DIY Decibel meter?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Decibel meter?

I have been googling for quite a bit and cant quite come up with anything I like.

basically I need something that can measure sound levels in dB and then output to an 3 or 4 character LCD. Maybe something fancier, but thats the gist of it.

In the Matrix/Vibe dash there is a "window"

Click image for larger version

Name:	matrix02-radio.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	2297031

that is basically a backlit "Passenger PUT ON YER DAMN SEATBELT!" warning that flashes. Its works when a pressure sensor in the passenger seat is triggered. I have mine currently disconnected, because its mad gizz-ay.

I want to put something of use there, why not something that gives me a feedback on how badly I am destroying my ears! No I do not want to use this for SPL contests or anything, just myself.

I wondered if anyone knew of some neato DIY websites that sell kits and whatnot that I am not finding.
    (All done)
    iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

that's something you'll probably have to put together yourself (or have somebody else do it). i have never really heard of anything like you described as a marketed product. shouldn't be too hard to put together if you know what you're doing though.

Comment

I've seen a cheap kit at an electrical store... but I dont know how high up it went. cool idea.

Comment

http://www.action-electronics.com/db...htm#Economical

hack one of those apart?
        Core duo
        1tb harddrive
        256 ddr
        8 lilliput
        bu-353

still installing...

Comment

Thats what I was thinking but I mean its gotta be so cheap and simple to do the following:

wire up a dB meter "kit"

to

a backlit LCD 3 character screen
          (All done)
          iPad Mini 128GB, RF 600.5 amp, JL12W0V2, 8 Infinity Components

Comment

Working...
          X