Voltage Stablizers and Vehicle Ground

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Voltage Stablizers and Vehicle Ground

I've decided the electrical system in my car could use a little work after reading that my car is poorly grounded from the factory. I've also had a problem with the vehicle not starting immediately and getting low voltage in the cold, even with a new red top. I'm not sure if this is a problem with the physical starter itself or the vehicle's charging system.

I was just reading about these things today on another forum and became curious:

Apexi Super Ground System and Voltage Regulator

Greddy Racing Voltage Stabilizer

Has anyone used something like this in one of their vehicles here? A google search only turned up a bunch of ads for this stuff, they seem to be a popular cheap / ebay type item. So far, both of these items just seem like overpriced shiny boxes to me.

I know that upgrading the ground wires would help, but what do these voltage stablizers do? For now, I'm just planning to fix the ground wire issues in the vehicle and upgrade to a 200 Amp BOSCH alternator. Any thoughts?
    Xenarc 7" USB Touch LCD / 3.06 GHz P4 / 512MB DDR / 250GB 7200RPM 16MB HD /
    DS-ATX 220W / Centrafuse / GPS / XM / 802.11g: 6db / RF Keyboard

Waste of money in my opinion

Just grab some 4 gauge wire and some ring terminals and ground all over the place in your engine bay. Running a fat ground from the ECU and alternator will probably do the most good (and of course from the battery itself)
    This is pretty much the same thing those kits do but without the insanely stupid cost
    2004 G35 Coupe project

Comment

What does the thing do that just connects to the two battery terminals and claims to offer all kinds of benefits?

Comment

do the big three before ANYTHING man. You may have wasted money on the red top. I'm shelling out <$30 to do my big three, and it shoudl elimnate the need for a cap or a deep cycle batt. I already upgraded my alt form an 80 amp one to a 100 amp one (20 amps is an upgrade). if you're pushing over 80 amps, that may be enough, after the big three, to do everything without anythign extra. Sounddomain as an incredibile writeup here...

http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubb/ult...c;f=5;t=007801
        Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
        Genesis has speed
        Genesis has class
        Genesis sent money
        before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Thanks, I guess the grounding is a bigger deal than I thought it was. I'll try to tackle that sometime soon.

Comment

check for corrosion on all your existing ground wires also. this will take a huge toll on your car during crank.
            Car Pc progress meter:
            [-5%-------------------] Carpc build #2. So far, 20$ deep! I love recycling!

"The car is the closest we will ever come to creating something that is truly alive" -Sir William Lyons
            My worklog

Comment

Now aday, you pay more for anything that the saler slap a "JDM" on the part. Those thing "may" works, but I think people buying them because of blink and hype.

Anyway, just check for corrosion and clean it. Use soda (7-UP is best). Upgrade all ground from the battery to engine block/body/chasic.
              2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
              89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
              Y2K Accord Dell GX150
              RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
              EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Originally posted by redls1bird
                check for corrosion on all your existing ground wires also. this will take a huge toll on your car during crank.
                If he does the big three, this own't be a problem. Electricity is lazy, like myself, and takes the easiest path. corrossion only addes resistance. The big three is all he needs...and if he desires the wires and fuses for it at a great price, he can PM me....

I'm placing a bulk order with a new company for a few more cars
                Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
                Genesis has speed
                Genesis has class
                Genesis sent money
                before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

Okay, this is whats weird.

I plugged in my volt meter and the voltage never dropped below during 12V during a failed crank. There must be an issue with the starter.

Comment

Working...
                  X