Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E46 - best route for cables?

Hey E46 CarPC Vets...

What's the best path to get cables from the center dash (radio area) to the trunk (either side) where my CarPC will likely reside? Please post your experiences, good or bad with routing the cables.

Thanks.

I ran mine right through the center. Not a big deal until after you get past the center console and have to run it under the carpet. There's a crap load of foam padding down there which which doesn't give you a lot of room to work with. So it's a bit of a pain getting it to the backseat, but I think it's the shortest route.

Some people also run it across the dashboard and then down the side of the car, but since my console was already disassembled, I figured i'd just go through the middle.

Comment

Originally posted by jimothy
      I ran mine right through the center. Not a big deal until after you get past the center console and have to run it under the carpet. There's a crap load of foam padding down there which which doesn't give you a lot of room to work with. So it's a bit of a pain getting it to the backseat, but I think it's the shortest route.

Some people also run it across the dashboard and then down the side of the car, but since my console was already disassembled, I figured i'd just go through the middle.
      Thanks jimothy -

Had you not had the console apart, would you still go that route? Do you consider it easer than going down the side?

Comment

Cant really say since I didn't go down the side, but most people seem to go down the center as well.

Comment

It's really easy enough to run them under the seat and down the side, where the rest of the cables are run. Pulling up the carpet and going through layers of foam sounds like bad news. There's even a division in the carpet under the seat to hide the cables (more or less). So, in summary: center console until the division in carpet (roughly at halfway past front of seat), then under the seat, then down the door jam, under the back seat, then through rubber grommet into trunk. I think I have pics of some of this on my install log.
          My install log
          My "selling entire system" thread

Comment

The shortest is to go under the tight peice of carpet behind the center console. The carpet sure is stubborn in that spot, you'll find you can lift the front and the back but the middle part doesnt want to play at all. To make it harder, theres a bunch of foam in there.

Just be delicate, take your time, take the back seat and side panels out and it will allow you to lift the carpet enough to get the wires tucked under.

It's less painless to go around the sill, which is how you are recommended to do it, but sometimes you just don't have the length. IE if you only have 6 foot usb extensions available... they tend not to work well if you double them up.

Use something stiff like a peice of bicycle cable housing or similar, push it through, then tape your wires to it and pull them through. Just go easy with it so you dont rip off any of the cable ends.

Comment

Working...
            X