No announcement yet.

Cannot start desktop 300w psu through pin mod! For use to power m2-atx at home

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot start desktop 300w psu through pin mod! For use to power m2-atx at home

Hi

Can anyone help my with this?

I received my m2-atx today and want to test it with my carpc at home, before i actually insert everything into my car.

The problem is i cannot make my 300W desktop psu power up by using the cable mod i've found in the forum.

Ive read that i have to link the GREEN cable on the ATX connector to a ground BLACK cable in that same connector, and that that would make the psu start.

Well, it doesnt!!

Can anyone help? I need to make this possible so i can then have my m2-atx run off the molex conectors so i can test it on my carpc on my desk!!!

Thanks.
    MSI KM4M-V Mobo -- AMD Athlon XP-M 1900+ -- 512MB DDR RAM -- LinITX 7" Touchscreen -- Seagate 8.4GB HDD -- LG DVDRW -- Onboard Graphics Card -- Onboard 5.1 surround sound -- Bluetooth Dongle -- RoyalTek Saphire GPS -- M2-ATX psu

isnt a desktop psu AC-DC

if you are connecting it straight to the battery... it needs to be DC-DC (is that what the pin mod does? never heard of it)
    2004 Impreza WRX CarPC Install

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

he's trying to use the AC-DC power supply to power his DC-DC power supply, so he can test it indoors.

as far as the original question... well I don't have an M2-ATX, but here's some ideas... how do you have the M2 configured to start up? I have not tried running a DC-DC with SDC off an ATX supply personally, but I have used ATX supplies to power things on my workbench. Many of them require some minimum current load to operate; in my case I put a power resistor between the +5v rail and ground (something like 5 ohm 10 watt). In your case, if your ATX supply required a minimum load, you'd be relying on the M2 to draw enough power to keep it on... but if the SDC is not configured for instant-on or whatever, then that wouldn't happen. If that is the problem, then you could try setting the M2 to power up immediately when it receives power (if that's possible), or you could try buying a power resistor and doing what I did, to try to force the ATX supply to run regardless of what the M2 is doing.
      But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
      Originally posted by Viscouse
      I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
      eegeek.net

Comment

oh... heh, no idea then :P

I am willing to host any legal downloads that may benefit the CarPC community - PM for info

"When you go 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, you don't need a made up character called fast. Thats what makes a Subaru, a Subaru."

DG4L

Comment

It gives power but no fan activity

Hey

Guys thanks for input.

I thought about it, and connected a cd-rom to one of the molex on the atx psu.

this should force the psu to turn on as it needs 5v and 12v feeds.

So used the clip to turn it on via the atx connector and it powered the cd-rom BUT!

Click image for larger version

Name:	iRoNiC010.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	2253384

The psu does not turn "on" as normal. THe fan does not start,it just provides power to the cd-rom.

I dont like this as i'm affraid it will burn without the fan cooling it on the inside.

What you guys think i could do?

PS: The fan works ok...lol
          MSI KM4M-V Mobo -- AMD Athlon XP-M 1900+ -- 512MB DDR RAM -- LinITX 7" Touchscreen -- Seagate 8.4GB HDD -- LG DVDRW -- Onboard Graphics Card -- Onboard 5.1 surround sound -- Bluetooth Dongle -- RoyalTek Saphire GPS -- M2-ATX psu

Comment

DO NOT run it, you will make your PSU blow up (or at least smoke)

it gets VERY VERY VERY hot in it, and something WILL fail

DG4L

Comment

negative!

Nohting will happen, ur only switching it on, by jumping the greeen with black, its like a on/off switch.

It works fine now.

It powers my m2 no problems.

But i think that theres summin wrong with my m2atx coz it starts my pc but 1 min later it shutdown all of a sudden.

i restart it, and same thing happens.

im writing to mini-box support for illumination lol

Any of you guys know whats wrong please post!!

Comment

try disconnecting peripherials that suck power, but yeah... it seems broken

DG4L

Comment

M2 perfect!!

My m2 was perfect when i connected it to the car battery.

check out my other thread with pics.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=76216

seems psu is ok for running pc, but lacks the "quality" needed by the m2 to keep itself powered.

Cheers!

Comment

very strange. I setup my pc in that way on a psu at home. it could be that you have a faulty atx supply. but hey, if it's all workin that's great stuff
                    Current:
                    [BMW E46 ///M3 Convertible]

Previous:
                    [BMW E31 850CSi]|[BMW E39 535i]|[BMW HVAC Research]|[IBUS Scrolling Text]|[BMPuter]|[Velocity]|[TomTom]|[Vision]|[Space Navigator Driver]|[Super Fast Boot]

Comment

Working...
                    X