Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

best method to take slim slot load dvd drive to USB ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best method to take slim slot load dvd drive to USB ?

I know I'm probably kicking a dead horse here, but I'm wondering what the best way to take a slim slot loading DVD drive to USB.. I will have the PC in the trunk, the DVD drive in the dash.

ALL the adapters i've seen that take a slim dvd drive to usb won't work, because on my slim drive, the JRE (is that right?) connector is upside-down..

I bought one, it works, but it hangs off the side of the drive, and takes up too much space. Is there an adapter that goes straight from the inverted JRE connector to USB 2.0, that is made specifically for it?

Or will I have to convert the JRE connector to IDE, then IDE to USB?

Also, I know I will have to run 5v from the PSU to power it.

Just curious if you guys could help me out, where to buy it, or show me pictures of what to get specifically...

Sorry for beating the dead horse again, and thanks for any help!

//edit:
    oh btw, this is what I'm talking about, this guy has a similar adapter as i do for his slim slot loader drive.. and it hangs off to the side.

ok so i'm gonna try something here. I found a really cheap imac adapter that's supposed to be what I need to take it to IDE.

here's a picture of the one that looks exactly like the one I got:
    http://www.welovemacs.com/imac233cdboard.html

I notice it doesn't have any kind of power connectors.. is that normal? I figured it would need some 5v power source.

I am also getting an IDE to USB adapter.

Will all of this work together? I hope so... seems like a round about way to go about it..

*crosses fingers*

Comment

http://www.mapower.com.tw/mapower/Pr...D=92&LineID=11 would something like that not have worked?

not sure I understand the being backwards/upside down thing though
      Jan Bennett
      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

well, it does work ... that's like the first one I got.

I have a slim slot loader DVD drive .. i'm assuming it came out of an iMac, because at the time I bought it, they were the only ones available..

Because of that, it's not like your normal slim cdrom drive.. the connector on the back of the drive is actually inverted, or upside-down... so this dvd drive has a specific adapter for it.

It may be kind of hard to understand, but I'll post pics when everything comes in..

Comment

mkay - guess it must have been a LONG time ago...lol

I was under the impression that the macs used the same drives....but I'm by far not a mac person any more...heh
          Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

yeah i'm not either, i learned the hard way lol...

here's a link where you can see a picture of someone using the adapter you suggested (something similar to it anyway, it's the standard slim cdrom drive to IDE adapter)

http://www.mini-itx.com/projects/humidorpc/
            the 3rd picture down.. you can see how the adapter actually hangs off to one side where the ide ribbon plugs into it..

Comment

interesting....
              Jan Bennett

Comment

Working...
              X