Signal degredation down USB

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signal degredation down USB

I'm trying to learn a bit more about audio on computers and in my quest, I'm starting at one point and moving on to the end...

my starting point is with the DVD/CD drive and the USB cable.

I would have a hard time believing that there would NOT be a difference in the quality and the quality of the signal between drives and USB cables, not to mention converters (laptop IDE to full size IDE, IDE to USB, etc).

Is there a web page out there that might be beneficial?

Is there somoene reading this that feels that they are pretty knowledgable on the subject?

I'd love to hear what you have to say!

I wanna learn something here!
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

While I agree that different hardware would have a differnce in the quality of the (analogue) electrical signal, because the information is digitally encoded, there's going to be no difference in the final output until it degrades to the point error correction can't compensate and it fails entirely (at which point the device in question will not work at all.)

Audio quality isn't going to be affected by the digital data path: what's going to affect it is the a) initial quality of the encoding, b) quality of the DAC, and c) everything downstream of the analogue conversion

Comment

Yea, digital audio is digital audio, and since cds/dvds are digital to begin with the digital to analogue conversion shouldn't happen until the signal hits the sound card (just a guess, i don't really know if this is the case or not) so IMO, a cd/dvd played on an external USB cd/dvd drive should sound identical to one played on an internal IDE drive, assuming the sound card/speakers/other analogue equipment is the same.............i think

Comment

it makes sense, i'm just trying to be sure!
        Jan Bennett
        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

Working...
        X