Heat Issue: Harddrive or CPU?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heat Issue: Harddrive or CPU?

Everyday now, during the hottest times, my computer will not boot. It will POST but will freeze after recognizing the HDD or will restart. Once my car cools down, it works fine.

So I'm wondering if its my HDD or CPU that's causing this problem? During post, my CPU temps are around 66C (151F), and when I touch my hard drive, it's extremely hot (almost too hott to even hold).

I would assume it is the CPU. Hard drives do not have thermal shutdowns like a CPU might, so it is doubtful it is causing the system to shut off. It is also probably not the HD since it works again when it is cool. If the hard drive was too hot, it would fail, not shut down and work when cool.

What kind of CPU is it and how is it cooled? When it does work, what does the CPU temp read? Hard drives get hot during use anyways, sometimes too hot to hold almost, but they still function.

My money is on CPU being too hot...
    ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Carputer Progress [||------------------] 10%

Comment

I have a Athlon Mobile 2600+ running at like 1.7ghz. I'm using an artic cooling CPU fan, looks this same as this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/cpu-arc-15.html but it's the older version (I believe it has the same specs). Maybe I should invest in a better fan, or down clock my CPU a little bit...

Comment

Maybe I should invest in a better fan, or down clock my CPU a little bit...
        It's overclocked? Yeah, set it normal levels for troubleshooting purposes at least. Is your CPU fan spinning normally? What about the temps of the CPU when it does work vs. when it does not?
        ~Puff

View my worklog... I dare you... http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77267

Comment

I have a Mobile AthlonXP 2400+ running at stock speed and overvolted slightly (since I can't get the voltage any lower). It's crammed into a cut down Shuttle case and it overheats if it's running on a 90+ day with no A/C going in the truck.
          Everyone at the Austin meet a couple weeks ago saw MBM reporting CPU temps between 140-150. When it approached 150, I started seeing performance issues, but it never shut down.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

There is many parts that can be overheated with heat produced by CPU - e.g. MB chipset or RAM , even if CPU will stand this heat ....and causes PC not to boot ( or freeze). First thing have to be vent PC case and allow fresh air run through it . After it if it wont help check CPU fan ... anyway : check thermal paste under CPU cooler.
            "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them."
            AE

Comment

Yea I think 150F is a bit hot for an AMD, and if it was an intel it would probably be dead by now. If you have a better fan than the OEM one then its probably just a ventilation issue. If it's crammed up in a small case that gets no airflow, the fan isn't going to help any but blow the hot air all around. Maybe you need to mount a case fan in the case nearest the CPU

Comment

Originally posted by ascendotuum
                Yea I think 150F is a bit hot for an AMD, and if it was an intel it would probably be dead by now.
                I think you have that turned around. Intel's can stand much higher heat than AMD's, because they run hotter to begin with, and have thermal throttling.

But yeah 66c is too hot for that AMD. You really want to keep it under 55c. That HSF isnt too bad, you just need more airflow through the case.
                {Xenarc 700TSV} {Celeron M 1.3 ghz} {ASUS mATX mobo w/CT479} {MX440 128mb AGP} {1x512mb RAM} {3.5" Seagate 40gb (rated at 350 G's)} {M1-ATX}

MY INSTALLATION LOG

Comment

It was my personal experience working with the Athlon XP's and Pentium 4's that although Intel's run cooler from the factory than most AMD's, the AMD's were able to withstand longer running at temperatures above about 130F. But this was with the technology from a couple of years ago, things might be different now.

Comment

Originally posted by ascendotuum
                    Yea I think 150F is a bit hot for an AMD, and if it was an intel it would probably be dead by now. If you have a better fan than the OEM one then its probably just a ventilation issue. If it's crammed up in a small case that gets no airflow, the fan isn't going to help any but blow the hot air all around. Maybe you need to mount a case fan in the case nearest the CPU
                    You haven't looked at my worklog, obviously.
                    Not stock cooling, but a low-profile cooler. The CPU is a mobile version, so it has a more flexible temperature range.
                    150f is still too hot, admittedly. I'm working on improving the airflow in my tiny case.

The problem was solved at the Austin meet by starting the truck, turning on the A/C and closing the doors.
                    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Originally posted by Puffanug
                      It's overclocked? Yeah, set it normal levels for troubleshooting purposes at least. Is your CPU fan spinning normally? What about the temps of the CPU when it does work vs. when it does not?
                      I never said it's overclocked? These are 2ghz CPU's which I already have it running slower at 1.7ghz, but maybe I should down clock it even more is what I meant. Yes, the fan is working properly. The CPU will work fine around 55C but anything hotter than that and the processor becomes unstable.

Okay and to address those who are saying it's an airflow issue:
                      1) My case is like the optimum location. Whenever I roll my windows down air goes directly over the computer, plus the computer is wide out in the open. No case at all. (see picture below)

2) My computer is hot to start off with, so if you're talking about ventilation from outside the car; then, I'm not sure that's going to help with the first seconds of start up, which is when it's crashing/freezing.

Comment

Well i'm sure it's not a ventilation issue haha that setup appears to have ample room for airflow. I noticed you had your hard drive mounted upside-down. I know they're designed to radiate heat from out of the top of the drive, so that could be an issue there. I still don't see how the CPU could be running at 150F unless its like 100 degrees inside your truck when you're running it. Did you apply thermal grease to the processer when you mounted the fan? Oh, and if the processor has been used before, you have to clean the old grease junk off of it before you put new stuff on...

Comment

If none of that fixes it, I would be willing to say that there could be a problem with your hard drive. You can go to the manufacturers website and find they're hard drive testing utility, they pretty much all have one. Judging by the looks of that HDD I would bet its probably a western digital. You can run that test to determine if there is a problem with your drive or not.

Comment

that box is made of wood???

i'll bet the outside doesn't even get warm
                            2001 Passat 130TDi Sport - Via Epia 15000, 1gb, 100gb, 220w psu, 7" lilliput motorized touch (chopped and in dash as a fixed), bluetooth, bu-303 gps, 7 port usb hub, tiny keyboard, netgear 54mb wifi, optima yellow top, ryder rt1170x, freecom dvb

Comment

Could direct sunlight through the window onto the open computer parts be an issue at all? Doesn't seem like it would, it's just a thought.

How is the motherboard attached to the case? You are using standoffs, right? Not related to your freezing issue, just curious. it is hard to tell in the pic.
                              ~Puff

Comment

Working...
                              X