Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• slot load cd/dvd, different/odd question

Hi all.
    I just scored a slim slot loading cd/dvd laptop drive off ebay for 20 bucks! Only catch is it doesn't write cdr's, comes with a no doa guarantee and refund. I don' really care if it burns, I'm after the read functions.

Anyways, here's my odd question:
    I want to mount the drive in the dash but the laptop based carputer is mounted in the trunk. Can I just remove the drive adapter off the mother board and use wires (ya, I know, ALOT of wires) to extend the connection to the front of the car (in dash mount)? Is this possible or is there a practical limit on how far I can extend the mount from the motherboard?
    Soldiering is not a problem for me, by any stretch of the imagination.

Odd question, I know. Hopefully I'm descibing clearly enough it isn't to confusing what I want to accomplish and someone has some constructive advice.

Cheers

BJ

Sounds like you want to do it the hard way. You can extend the IDE cables. I have seen people have a 30ft. cable, but the easies way to do it by far to to get a IDE to USB converter then just run a USB cable from your PC to the CR-ROM.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

hmmmm.....
      I've seen the usb adapters but wasn't sure about power requirements (i really should use a power hub I guess) and speed issues.
      If I go usb, will I suffer a performance decrease over the ide connection to the motherboard?

Guess I'm still more noob than I want to admit!

Cheers

BJ

Comment

you will not notice any speed difference with a USB 2 converter. USB 1 is quite a bit slower, but still usable. you could buy a converter that has a power input or a full enclosure and just take the bits you need.

Comment

Extend an IDE cable....

IDE is limited to 90cm grand maximum, for proper transfer rate. I once tried a 32x CdDrive on a 1.2 m ide, bam : slow as mollasse, something like PIO-2 or 3.

Use a firewire or USB 2.0 highspeed converter.
          Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Originally posted by DeltaFX
            Extend an IDE cable....
            Yes extra long IDE cables can and have been done by people on this board. It was the only thing you could do before the days of USB to IDE converters. Infact LESLIEx317537 is using a 15ft IDE cable in his setup quite sucessfully.

But, USB converters are now by far the best way to go.

Comment

Working...
            X