No announcement yet.

Headunit with Optical input?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headunit with Optical input?

Does anyone know if there are any head units with Optical/TOSLINK inputs on the market? I checked around, and it seems that without a dolby reciever, I'm screwed, but I wanted to run it by you guys anyways.

Considering that most uses for TOS/Link happen to involve a Dolby AC-3 signal, I don't forsee any makers giving you that option.

Truthfully, the only place I've seen any kind of amplifier with digital-in without surround sound is in professional sound recording gear.

Are you doing this to try to avoid Alternator/ground loop noise? If that's the case, run your TOS/Link near your head unit and go out to somewhere like Guitar Center and buy a mini-D/AC to go from TOS/Link to Analog. Keep in mind that you'll only be able to decode PCM optical-digital.

thanks CrazyLittle. I've got my eyes on a USB to Analog sound device, it also included the TOSLINK connection, but it seems that is not meant to be so I will just use the shortest length of analog cable I can to a normal aux input.

Thanks for the input!

If you have the $$$$$$$$$ ALPINE has a trunk mounted / headunit controled EQ/x-over/delay/sound processor that has TOSLINK and analog inputs, I think it's the PRA-900
        If you come out talking sh1t don't try to turn around and wipe you azz.

I think Eclipse has one too...It's big $$$ like the Alpine (sorry, don't remember the name or model number off the top of my head)

1999 Chevy Silverado LS
          Eclipse CD5441
          Factory Speakers
          MTX Road Thunder 2CH (280W bridged)
          8" Bazooka Tube
          Compaq iPAQ 3835

The Sony CDX-C910 and C90 both have toslink inputs. Also, I run a Sony XES-P1 and it has multiple toslink inputs/outputs.

Your best/cheapest bet though is to run a Sony HU with DSP support and pickup a Sony XDP-210EQ off of ebay. They go for as little as $75 and give you a heck of an EQ as well as Toslink inputs.

I just sold my Xitel DG2 on ebay which is the USB->toslink soundcard. I'm running the Sony XA-300 now that is USB->unilink connector and it works pretty well.

2001 Ranger XLT Off Road
            Sony CDX-C910, Sony CDX-U303
            Sony XA-300 USB->unilink adapter
            In dash 5.8" LCD
            Infinity Beta 3 way component set
            4 - OZ Audio 250L 10" subs
            2 Sony XES-M1's, Sony XES-M3
            Esoteric Audio wiring
            Toshiba 7020CT laptop with DVD docking station.

Actually I have a 210EQ and the optical input wont work by its self, I think it gets a signal from the HU or Changer telling the 210EQ there is a source with optical output. I am using the Alpine 3900 external DAC (it was part of the old digital MAX stuff).

I know this post is dead but I would like to add a couple of automotive head units with optical output and input for people doing quick Google searches.

JVC AVX-720 toslink out PCM stereo only
                JVC AVX-820 toslink out PCM stereo only
                Eclipse JDM CDT versions example cdt-400 have a digital coaxial input and output
                I believe the Rockford 8240 and 8250 denon based units had digital coaxial inputs along with the Denon DCT models example Z1? I would have to double check that

If you donít care about the head unit and just need a volume control then the Audison Bit One also has digital input and has countless tuning options. The DRC controller has a volume knob with 4 presets for tunes and basic control including sub volume.