Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thoughts on USFF optiplex gx620 for carputer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thoughts on USFF optiplex gx620 for carputer?

I know it takes a lot of the DIY out of it, the proprietary PS thing sucks, and its not as small as mini-itx.
    but the dell outlet has these things for insanely cheap right now, and I'm on a budget.
    just to give you an idea, this is what I have in my cart right now:
    low-end, $269: http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...temId=FCMECAWR
    higher-end, $379:
    http://outlet.us.dell.com/ARBOnlineS...temId=FXA5T3WR
    Keep in mind these are optiplex's, so they include a 3yr onsite warranty. I would move them to your office before placing the service call tho.
    I think they have slimline optical drives, and 3.5" hard drives(?). dunno anything about the p/s, but its dell, so I imagine its proprietary. prolly external, like the sx270.
    Just interested in any feedback you guys have.

I'd look on the Dell support forums and see what problems they've run into there. I know i've seen a lot of posts about the USFF.

Comment

I've got two USFF Optiplex computers. One is a GX-620 and the other a SX-280. I think they're awsome little computers.

The supply is external and has a connector with five or six pins. I can't imagine why there's so many but I've never investigated why.

Comment

Originally posted by Jahntassa
        I'd look on the Dell support forums and see what problems they've run into there. I know i've seen a lot of posts about the USFF.
        Thanks, I'll check it out.
        Originally posted by NiteMax Mark
        I've got two USFF Optiplex computers. One is a GX-620 and the other a SX-280. I think they're awsome little computers.
        Do you use them in-car? if so, do you just use an inverter?

Comment

Originally posted by fenton
          Thanks, I'll check it out.
          Do you use them in-car? if so, do you just use an inverter?
          I use them as desktop computers. I'm not sure how they'd perform in-car with the heat and vibration. I bought them at the Dell Outlet and the best part is that they seem to come with a three-Year warranty as standard.

The Dell Outlet prices right now include $99 for shipping and handling on Optiplex systems under $500.

There's a way to avoid this outrageous charge!

Sign up for a FedEx or UPS account, let them bill your charges to a credit card. Go to Dell through the Small Business area and do your Outlet Store shopping there. When you go to checkout, choose the option that lets you bill a third party. Insert your UPS or FedEx account number and Dell won't add any shipping charge. Through your UPS or FedEx account, you'll be billed only for the actual cost of shipping which is usually only $20 or $25.

Comment

Working...
          X