Motorized rear view webcam!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorized rear view webcam!

I was thinking of hacking one of these to motorized webcams and put it in the back of my Jeep.

http://www.creative.com/products/pro...&product=13979

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...ONTENTID=10628

Any thoughts, comments? My original plan was to mount it in the top break light

But it's kind a small...
    Attached Files
    Will never be DONE! There is always something to add
    VIA EPIA SP13000,1GB DDR,80Gb 2.5 SATA HDD,8" Xenarc LCD with t/s,Linksys Bluetooth,Logitech wireless trackball,OBDII,RearView wide angle cam,XM radio,2 Wifi external antennas, Frodo,Navivoice

I'm using a servo + PIC.

Though for a 100 it's not too bad considering you get it all in a neat package and USB input.
    GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Well the size and the fact the I will need one more external 4way control panel is what stopped me from a microprocessor + servo implementation. How big is the install? where did you mount it? I remember you had a rear view camera on a shark fin. Am I wrong? I have been thinking about it for a long time and one day I glanced on my Logitech orbit webcam which i have for a long time. I was perfect! good picture quality, USB controlled(no extra panels with buttons) and small! I haven't seen the creative on from up close yet. They don't have them in any store near by yet... I wonder y?! I am in Boston. Any way to much blabbing! I'll post any progress on that if and when I get in to it. So many projects on my hands... Like all of us here I guess haha. It never ends!
      VIA EPIA SP13000,1GB DDR,80Gb 2.5 SATA HDD,8" Xenarc LCD with t/s,Linksys Bluetooth,Logitech wireless trackball,OBDII,RearView wide angle cam,XM radio,2 Wifi external antennas, Frodo,Navivoice

Comment

Originally posted by spaceskater
        Well the size and the fact the I will need one more external 4way control panel is what stopped me from a microprocessor + servo implementation. How big is the install? where did you mount it? I remember you had a rear view camera on a shark fin. Am I wrong? I have been thinking about it for a long time and one day I glanced on my Logitech orbit webcam which i have for a long time. I was perfect! good picture quality, USB controlled(no extra panels with buttons) and small! I haven't seen the creative on from up close yet. They don't have them in any store near by yet... I wonder y?! I am in Boston. Any way to much blabbing! I'll post any progress on that if and when I get in to it. So many projects on my hands... Like all of us here I guess haha. It never ends!
        I was pondering the fin. The original idea was to just have it on the lid behind the seats, but too much of the view is blocked. So then the idea was to have it on the roof in the "fin". I didn't think I'd get enough from the roof inside. But considering it would take me awhile to make the fin, drill and everything else, I tried it inside just to see and it work great. Did you see the vid in that thread?

Though the camera (to date) has never been in more than a day at a time. I keep ripping everything in and out and at this point been spinning my wheels too long. So on the interior roof it goes.

The package is pretty small (especially the mini servo), don't have a tape handy, but the keyboard in the pic should give you an idea. Though probably too tall for a standard breaklight. You'd probably have to run them side by side with a gear (which I started and also abandoned )

The other question was how to drive it. Originally, I wanted it tied to my steering. I explored a bunch of options for encoding the steering position, but decided to shelf that for awhile and just use my turn signals to drive the camera.

I've got the components coming next week to interface my instrument cluster to the pc next week. If all goes well, I'll have some big progress in the next two weeks (finally)

Another option if you want pc control is the scott edwards SCC2 serial servo driver board. I have one (originally for this project). It can control up to I believe 8 servos over a comm port.
        GE Cache Builder | [email protected] |Coolstuff :autospeed.com | bit-tech.net | Nitemax Ultra Pinouts

Comment

Finally installed.

I need to trim away a little bit more of the headliner though, there's a little friction.

Comment

Looks good! It's much smaller than I thought! I'd like to see your turn signal implementation! I'm still trying to get my hands on this new creative web cam to see the inside of it. I was thinking of mounting it in the same spot on my jeep behind the back window but my window is tinted and I think it will lose a lot of light. I guess I should test it first, as always...

Comment

Originally posted by spaceskater
              Looks good! It's much smaller than I thought! I'd like to see your turn signal implementation! I'm still trying to get my hands on this new creative web cam to see the inside of it. I was thinking of mounting it in the same spot on my jeep behind the back window but my window is tinted and I think it will lose a lot of light. I guess I should test it first, as always...
              My tint isn't causing a problem, (trying to remember how dark it is), 30%? + the factory tint to the glass IIRC.

Going to design the pcb for the instrument cluster, hopefully this weekend. I was going to proto it, but too much wiring. I'm tapping 18 inputs on the gauge cluster and the microcontroller is going to be doing a lot of other things.

Comment

Working...
              X