hard drive skipping!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hard drive skipping!

hello, i just installed my carputer and everything looks great, well in my eyes, and well, i was excited cause now i get to listen to all my mp3s without the skipping of cds. well anyway, im listening to my music, have the bass turned up high, so im pounding. btw, the computer is installed in a center console, away from the woofer, and every while in a while, the tracks start skipping, like if i was listening to a cd and driving over bumps. I have the hard drive mounted vertically and ive read that it shouldnt make a difference. It only skips when i got the bass turned up. what could be causing this? and more importantly, how can i stop it? thanks

This could be a daft idea of mine but here goes, when your bass is turned up it uses more power and when you use more power the comnputer is picking up the skiping on the HDD when you hit a bump or the vibrations from the bass is making it do it
    [B]Car Computer 98%[|||||||||-]
    Install Plan 100%[||||||||||]
    Styling 20%[||--------]
    Install 0%[----------]

Comment

Originally posted by madkad
      This could be a daft idea of mine but here goes, when your bass is turned up it uses more power and when you use more power the comnputer is picking up the skiping on the HDD when you hit a bump or the vibrations from the bass is making it do it
      Power issue, is my first thought on where to look.
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

so what is recommended to do then, put on some damping pads on the hard drive or dont turn up the bass? and besides, its NOT a lot of bass. im running one 12" pionner with a 200 watt amp. its not alot

Comment

damping pads would only stop the HDD from bouncing not the insides from vibrating, I would say make sure your base is set to a nice height and dont be one of them people that have the base over the tunes to get the people looking when you drive past
          Styling 20%[||--------]
          Install 0%[----------]

Comment

Via Epia board with onboard audio?
            I ask because using the wrong drivers for this (the outdated ones) can have an effect very similar to this.
            My Work Thread:
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72552
            Source switcher for Lill
            http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...d=1#post841007

Comment

no, im using a dell gx260 with onboard audio.

Comment

does the skipping happen if that computer is not in the car? does it happen when the audio volume in the car (particularly the bass) is low? My thoughts would be if it always happens, maybe the files are bad or the hard drive needs a defrag. It if only happens in the car when moving or in the car when bass is loud, then it may be a vibration thing...
                ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

no, i had it in my house during its bench test and no it didnt do that. Once in the car with low bass, no skipping, just when i turn it up so thats why i believe that the vibration is causing the arms to skip while reading

Comment

Is it a 3.5" harddrive? How did you power it? 3.5"ers need a more stable 12v line. I think the woofer uses quite a bit of voltage so it might drop the 12v for that beat. If the beat is too long, then longer drop, then it doesn't align right and <<skip>>. So I guess along with the 2 above ?'s, also this: Does the skipping happen at the same time as when the bass note goes off, or just a little bit later?
                    Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
                    1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
                    30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
                    15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
                    Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

OK, so i guess the best thing would be to find some anti-vibration material that you could mount the computer or hard drive to. Does the bass cause at rattling in the car when cranked up? I've seen some other people mount "shock/vibration" absorbers that they fab'd for the hard drive. Is the drive 2.5" or 3.5"? The 2.5" drives tend to have more shock/vibration protection since they are designed for mobile platforms...
                      ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

This is not a motion or vibration issue.... it's POWER related.
                        TruckinMP3
                        D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

That's a hdd, no a funky old vinyl ! Even if a bass vibe could have such an impact, a HDD has a buffer....

If it's not a loosy audio cable.... it is a POWER ISSUE. Rewire the power line of your PC (Batt-->PSU) with thicker wires.
                          Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

ok, im using 2 hdd actually. one 2.5 for the os and the apps and a 3.5 for the media. im running a, i believe, 6 gauge cable from the batt to the back, from there, i got a power distro box with 8 gauge cable, one to the amp, the other to the dsatx. i have a ground box grounding both too. the dsatx is powering, the dell gx260, 2 hdd, 2 fans, a pair of blue leds, the k301, 2 usb hubs with 6 devices and an external dvd player. i was thinking that maybe it might be lack of power. u think im powering alot of devices at some with the dsatx. i use the calc and it said that i was within limits. thats why i choosed that psu

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
                              This is not a motion or vibration issue.... it's POWER related.
                              yer lol I said that but only u seen
                              Styling 20%[||--------]
                              Install 0%[----------]

Comment

Working...
                              X