Breaking 7805 Pins

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breaking 7805 Pins

Im having difficulty keeping the 7805 regulator in working condition. is there some sort of connector or something that slides over it to keep this from happening?
    cheers
    98 V6 Camry XLE
    Status-Everything is working again!
    No progress while I am in NYC
    Ze Worklog

Are you breaking the pins or burning it out?

Comment

breaking the pins, i doubt im burning it out. have only had draw on it for 5-10 mins @.08a
      98 V6 Camry XLE
      Ze Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by Anshu
        breaking the pins, i doubt im burning it out. have only had draw on it for 5-10 mins @.08a
        How are you breaking them???

Michael
        ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

i guess im being to rough with the unit itself. the first time i broke it when soldering on the wires, 2nd time i broke it off when placing the unit
          98 V6 Camry XLE
          Ze Worklog

Comment

Originally posted by Anshu
            i guess im being to rough with the unit itself. the first time i broke it when soldering on the wires, 2nd time i broke it off when placing the unit

I guess be more careful

I have used many 7805 in my days. Sometimes on board, sometimes not. Never had an issue breaking any pins, especially when soldering to the leads. THat doesn't seem like a time for them to break.

Michael
            ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

Yeah that is really strange, I mean I know they don't like to be bent that much, but they should survive at least 6 or 7 bends before they even think about breaking.
              肚子笑痛了
              S60 Install

Comment

this thread is useless without pics!
                Roy

2005 Range Rover 4.4
                Any ideas for putting a PC in this? :)

Comment

are they breaking at the base of the the ceramic or is there some lead left? I'm just trying to get an idea of how you could be breaking these things.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLlama
                    are they breaking at the base of the the ceramic or is there some lead left? I'm just trying to get an idea of how you could be breaking these things.

The only thing I can think of is that he is using a 250 watt Soldering gun, and it is breaking at the ceramic. Nothing else really makes sense unless and until the OP tells us/shows us more.

Michael

Comment

A 3 pin computer fan connector will work.

Let me guess, these 7805s are from Radio Shack. I had one from there that a lead broke off at the ceramic, from being bent only 4 times without heat.

Comment

yea they are the ones from radioshack. ill try and get a pic of them later. essentially the pin breaks right where it connects to the plastic part.
                        98 V6 Camry XLE
                        Ze Worklog

Comment

are you soldering the component to a PCB or is it just floating? If floating, then you may want to solder wires onto the leads then fasten the wires to the comonent's package with a zip-tie, shrink-wrap, or something. This will act as a stress relief for the pins.

If you are mounting to a PCB then try lowering your temp and don't manipulate the thing so much

I hope you aren't using radioshack solder too. I used some of that stuff before and I think it was 100% tin and barely had any rosin. I think you need the "high-tech" solder from them if you want any lead

Comment

cheers. ill have to try that 3rd time around. and forturnatly no im not using ratshack crap solder.
                            thanks
                            98 V6 Camry XLE
                            Ze Worklog

Comment

Working...
                            X