wireless networking newbie

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wireless networking newbie

alright, i think i might be looking into setting up a wireless network from my home puter to my car puter. who out there has done this and what did they use?

is there a preferred setup or system that most people use?

i know there are wireless cards from diamond, and a couple other modem companies, are they sufficient for file transfer?

what about aircards?

ive got a lot of questions, so if anyone could post a general overview of wireless networking, i would be very happy.

thanks all...

~mike
    Single Member of the "1000 Post and No MP3 Car" Club
    PROJECT ON INDEFINATE HOLD... BOUGHT A HOUSE
    2000 Cavalier Z24 [###-------] Only 30% Done ... Still

you may want to go to practicallynetworked.com and check out the wireless guide.

Comment

Make sure you buy 802.11 wireless stuff. You can get rates up to 11Mb per second. The RF wireless stuff is 1 or 2 Mb per sec. I like the Linksys wireless gear. It is cheap and it has ok range.
      I have an access point downstairs and a USB wireless card in the truck. I have good signal about 75 feet away. Your results may vary.
      Let me know if you have more questions.

TY
      2004 F350 Ext. Cab
      System not reinstalled in it yet

Comment

I just bought the Linksys wireless cable modem/dsl router with 4 port switch from www.Amazon.com for $149.99 shipped. It should be here next week.
        I am going to use it hardwired until I get my carputer setup in my car then I will see which card to get to see if it can reach the garage. Then I wanna get a card for my laptop too.
        SP13000|M2-ATX|512MB DDR400|2.5" 7200RPM S-ATA|Trans-7"|Slim SL DVD-CDRW|KEH 5.1 DSP|SB L!ve Ext|Gyration PowerMate|BT|WiFi|GPS|WinXP|VoomPC
        GPSing - Digital Speedo
        Relocating headunit and extending faceplate
        Button app to Alt-Tab between two programs

Comment

I got a pair of Linksys 802.11 USB adapters a while back. Running in Ad-Hoc mode, you don't need a hub. Saves a few bucks.
          My only problem is that I have to run down to the garage to turn the computer on and off...
          http://www.jeepmp3.com/
          CarPC Stolen. Starting over.
          Ne1 recognize the avatar?

Comment

ive seen articles where people get antennas for the hubs... you can get bidirectional, omidirectional etc...they add like +12dB to the signal... the article i saw was a neighborhood that LAN'd themselves together...pretty cool... pool your internel bill and get a t1

Comment

I have 2 Cisco wireless AIR 350's running in Ad-hoc mode (no need for an access point). they seem to work ok but you will need to make a decent antenna for your fixed unit........ I get around 400Metres with an omni-directional antenna (made from a dog food can).

I leave the laptop switched on all the time and when I get within range the mp3 folder syncs with the in car machine. works well with no user input.
              <b> Player </b> 500Mhz PIII on "biscuit" M/B 6GB 2.5" HDD Rand McNally GPS on MS Autoroute software:-( Winamp 6.4"TFT with LVDS input

Comment

I use a Belkin access point and a D-Link DWL-650 in my laptop. I do not yet have the car set up wirelessly, but will be doing so eventually. There's not really a lot more to setting up wireless than there is using wires. Just make up a good SSID and turn on encryption if you're really paranoid.

Personally, I'd reccommend an access point (Infrastructure) if you have an existing network instead of peer-peer (Ad-hoc). Just makes everything run much smoother.
                Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

twinII....

are those similar to the sprint aircard 510's. i have the opportunity to pick up a couple of aircards, but im not sure if i will be able to put one in the car and one in my home puter, and have the kind of connectivity i want. will this give me a terminal-to-terminal connection without having to activate the dial-up feature. since im not looking to do mobile internet, all i want is to be able to pull into my garage/driveway and sync with my home computer and DL files that i have not yet transfered to the car computer.

since i havent had a chance to really do any investigating, (probably this weekend) im kinda unsure about what i can really do. but thanks for the help so far...

~mike

Comment

Access point is definitely the way to go, but it sounds like you would be better of with the "rf" type devices mentioned earlier in the thread.
                    <b> Player </b> 500Mhz PIII on "biscuit" M/B 6GB 2.5" HDD Rand McNally GPS on MS Autoroute software:-( Winamp 6.4"TFT with LVDS input

Comment

I picked up two of the $14 Symphony HRF adapters (how can you go wrong for that price?) the other week, and while i have yet to get them working when im in the car (doesnt help that the computer that has the other adapter is in the basement im sure) the speeds otherwise have been decent as far as some simple file transfers and some web browsing go. The HRF adapters that i have will only do 1.6mpbs, but the HomeRF adapters out there are supposed to do 10 i think.
                      -Nick

Comment

Originally posted by TwinII
                        Access point is definitely the way to go, but it sounds like you would be better of with the "rf" type devices mentioned earlier in the thread.
                        If you are going to do any file transfers you want to go with one of the 802.11 standards. I think Home RF maxes out a 2Mbps

802.11b =11Mbps Good range less $$
                        802.11a = 54Mbps Short range more $$
                        802.11g = 20Mbps Not sure (sorry)
                        2004 F350 Ext. Cab

Comment

HomeRF 1.2 = 1.6mbps (aka Symphony-HRF)
                          HomeRF 2.0 = 10mbps (aka Symphony HomeRF)
                          -Nick

Comment

Well I was close.
                            Thanks for letting me know. I did not know about HRF 2.0. I will have to look into that.

TY
                            2004 F350 Ext. Cab

Comment

alrighty.... thanks for all the info so far.

im leaning toward 802.11 networking set-up. now its time for the idiots guide to setting up your own wireless network...

so if i plan on going through with this i will need an access point on my home pc.... i have a cable modem, so in order to gain access to my files on my home computer will i need an additional DSL router? or can i simply hook it up user to user and skip the AP. obviously, i would need the 802.11 cards installed in both computers. i really dont care about having internet in the car while its in the garage. so as i've said before... all i really want is file transfer capability, if the internet access comes along as a bonus, hey, im not gonna complain!

oh, are the 802.11 cards only available in pcmcia cards, or can you find them pci or usb?

i dont want to make the mistake of buying the wrong stuff, so i want to get this nailed down before i make any purchases.

~mike

Comment

Working...
                              X