Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Continuous long beeps from mobo only on cold mornings...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuous long beeps from mobo only on cold mornings...

Hey guys,

I have this weird intermittent issue that I THINK i've narrowed down to only occuring on cold mornings. I say "i think" because i've only had the CarPC in one week, and the 3 times I left it out in the driveway overnight, it happened. Basically, when I start my car, I hear the PC boot up then hear continuous long beeps. No VGA signal at this point, just BEEEEP, BEEEEP, BEEEEP, etc. What's weird is that if I hit the reset switch a couple times and it boots up fine!

So that's what's confusing me.....assuming that the cold is the issue, if a component is too cold to startup the first time, why would resetting twice cure it? Does it "shock" it back to life?

I searched for the mobo beep codes, but couldn't find anything that matched continuous long beeps. All errors seemed to be a combination of long and short beeps (i.e. 1 long, 2 short....1 long, 1 short, 1 long...).

It's an SP13000 mobo if it helps. I know a lot of other people are running this mobo, and likely a few running successfully in the cold. The only thing I can think of right now is that my cheap RAM might be the source of the problem, so i'll try swapping that out as soon as I can get some new stuff.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Its probably a lose connection somewhere. Check all your wires and re seat your RAM.
    Remember AllAdvantage From 7 years ago? IT IS BACK! Now under a new name Agloco
    GET PAID TO SURF THE INTERNET

Comment

if it's really cold the hardrive may not spin up fast enough initially, try unplugging the hardrive & see if it does the same beeep, beeep, beeeep...
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

try replace the memory
        ------------------------------

98 Honda civic
        In-Dash LCD Monitor K-301
        cappuccino EZ3
        PIII-1.2GHZ
        256MB PC133
        40GB HD
        Holux GR 213 Sirf Star III GPS
        IguidanceV2
        CNX-P1900 power supply
        Sound Blaster Live USB

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely give them all a shot. Unfortunately, this thing is hard to troubleshoot since i pretty much only have one opportunity per day to do it, and it's only if the weather is cold enough at night! Talk about limited time only, eh?

What gets me is that a reset fixes it....so if it was the hard drive, or RAM, or loose wiring, why would a reset fix it? Strange for sure....

Anyway, i'll keep you all posted on what happens....if anyone else has any ideas, i'm all ears!

Thanks again.

Comment

long beeps on a VIA board, the code means bad power supply. Doesnt mean the PS is duff just it failed to boot it that time. I got it a few times when I was trying to get an M2 ATX to work. It took a bit of googling to find but I found it in the end. Going on my experiance the code was right.
            Visit my site V8 Scimitar

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Ah, very interesting.....guess what power supply I'm using?

So this seems like it might be an M2-ATX issue. I've been reading around the other threads (one of which I believe was yours) about the issues with the M2-ATX, but I hadn't experienced anything that was described. This may very well be the first issue for me.

But I wonder why the PSU is having such a hard time in the cold....I remember seeing Andrei post extreme temperatures that it was tested at, and it seemed to work fine.

Maybe what i'll do next time is leave the car out overnight, then first thing in the morning, measure the voltage coming from the m2-atx on the first boot, then again on the 2nd. I wonder if there is a subtle difference that is causing it to halt the first time, yet boot the second....

Comment

might be plus dont forget that in the cold your battery puts out less voltage. Again this shouldnt make any odds but who knows. Is the car started by the time you go for the second boot? or are you cranking on the first?

SP13000, 300GB SATA HD, 1GB DDR. Opus 150, K301 screen, Cisco WIFI, AQmax GPS, RoadRunner and FreeDrive, Sony MEX-R5 head unit. 4 years installed and it just keeps running!

Comment

Yeah, the car is still started from the crank on the first boot. The second boot is pretty much just pressing the reset button a couple times. It's not like I boot up once, hear the beeps, shut the car off, the turn it on to boot up again....although, now that you mention it, I wonder now what would happen if I tried that. If I tried that, I might be able to narrow it down to something occuring on the crank....

I left it outside at work today all day, but of course, it started up fine when I left. Of course, it's never that cold during the day....I suppose the night is the ultimate test (assuming the cold is even a factor...unfortunately, it's the only commonality I can draw so far in my short week of having this carPC).

Comment

I just fought this issue last week it wasnt my powersupply it did it in the car and in the house. Two things that I have narrowed it down to Cheap ram and the red wire on the ribbon cable from my 2.5in drive to the IDE port on the motherboard. It was comming out of the connector. I moved it around and it works. Epia M10k 40gb laptop drive. Have to order new 2.5 inch cable adapter.
                    KIAs can have car pcs too..

Comment

There is no post code for bad power supply. The post code you describe is for ram. Reseat it or try another stick.

Comment

Originally posted by numbers
                        There is no post code for bad power supply. The post code you describe is for ram. Reseat it or try another stick.
                        Sorry but thats what VIA state if its wrong blame them! Ram is 1 short 3 long acording to VIA.

As I stated earlier I got the same error code on mine now and again and it was very definately the power supply, it has now been running for nearly 2 weeks faultlesly on an opus and not a beep to be heard other than the post beep.

Comment

If via has a bad psu post code beep then they get props, but if their bad ram code is 1 short 3 long then then they need to get their heads out of their asses and make some changes. Do you have a link to where you read that?

Comment

was an email from tech support which I dont have anymore it had a whole list of codes in it. Why do you think they need to get their heads out of their asses? 1 short 3 long goes way back to when IBM made real computers. What you think the standard award bios any other beep is ram is a good idea?
                            Again I state that the long beeps was very definately a bad power supply and not ram on mine because a new power supply sorted it out.

Comment

Hey Bash1979 - did you ever figure this out?

I'm having the exact same behaviour with my new M2-ATX: 3 long beeps, everything has power, but no boot and no VGA.

I have a car show tomorrow...I hope someone can help suss this out...

Comment

Working...
                              X