USB1.1 and 2.0 incompatibility

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB1.1 and 2.0 incompatibility

I understand that it is possible (although not always the case), that pugugging a USB1.1 device into a hub along with 2.0 devices may cause all the devices to run at 1.1 speed.

To resolve this problem I plan on running 2 USB hubs up front.

My question though is how far down the chain does this problem persist.

Senario 1. I run a single usb2.0 hub from the PC to the front. I then connect two more USB hubs to the 1st hub, 1 running 1.1 devices the other 2.0 devices. Does the problem persist back through the central hub (I.e. this doesnt solve the problem).

Senario 2. I run two hubs from the PC to the front. Does this solve the problem.

I'd rather just run the one cable as in scenario 1 even though it requires an additional hub.

Kicker... At the moment I am using an older Dell laptop (this will change but I'd like all the cabling to remain the same) This laptop does not have USB2.0 ports, instead I am running a PCMCIA card with 4 USB 2.0 ports. Could the problem persist all the way back to the PCMCIA card? Meaning that running any 1.1 devices will slow everything down?
    (Even here scenario 2 would work as I could run the 1.1 devices off a hub connected to the laptops native 1.1 port.

Thanks...Paul

Split 2.0 & 1.1 immediately.

Mobo -> Hub 1.1 -> 1.1 peripherals
    Mobo -> Hub 2.0 -> 2.0 peripherals.
    Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

aye. safest way

also spit high usb2 usage items. ed DVd drive and HDD.

Comment

some hubs allow you to run 1.1 and 2.0 at full speed without problems but most dont and they dont tent to advertise this feature.

Comment

Working...
        X