quick ? about usb repeaters

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• quick ? about usb repeaters

I'm tryin to get my slot load dvd running right. My computers in the trunk and the slot load is under the monitor in the front. I've tried running a passive usb to multiple powered/unpowered hubs... as well as directly to the computer with limited success. Naturally i picked up a usb repeater from ebay. Like a dumbass i forgot to check if it was 1.0/2.0 and its a 1.0 repeater. So notta big deal i'll eat the 10 bucks. Gotta get a 2.0 repeater. My question is is there a POWER difference between 1.0 and 2.0? I'm thinkin i'll just use the 1.0 repeater to power the device since it probably wont have the bandwidth neccessary to play a dvd.
    mp3Car.com Senior Tech Blogger (Want a product reviewed? Contact me.)
    Follow Me on Twitter or Facebook
    Live mp3Car Facebook Chat

DVD is about 6Mbps, vs USB1's 10Mbps, so it might be tight but I wouldn't rule it out. Try it.

And I don't think there's any significant power difference between USB 1 & 2.

Comment

i guess it wont hurt to try it first. But my computer is currently outta the car. (cant get into my damn trunk:|)

Comment

i read on the USB site that the nature of USB doesn't allow it to repeat very well...or even at all. Just read about it....could be wrong, but i like to go with the guys who make it over ebay
        Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
        Genesis has speed
        Genesis has class
        Genesis sent money
        before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

depends on what your using it for and how good the cable is..

When I worked at Jaycar Australia we had(still have) 5m USB extention cables that where very effective..there is a limit to howmany you could put togeather but we managed to get a number of usb devices such as gps, flash disk, touch screen to work off around 20-30meters of cable (these cables where not just plain extention cables they had a small component in each end of them which apparently made them work over longer distance..)

Regards

Andrew

Comment

i think that's the limit that is set (30 meters). Just check the site.
            Carputer Progress: Here we go again...

THE GF THEME
            Genesis has speed
            Genesis has class
            Genesis sent money
            before your a__;)

Join the fight against carputters. EMAIL ME!

Comment

well i got it hooked up. applied the repeater.. the disk spins but doesnt ever read :|. So now what?

Comment

I assume it works when connected directly to the comp? I'd say call the repeater crap and move on.

Comment

What about 10' of extension? Is that ok? I would hate to find out that I planned for my comp to be in the back when that really won't work due to distance.
                  My Work Thread:
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72552
                  Source switcher for Lill
                  http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...d=1#post841007

Comment

the only way it works everytime is if i use the 2 foot cable it came with. This of course is NOT an option.

Comment

Working...
                    X