This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• soundblaster live 5.1

I tried a soundblaster live in my mp3 player. This card makes some difference in sound quality but the biggest benifit is the voltage levels on the line outs. With my old isa awe64 gold i had to turn the gains on my amps all the way up. With the soundblaster live i have the gains at 1/4 and could still go a little lower. Higher line out voltage levels help greatly in fighting noise interference. I believe the line out of the soundblaster live to be higher than any headunit i have ever tried. That includes my old clarion drx9375r that had 4volt outputs.
    mike
    91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Thats good to hear, as I am working on my system with a 5.1 going directly to an amp. Thanks!!

Comment

Michael,

How many of the outputs of the 5.1 are you using? How many/what channel amps are you outputting to?

Just curious, Im buying my amps soon!

_ ____________________________ _
      12VPC
      http://www.owlmeat.com

Comment

I'm using an Audigy (same damn thing) and running it directly to my amps. I have 2 amps and I run it as follows:

Front Audidy Out = Amp 1 Channels 1-2 = Front speakers
        Rear Audigy Out = Amp 1 Channels 3-4 = Rear speakers
        Rear Audigy Out = Amp 2 Bridged = Sub

I used standard miniplus to rca wires. I wish I could run the sub on a separate channel, but the front/sub out line on the audigy sucks. Basically adjusting the bass level does exactly that (adjusts the sub) because everything is crossed over.
        ----
        BMW Speed Freak
        7" Redant, ATI AIW, IR, SB Audigy, 1600watts
        325hp Supercharged Straight Six
        http://www.end2endintegration.com

Comment

why do say the sub out sucks? I use it for my setup.

front = crossfire cfa 302 or something 150x2 for frontstage
          rear = kennwood amp for rear fill. 75x2
          sub = precision power pc2150 (98 model) 600x1 into 4 ohms

I dont remember if the sub uses the left or right channel on my 1/8 phono to rca converter wire, but i use that and a single female to dual male phono adapter to get to the amp.

The sub level is a ***** to get to while driving, its burried in that audiohq menu thing under the advanced tab. (going to try to fix that) But i have no complaints about the quality of the audio output itself. Some xover settings would be cool (maybe infenetly variable from 40hz - 80 hz but i just use the xover in my amp anyway and i am very happy with being able to adjust the sub level with the computer.

mike
          91 cadillac sedan deville, winXP, FV25 with Celeron 800, Redant 7" widescreen in dash, Opus DC-DC, Irman, Digital Cable remote(lots of buttons), 120 gig 7200rpm 8meg cache WD hard drive, VI power mobile HD rack, mediaengine

Comment

Hmm...When I was testing out my setup, I didn't get a steady output from the center/sub channel. For those of you who don't have a SB5.1, there are 3 miniplugs out. 1 - Front, 1 - Rear, and 1 - Center/Sub. I'm not sure how they expect you to use the same channel for both your sub and your center channel, but that how they have it setup.

I tried adjusting the levels out to the "center/sub" channel, but I wasn't getting any volume. Instead, I routed the Rear Channel Out to both my rear speakers and my sub. (All 11 speakers in my car are already crossed over). When I adjust the bass level, my system acts essentially like the sub is on a separate channel as my other speakers already have those bass frequencies cut out.

I would prefer to use the "center/sub" channel if I could get it to work. If you actually got it to work like this, let me know, and I'll see if I can get mine to work.
            ----
            BMW Speed Freak

Comment

BMW Speed Freak - Nice site!

Hey I like your site BMW Speed Freak!

When do we get to see some info on your super charger?
              1983 BMW 733i
              Cyrix 166 32MB with MPXPLAY And no display. Player sits on the back seat with a keypad in front. Someday I'll mount this thing for good...
              Gathering parts for carplayer v2.0!

Comment

the 5.1 card sounds too cool not to have one!!!

might be my next purchase me thinks! Anything with greater volume output can't be bad for the car environment at all....
                Project - GAME OVER :(

Comment

I guess I'll have to get off my butt and finish up my website, including the pictures of my supercharger install. I've been holding off because I would like to add some streaming media to give you a real idea of what its like to ride in my car. Unfortunately, my DV cam was stolen in December when my car was robbed, and my damn insurance company hasn't paid me anything yet...crooks...
                  ----
                  BMW Speed Freak

Comment

BMW Spead Freak

You are missing the fact that the sub channel and center channel are mono, not stereo. So the center channel, which never has an output unless you watch dvd's comes out what is supposed to be the right channel on the miniplug and the sub comes out what is supposed to be the left channel on the miniplug. They might be reversed, but i think thats right.

My amp still takes input from both left and right inputs when it is bridged so i had to get a y adapter to split the mono sub signal to both amp input channels. I wrapped the center output with electrical tape and left it hanging in the trunk.

Some amps when you bridge them only take input from the left channel, i know kennwoods do that.

I made a diagram but the board wont let me attach a file while edititing a post, look for my next post for a diagram

mike

Comment

I have an Audigy card and the volume on startup always resets to about 75% on the MP3/wav level and 50% on the master, this almost blows the speakers and is loud enough to be painfull.
                      I'm running win ME stripped down and winamp as well as the SB software
                      This is almost ready to go carbound (I got next week off from work) but not till this is solved
                      also has anyone tried winamp3 with winME
                      If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

I run winme with a sblive 5.1 with no problems. Call sounblaster tech support. If you have an oem card like i do they wont help you, so dont give them the number off the card if they ask you if you have an oem. Also i woudnt tell them that winme is stripped down if i were you. That could be the problem though. The soundcard could be saving the last volume position to a location that you removed from the os and it is going back to the default on startup. Thats just a wild guess though. I would call soundblaster.
                        mike

Comment

I think I'll need to hit the package store on the way home from work before I call SB tech support

This is also a recent problem, and I have not changed any of the software or settings?? F*@#BILL@!#*GATES@!#!!@
                          If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

Comment

Diagram
                            the message board says its too big. its only 725kb, if anyone wants it i can email it to them

mike

Comment

Working...
                            X