Super Strong CDRom!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super Strong CDRom!

I think i want to raise my screen with a cdrom is this at all possible I sen it discussed but never finished. The tiny motor in the cdrom is worthless it can hardly move a can of coke.
    So i was thinking... why dont i replace it with a motor with more torque.. the motor in there seems to be simply a bipolar motor but hows its controlled is a mystery to me
    there are 2 guide switches that ground out when the reach the all the way in or out positions. but besides that i cant seem to trace much else on the board

if i could run it simply by using a motor and 2 stop switches that would be ideal because then i could run a 12v motor. assuming the stop switches dont get overpowered.

where can i source some 25mm motors and can i
    1) get a 5v one and just run it intact as a cdrom with hella torque
    2) get a 12v one and run it with no cdrom at all just the motor
    3) anything im overlooking?

thanks guys
    .______
    | '_ |__\___
    [(o)|___(o)] XB
    ._________
    | I__I I_I|_\__I
    [(o)______(o)]b VanPimpin'

LostReceptions Apps D/L Here

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

Draw- SkribblePad for Touchscreens

iGQwerty-iG3.0 Qwerty Keyboard

CarPCNetwork

Plastic gears.
    Failure is not an option....

It's installed by default on every version of Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by BarryWoods
      Plastic gears.
      as in
      .______
      | '_ |__\___
      [(o)|___(o)] XB
      ._________
      | I__I I_I|_\__I

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

CarPCNetwork

Comment

Originally posted by lostreception
        as in
        I think he means that plastic gears would be something you've overlooked.

If you place a stronger motor and add more weight to be moved, the plastic gears in the CDROM's housing might not take the stress.

Most of the CDROMs I've owned could have the tray out in 2 seconds or less.
        I've never seen a motorized screen pull out that fast.
        Maybe instead of switching the motor out you could arrange the gears differently so that it would yield to better torque and slower motion?
        For Sale: Carputer (CarPC) & RCA Y-Adapter
        Newsflash: Take a look at my unsold stuff above, thanks!
        Up Next: Make an OBD to Serial cable & Redo the "MMI buttons"

Comment

I've tried this before, you're right the motor's really weak. You're also right the motor can be changed for a more powerful one. This creates 2 issues. first, the new motor will likely be faster and will launch your screen out the sunroof. Second, if the new motor is powerful enough to actually lift the screen, it ends up bending the crap out of the plastic retaining parts and also stripping the plastic gears.

IMO you should try to go about it a different way.

Comment

If you have the $$, get a linear actuator.

If you don't, experiment with fabbing something similar to a screwjack assembly. Many cars use them for their scissors-type jack. You would drive a threaded rod with the motor and could run the threaded rod through a captured nut that is embedded in the frame that holds your screen. When the threaded rod turns, the screen frame, which could be mounted on tracks, would raise.

If you don't have a lot of room underneath the screen, duplicating the scissors jack is also an option.
            Originally posted by ghettocruzer
            I was gung ho on building a PC [until] just recently. However, between my new phone having internet and GPS and all...and this kit...Im starting to have trouble justfiying it haha.
            Want to:
            -Find out about the new iBug iPad install?
            -Find out about carPC's in just 5 minutes? View the Car PC 101 video

Comment

Just to add to Bugbytes post, another way to do a "poor mans" linear actuator is to go to the local hobby store and buy a piece of all thread rod. They come about 12" long. Use some collars to attach it to a motor, and use a block with a hole tapped in it as the slider. Find a siutable channel for it to fit in, or make something- and thats it. Easy as it gets, and because of the type of gear reduction (worm drive) it will be forced to hold position. Notice how a cd rom doesnt stay in the position the motor stops in. This unit will.

This is kind of what I am talking about, except the threaded part can be very long if needed, and the round "block" would be whatever you wanted it to be.
              2005 Ford Focus ST

Comment

Has anybody thought of using servos for RC applications? You can get all sorts of diffrent torque and power ratings.

Comment

Originally posted by gospeed.racer
                  Just to add to Bugbytes post, another way to do a "poor mans" linear actuator is to go to the local hobby store and buy a piece of all thread rod. They come about 12" long. Use some collars to attach it to a motor, and use a block with a hole tapped in it as the slider. Find a siutable channel for it to fit in, or make something- and thats it. Easy as it gets, and because of the type of gear reduction (worm drive) it will be forced to hold position. Notice how a cd rom doesnt stay in the position the motor stops in. This unit will.

This is kind of what I am talking about, except the threaded part can be very long if needed, and the round "block" would be whatever you wanted it to be.
                  i loked into this and the motor you posted is 24vdc and stepper not the cheapest way to go but i like the idea

what should i search for i need a 5vDC or 12vDC hightorque worm gear or linear motion motor

ive alos considered crank axle gear boxes but im not sure if it will have enough torque
                  .______
                  | '_ |__\___
                  [(o)|___(o)] XB
                  ._________
                  | I__I I_I|_\__I

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

CarPCNetwork

Comment

Originally posted by Bugbyte
                    If you have the $$, get a linear actuator.

If you don't, experiment with fabbing something similar to a screwjack assembly. Many cars use them for their scissors-type jack. You would drive a threaded rod with the motor and could run the threaded rod through a captured nut that is embedded in the frame that holds your screen. When the threaded rod turns, the screen frame, which could be mounted on tracks, would raise.

If you don't have a lot of room underneath the screen, duplicating the scissors jack is also an option.
                    im still at los on where to get a motor and threaded rod all the hobby shp here to RC only it seems and some not even that any online sorces for goodie like this bugbyte ive found some sites but there mainly medical supliers or whoesalers
                    .______
                    | '_ |__\___
                    [(o)|___(o)] XB
                    ._________
                    | I__I I_I|_\__I

GPSGasoline- Rewriting

CarPCNetwork

Comment

I usually use car parts themselves.... the last screen that I had pop up out of the dash was done with a motor that was originally used to retract a folding mirror on a benz.... headlight motors can be real heavy duty if you have the space...., probably better for larger projects though

another great way to do this is to have the screen pop up spring loaded & with a dampener( shock absorber from an 1/8 scale gass buggy)... OR use a gas charged piston like they use on some glove box doors...then the motor only has to pull it back down & hold it down, or better yet it would latch when pulled closed/down & the open action would just release the latch.... this can be a pretty easy way to do this....

I wouldn't try to use a cdrom drive, way to weak & flimsy... rc car servos don't hold there position when unpowered
                      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Try this place. Thy have all kinds of cool stuff.

Comment

a very poular way to move things up & down too is to use an aftermarket power window kit.... they usually remote mount the motor, & then use a worm gear cable type... this can allow you to mount the motor further away where theres room, & still have the torque & strength required...

one of the biggest problems I've had with motorized screens is if it isn't solid & firm when up, it'll bounce around & look like crap.... it needs to be firm & supported while up...... you'd be surprised how firm it needs to be to not just move around... nothing worse than a screen that vibrates & jitters around.... it must be solid.
                          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

does anyone have experience with these and will they slide or will they hold thier position?

I think im gonna go this route does anyone know if this will work

(1)1/4" hole Shaft Male
                            (1) 1/4" hole Shaft Female

1/4" in diameter (2) 6" lengths Rod

(4) of these Clamps

Then i would join the 1st 2 parts together with the 2 pieces of rod thru them and secure each side with the clamps

forming somewhat of an H
                            C= clamp
                            |= Rod
                            -= Shaft
                            Code:
                            C        C
                            |        |
                            |        |   
                            |        |
                            |------                                                         |
                            |        |
                            |        |
                            C        C
                            .______
                            | '_ |__\___
                            [(o)|___(o)] XB
                            ._________
                            | I__I I_I|_\__I

GPSGasoline- Rewriting