Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Celeron P4 2.0

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Celeron P4 2.0

    Celeron P4 2.0 running on the full size board... edit... M-ATX board my bad...
    Should i worry about heat issues if i put that in the car?
    Really want to stick it into the trunk...
    Sugestions?
    Can there be too many fans? don't really care about the fan noise...

  • #2
    bump

    Comment


    • #3
      Try reading the FAQs or just use a heatsink (HS) and fan.
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

      Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

      Read the FAQ!

      Comment


      • #4
        Is it a Celeron or a P4? It can't be both....
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?



        Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by 3D Warrior
          Can there be too many fans?
          yes, each one will draw on your limited supply of power and diminish the power available to your actual computing components.
          Dr. Ron Paul for President 2008

          Hope for America - http://www.ronpaul2008.com

          Who is Ron Paul? - Why do we need Ron Paul?

          __________________
          CarPC Newbs Start Here: All your questions answered, as if by E.S.P.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tj!2k4
            yes, each one will draw on your limited supply of power and diminish the power available to your actual computing components.
            I disagree.
            He could use the decorative ones that Geishas use to hide their faces...
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?



            Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by tj!2k4
              yes, each one will draw on your limited supply of power and diminish the power available to your actual computing components.
              so what's the magic #?

              @DarquePervert yeah it's a Celeron not a p4

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by 3D Warrior
                so what's the magic #?

                @DarquePervert yeah it's a Celeron not a p4
                That depends on what kind of power supply you're using. Is it a Celeron or a Celeron-M?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by mach5
                  That depends on what kind of power supply you're using. Is it a Celeron or a Celeron-M?
                  where do i look to find out if it's M or not... in system properties it just says Celeron(R) cpu 2.00 GHz
                  as for powers supply i don't have one yet... the MB manual says to use a 300watt but i don't see any of them in store here...
                  i got HDD (might have 2) and DVD player in there pci sound card, pci wifi
                  and wanted to run neons in the car using serial port... still up in the air...

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by 3D Warrior
                    where do i look to find out if it's M or not... in system properties it just says Celeron(R) cpu 2.00 GHz
                    as for powers supply i don't have one yet... the MB manual says to use a 300watt but i don't see any of them in store here...
                    i got HDD (might have 2) and DVD player in there pci sound card, pci wifi
                    and wanted to run neons in the car using serial port... still up in the air...
                    Well, you're going to be hard pressed to get any of the auto power supplies to run a mATX motherboard IF combined with standard-size hard drives, optical cards, and PCI components.

                    With that much hardware, you want at least a 200w mATX power supply, and a GOOD power inverter to match (400w+ continuous load or higher).

                    If you use laptop components, like 2.5" hard drives, slimline optical drives, etc, you could be safe with a 150w power supply and a 300w inverter.

                    Download a program called CPU-Z. Just google search for it. It'll tell you everything about your processor you would ever not want to know.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      And if you want to get really geeky (as well as reduce the potential for electrical noise and grounding issues in your setup), you could look into a DC-DC power supply instead of an inverter.
                      Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                      How about the Wiki?



                      Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by DarquePervert
                        And if you want to get really geeky (as well as reduce the potential for electrical noise and grounding issues in your setup), you could look into a DC-DC power supply instead of an inverter.
                        that's what i was thinking... don't want to invert electricity in my car.
                        so what do you guys sugest? 1 run a lapotop hd and dvd, 2 smller board? or am i fine with this one?
                        then if i want to run a bunch of lights like under glow and interior lights along with amp or 2 sub and 4 speakers and a screen what would be my best bet in terms of electrical?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DarquePervert
                          And if you want to get really geeky (as well as reduce the potential for electrical noise and grounding issues in your setup), you could look into a DC-DC power supply instead of an inverter.
                          The only problem I see with DC-DC is that I don't know if they make any that can power a mATX board with PCI cards. That's a lot of silicon. If it's a Celly M after all, and he goes with laptop storage components, then maybe one of those 150w DC-DC's would work, but calculating power consumption is something I tend to do on the conservative side.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            the fans maybe powered directly from the car 12v (13.5 volts) system... they will spin faster and likely fail faster but they are not as sensitive to over/under voltages...
                            TruckinMP3
                            D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

                            Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

                            Read the FAQ!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mach5
                              The only problem I see with DC-DC is that I don't know if they make any that can power a mATX board with PCI cards. That's a lot of silicon. If it's a Celly M after all, and he goes with laptop storage components, then maybe one of those 150w DC-DC's would work, but calculating power consumption is something I tend to do on the conservative side.
                              Just for reference, here's what I'm currently running with the Opus 150. This is just off the top of my head;

                              Full-sized Intel ATX mobo
                              Two 92mm fans
                              P3 866
                              2 x 256MB PC133 modules
                              60GB 7200RPM 3.5" IDE HDD
                              LITE-ON 4x DVD-RW
                              Turtle Beach SantaCruz PCI soundcard
                              Netgear 802.11g PCI wNIC
                              2 USB ports on mobo (full)
                              3-port PCI USB 2.0 Card (full)
                              4-port USB hub (powered from 5v off Opus) (full)
                              Xenarc 7" VGA LCD
                              Slimline slot-load DVD/CD-RW drive.


                              I'm too lazy to list all 9 USB devices but most use all of their 500mA per-port.

                              Going on 4 years with the Opus and no over-loading issues... I bet I just jinx myself!

                              I'm thinking of adding a AGP 3D-GFX card but that's probably pushing the limit. I'll probably ditch the PCI wifi card if I do that (still using a Orinoco USB).
                              My Install Thread
                              digitaljetta.com

                              MKIV VW Jetta
                              How do I get sound to my car?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X