays' issue. Don't know how many systems would have that onboard the MB though. The touchscreen part is pretty much a non-issue depending on the software involved with the touchscreen, though you probably can't 'touch' both monitors at once without it acting wierd.

Comment

Just use a VGA/video splitter for all of your screens. I know Xenarc's drivers and touchscreen software support multiple touchscreens with no problems at all.

Simple. But if you plan on using crappy screens with little or no driver support - it can be a nightmare.
                www.mobile-effects.com

Free file hosting, picture gallery hosting for installs, PM me.

Internet's first Front End Skin browser, featured installs, downloads, links, informative articles - all free to registered users.

Comment

So if I just want to display DVD or video on the rear screens, I can just use TV out to these screens? Granted, control of playback would have to be done up front.

I have the M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 which has a header for s-video output-can I just run that to the screens in the rear? Does the nVidia software handle what gets displayed on front vs. rear monitor? Do I have to setup anything in RR for this?

Or would it be easier to use a video card (fx 5200) which has vga output and s-video output on the same card.

Sorry for so many questions.... The possibilities of these damn things are endless. I don't think I'll ever actually "complete" this install.

Biostar M7NCG 400 ver 7.2 AMD Mobile Athlon 1.1GHz (@ 1GHz), Kingston PC2700 512mb WD 80gig HD Custom Case Opus 150W PS Lilliput 7" TS D-Link DBT-120 BT D-Link DWL-G122 WiFi Holux GR-231 GPS nLited XP Pro iGuidance RoadRunner frontend

Comment

don't do slpitter or anything, just get a Geforce 4 or Radoen series card with dual VGA (they exist and they're not overtly expensive compare to other solutions). Then, waht you can do is do dual monitors streiaght form the windows deskttop. The worse you'll get is taht a program loses focus, but since you're nto dragging and droppign with a mouse and touch is a one mouse click thing, so you touch, i touch, you touch, i touch. It can work as long as you can keep your programs isolatied to a specifc identified monitor or . Never used dual touch monotirs, but i do run dual on my esktop (or did, doing amny diagponstic processes on a few comptuers righ tnow) right now. It should work.

Yes, nVidia and Ati have their own software that works with what you're thinking, though an sdk may be neccessary to do it they way you want it to, wallaceacura. Just remember to make your fornt monitor your primary as that's where windows information before loading explorer will boot. Works on all OS's from 98SE up.
                    Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
                    Genesis has speed
                    Genesis has class
                    Genesis sent money
                    before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Cant u just add a cheap PCI videocard (s3 chipset seems to be good for this)
                      and use that to run the headrest monitor.
                      But watch out, because not all videocards can cooperate in a good way with eachother.

Comment

a VGA splitter will give him the same image in both monitors, he wants to have them displaying 2 different things, a PCI card is the way to go

Comment

Nvidia's dual monitor support (Dualview) is much more flexible and configureable than ATI's (Hydravision), so I'd go that route.

Comment

Working...
                          X