Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone give me a final thumbs up before I commit to my car PC config?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone give me a final thumbs up before I commit to my car PC config?

Ok. So i've done my homework. Figured out my way to go. Figured out what I have, what I need, and what I want. Here's where I'm at right now:

I have, already:
    2.4 ghz pentium 4, 512 mb l2 cache, 400 mhz fsb. I assume this is the williamette chip
    Lilliput 7" touchscreen model 619-
    Mr2 to install into

I am set to purchase, if it seems compatible:

Mobo:
    ASUS P4V8X-MX Socket 478 VIA P4M800 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

HSF:
    Thermaltake P4 SPARK7+ 70mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan - Retail

AGP Vid Card:
    SAPPHIRE 100562L-GN Radeon 9600PRO 256MB DDR AGP 4X/8X Video Card - Retail

Sata Laptop HDD:
    SAMSUNG SpinPoint M40 Series HM060II 60GB 5400 RPM Serial ATA150 Notebook Hard Drive - OEM

System Memory:
    Kingston 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 333 (PC 2700) Unbuffered System Memory Model KVR333/512R - Retail

Power Supply:
    Mp3Car DSATX 220 Watt Automotive Power Supply

So that's what I've settled on. From the looks of it, That power source should be barely adequate for my system. I am pretty set on my hardware config, unless something very comperable would use considerably less juice.

One PCI Slot will be used for a wireless card. I intend to buy either a bu353 or the Roof top gps/wifi antenna. I'll need to research those more as time passes. Right now I want to get the basic system started out.

My main concern, of course, is power. I've done all of the power calculators and it looks like, from the information I'm understanding (I'm not an EE Major or professional), that the dsatx should work for me, but barely.

I remember reading somewhere that the dsatx is an unregulated power supply. Is that going to cause a problem with my config? My mr2 has a new 130 amp alternator and dry cell battery, so the charging system shouldn't be an issue.

If anybody sees anything wrong with my plans, please let me know, but dont tell me "you dont need that good a computer in the car". I have my reasons.

Thanks
    -dan

holy ****. Nobody has an opinion for me?

Comment

In the span of eight hours, no.
      Some forum members have lives that draw them away from the 'net on weekends.

Your setup looks fine, with the possible exception of the video card. The combined draw on 12v between the 60-65w CPU and the video card (which could very likely draw that much or more!) could overtax the DSATX. If you run into power problems, the vbideo card is the first thing I'd replace.

And you don't need that much computing horsepower in the car, but it sure is nice to have!
      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
      How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Try moving to a board with on-board video instead of adding an AGP card. Unless you're going to be playing Doom 3, World of War Craft, etc you will only need the on-board video. Something like a MSI board will work nice.

Comment

would this setup definitely run on the DSATX with onboard video? I like to play n64 emulators, and might consider the novelty of having a small lan party in the mr2 with one player on the carpc, one player on my laptop in the passenger seat.

I never know why I need the power, but i'm sure i will sooner or later, and I don't want it to not be there, ya know?

-dan

Comment

As I said before. The video card makes it iffy.
            And you DON'T need the power, especially the video card.

What's the point of asking the same question again after you've been given an answer? Looking for a second opinion?
            How about the Wiki?

Comment

The on-board video is the optimal way to go. The video card will put far less power than any AGP or PCI version. For a carPC I don't think there is anything you will be able to run that WONT work 100% on an on-board video card.

I own a computer store. When we build computers for customers we evaluate their needs.

Q: What are you going to do with your computer?
              A: Its a capPC so you just want the basics

Q: Are purchasing the computer for business, home, gaming, etc:
              A: You're looking for a small home computer

Any motherboard you find that has on-board video will also have an AGP slot or PCI-X16 slot for upgrading the video down the road. Unless you're playing a high end game you wont need anything better then an on-board card. In fact, if you do plan on playing on-board games 160w is severly underpowered as most gaming systems come with 500W+ PSU.

Everything you have is high end for a carPC. The processor is quite high end and the memory is excellent. If you compare a laptop to a desktop, no mobile computers have 2.4GHz processors because you usualy don't need the power. Most of the carPCs here are running a ITX board with on-board video and 1GHz processor.

Your parts list will definatly work.

One thing you are missing is an IDE to Laptop hard drive converter:
              http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...products_id=35

Where is the optical drive (CD or DVD)? If you go with a slimline you'll need an adapter for that too, like a USB case.

Comment

The hard drive is a sata drive. Does that adaptor still apply? Also, will the onboard video handle at least n64 alright?

Comment

the onboard video will handel any emulator because the orginal games were far inferior to computer graphics.

Comment

goldeneye uses 1.5 ghz of processing power plus direct x graphics.

Comment

Different Video Card, and something people on this site dont mention enough is the idea of UNDERclocking. Bring that processsor down to 2.0Ghz if you find that youare skirting to close to the edge with that power supply.

Comment

wonderful idea. I might consider that. I think for now, I might just try to run with the onboard video. I'll see how it works for me. I could settle with the processor running as slow as 1.4-1.5 ghz, if it would allow me the ability to run the video appz that I want.

I've just started delving into the realm of front ends and hooked up my touchscreen to the laptop to see what its capable of. I think n64 gaming might be the limit of the gaming going on in the car, but then again, I never know.

Thanks for the recommendation phatmonky.

Does anybody have any suggestions on whether or not I should run an external regulator with the DSATX or if it's just safe to run it straight off an ignition 12v wire.

thanks again guys
                        -dan

Comment

Originally posted by WoLLy
                          Does anybody have any suggestions on whether or not I should run an external regulator with the DSATX or if it's just safe to run it straight off an ignition 12v wire.
                          You really need to do some reading up on the pieces/parts you intend to use, man.
                          The DSATX does not need an external regulator.

Seriously, man. We all know you're excited and have 80 gazillion questions about how to pull this off and get it working to your satisfaction.
                          But you need to stop, think, plan, write stuff down, take notes, and so on.

I joined this site nearly two years ago and due to lots of planning and lack of finances, I finally have a system in my truck. And I'm nowhere near complete.
                          Go to the FAQ Emporium and do some reading. Go to the Show Off Your Project forum and get some ideas and inspiration. Go to manufacturer's websites of various products you're considering and read up on them. PM fourm members about their hardware, their install, or a particular component you're interested in.

It's called research and, believe it or not, it's good for you.
                          How about the Wiki?

Comment

Originally posted by DarquePervert
                            It's called research and, believe it or not, it's good for you.
                            The man knows much of what he speaks. I was the same way not even a month ago. But in the process of looking for your answers, you'll also learn more than you would ever have imagined. It's much better to go looking yourself and then come back with very specific questions, if any at all. I'm still gung ho about my install, but it's unfortunately stalled due to having to install a new engine in the car. Talk about frustrating!!!
                            My Worklog

Comment

Believe it or not, i've done that. I'm not sure if this paragraph is going to come out as coherent or just some nonsensical rambling, as I actually woke up two or three minutes minutes ago. I've been doing research on carputers for years now, a bit here, a bit there. I've read most of the faq emporium, any stickied threads I've seen, probably looked at every project installed in the show and shine section, and anything else I could get my hands on.

I've done my research, but it's difficult. I have a job where I do nothing but sit on the internet, but I can only get to the sites I have my network admin unblock, so I'm pretty limited. It makes it hard to check manufacturer websites and verify compability between components.

Either way, I wasn't asking to be spoonfed, I was more asking for the opinions of some of those that are more in the know than I.

I've got those opinions and I appreciate them. I'll be ordering my stuff in a short while, and I'll keep you posted as things progress. Darque, you've contributed to this community in so many ways in so many posts I've come across in my time here, and I want to thank you for your help in that way.

-dan

Comment

Working...
                              X