Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pentium 4 M - General Intel Socket Confusion Questions

Hello All,

This is my first post on these forums, and they're great, but I'll spare the long introduction. I've recently had my Toshiba 5200 laptop's motherboard die, and already "needing" a car PC, the choice was simple to use the components I could from it.

However, I've ran into some problems. I've been looking for a Mini-ITX motherboard that supports the Intel P4-M processors, but am never sure which ones actually support this model since Intel took it upon itself to release multiple processors using the same Socket 478 or 479 layouts. If anyone could provide me with some help, I'm not exactly sure if there are motherboards out there that are compatible with what I've got.

Here is the link to my processor on Intel's website; http://www.intel.com/cd/channel/rese...e_p4/index.htm

Bascally I'm just not sure if I should be looking for a motherboard with a socket 479 (I've read that some 478-pin processors work fine in the socket 479 motherboards), something specifically for socket 478 and try to somehow sure that it's made for the P4-M and not the Socket 478 P4, or Socket 478 Pentium M.

I know this might be confusing, but any clarification or help would be appreciated.

There are a few models available in teh store here: http://www.mp3car.com/store/index.php?cPath=30_55

There was another discussion about the same thing. The proper designation of the CPU is Pentium M, although many vendors call it a P4M or whatever. It breeds confusion.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

I understand wanting to recycle your parts that you have, but I don't know how practical what your trying to do is.... I think the p4m is only going to be compatable with a laptop motherboard, & also keep in mind that the p4m,s are pretty worthless... you can get one on ebay for like 20-30 bucks... they do still run hot & inefficient, which is why your laptop fried uitself in the first place....

A p4m is NOT a pentium m, 2 different animals...

a good mobile processor will be either the pentium m or the athalon xp-m...
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
        A p4m is NOT a pentium m, 2 different animals...
        That's kinda what I meant to say.
        Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
        How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

DarquePervert > So if I understand correctly, my P4-M processor is still considered a P-M and may be referred to as such by some motherboard manufacturers? Although this seems to be sort of contradicted by what turbocad6 wrote, will some of the motherboards in the store work with this processor then, or would I have to get an actual P-M?

turbocad6 > I understand that it might not be the best for heat or efficiency, and I may eventually just end up having to purchase a P-M processor, but at the current time I'm trying to weigh my options for this processor itself. Having just undergone a fairly large move, just having gotten a new job and trying to pay off some debt, my budget is currently quite limited. I've found a few boards so far that will accept everything else from my laptop (RAM type and speed, can take my Mini-PCI card, etc.)

So if there are any sure-fire ways to tell whether a motherboard will be compatible with the 478-pin P4-M (P-M?) processor before purchasing, that would be good to know as well.

Comment

the only motherboards I know of are laptop motherboards, I have never seen a desktop form use a p4m..... I don't think there is any reason for this to even be made.... I don't think it's going to happen unless you find some obscure adaptor somewhere.... which I don't think exists...

Comment

http://www.commell-sys.com/Product/SBC/LV-670M.HTM

What about this Motherboard? It quotes the P4-M, plus the exact specifications of the processor (512K Cache, etc).

Comment

never seen that, it looks cool.... a p4m is a better choice than a regular p4, that's for sure...

how much is it? if it's real expensive you may still want to consider your options, as a pentium m with a 2mb cache will blow that p4m away, & still use less power... if the boards not to expensive then go for it

Comment

As its name says, a P4M is first a P4 then Mobile, see it as a hand picked P4 for its low power comsumption.

Pentium M is a different beast.
                  Now Galileo is real. Muhahahahaha :p

Comment

Working...
                  X