Slot load HU in vertical position?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slot load HU in vertical position?

I need to relocate my head unit. I was considering inside the 'cubby hole' behind my gear stick. I read the manual for my head unit and it says i shouldnt have the HU at an angle >30 degrees to the horizontal or the CD wont play. I've run the CD at 90 degrees with no problems BUT will i have problems in the long run? The head unit is out of warranty but I still dont want it to fall apart due to odd bearing loads etc.

J

if it don't skip it's probably ok....
    MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

OK, groovy Its having to move due to my 12" portrait LCD You inspired me when i couldnt find anywhere to put it in landscape orientation lol.

Comment

portrait is cool... it's almost like having dual screens...

Comment

You MIGHT have problems, the unit is designed to take horizontal shocks, not vertical ones, so it's possible you may have load/unload problems as well as read problems sooner or later.

Not saying it's guaranteed, but it's definitely possible.

Comment

Defenitely don't mount your HU vertically. A friend of mine had his tucked into his dash assembly while he was getting a new dashboard made for his mustang. His head unit failed after 2 weeks of having it tucked into an upward position. Now he wishes he had just left it disconnected. Trust me it MIGHT NOT take a dump on you, but I wouldn't take the chance.
            Check out the updates. Project 2003 Dakota worklog: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=85490

IS JACK BAUER GONNA HAVE TO SMACK A *****?

Comment

I would expect it to skip if it had issues before it started failing...

I had one in a center console almost 90% straight up & it lasted a few years... when I pulled it out it still was working fine...

Comment

Hmmm looks like my project is on hold anyway as I cant get my screen to rotate The trident graphics chipset cant handle it and i dont have another spare laptop to use

Comment

search for "portrait display software" there are third party apps that will give you this... one I think i remember is pivot something...

Comment

I spotted irotate and a few others but they all require the graphics driver to be compatible. I'm writing this on a linux box rotated 90 CCW as it makes my coding easier if i can see the whole page but again, it requires a compatible graphics card and i cant chose that on a laptop install

Comment

I'm so used to portrait mode that I even run my desktop that way now

Comment

http://www.jbuckle.homeip.net/port.jpg

Now just got to test (and buy) the pivot software on/for my carputer.

Comment

Working...
                        X