No announcement yet.

Recommend using Set Screw Power Rings?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend using Set Screw Power Rings?

Lemme just give you some background info on what led me to set screw power rings:

I have a 8 gauge output distribution block. One of the holes is being taken up by my amp. The free hole is going to be for the M2-ATX. Since the M2-ATX power wire is 16 or 18 gauge (I can't remember), my problem becomes, "How do I connect a 16 gauge wire to an 8 gauge output?"

I emailed this same problem to Crutchfield and they responded by recommending to use this power set screw -->>

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fJo9hNt....asp?i=211RTS8

Now that power set screw is $20 which seems like an expensive solution. In addition to this solution, I've read that I can just solder an 8 gauge wire to a 16 gauge wire and get power to my M2 that way (fuse on 16 gauge). I've also read that people crimp on rings/quick disconnects to an 8 gauge wire and a 16 gauge wire and connect them that way too.

I was hoping someone could recommend the best way to do this. I'm really hesitant to move forward because I do not want to start a fire. And if you have another way to power the M2 in my situation, I would love to hear it. Thanks for your advice/help.

-Matt

Sure, you can solder. Just be aware that you need to dump alot of heat into it to avoid a cold join, since that's alot more metal than most people are used to soldering. Crimping should also work. The key is to get a nice solid connection between the two wires.

Comment

Originally posted by mushin
      Sure, you can solder. Just be aware that you need to dump alot of heat into it to avoid a cold join, since that's alot more metal than most people are used to soldering. Crimping should also work. The key is to get a nice solid connection between the two wires.
      So it'll take longer than 30 seconds to get the wire hot enough to melt the solder?

EDIT: Nevermind, of course it will.

Thanks for the advice, that's a lot better than buying that $20 set screw power ring.

Comment

Working...
      X