No announcement yet.

Pictures of my setup - Finally Here!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pictures of my setup - Finally Here!!!

Finally got eveything installed!

Still working out the powering up bugs, but other than that, it works great...I have about 1300 mp3's so far (with a gig still to fill

Here's a link to my yahoo! photo site...

Just select the Carputer folder...

Comments? Suggestions?

-Mike

OOpps! I forgot to take an actual picture of my car! It's a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherrokee...

Later!
    "As God as my witness...I thought turkey's could fly"

Hey, very nice setup! The front looks real clean. You have any plans for an aftermarket head unit so you don't have to use a cassette adapter? I've noticed a significant blow to sound quality through those things...

Comment

Nice setup!

What software are you using on there to play mp3s?

Also, It looks like you have the same computer that I am currently setting up to use, Dell Optiplex Gs 200 mhz mmx. What video card did you go with? Also, How did you access the bios? I tred everything from disconnecting the HD to pressing DELETE...

Grand AMplifier Project 1.0:
      http://drive.to/cliffsgrandamgt/
      http://www.astallaslions.com/carmp3/
      --------------------------------
      -Eden 800 mini-itx motherboard
      -5.6 NTSC TFT-LCD
      -80 gig hard drive
      -128 MB RAM
      -MPBS1 DC-DC PSU
      -PB Remote /w Girder
      -Media Engine & Windows XP
      -Playstation II also added
      -Steering Wheel Buttons modified for Control.

Comment

You have any plans for an aftermarket head unit so you don't have to use a cassette adapter?
        Actually, I started with an FM mod, but it seriously blew - very muddy sound...after buying a cheapo Cass Adapter - the sound blew me away...I get some pops every now and then but oh well...

I don't want to get an aftermarket radio because I have steering wheel controls for just about every function, and I didn't want to loose that...

What software are you using on there to play mp3s?
        I am using winamp, but I developed my own interface in VB...

What video card did you go with?
        It's a simple ATI Rage II+ with TV out, I also have 128 MB of RAM

How did you access the bios?
        When it starts, it gives me a "Hit DELETE to enter setup"...should be all you need - but there isn't much IN the BIOS when you get there...

Comment

Nice, REal nice.

Where'd you find that keyboard at?

Comment

ebay:

Here is a link

Comment

I dig. The only thing I would suggest is ditch the tape adapter. I know FM modulators suck. Tape adapter sound is actually not bad at all (I think a lot of people have yet to hear what it sounds like on a good tape player) but it looks kinda sloppy.

You can retain your factory steering wheel button fuctions. Destin did it in his Pathintosh...well he didn't do it, he had some shop do it Just lettin' ya know anything is possible. The parts he used were'nt very expensive, just some basic electronic components (relays, transistors & resistors )

Other than that and composite LCD (but we won't get intot that again) I really like.

Here's a link to Destin's site incase you didn't know:

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Destin/home.html
              My Install Thread
              digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
              How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

You can actually get the tape adapter to look pretty clean with a little help. I popped the stereo out of my dash and just fed the cord to the tape adapter into the dash, so only about .5 inches of the cord can be seen. please excuse the quality of the pic, its the best that I have on hand, i need to go out and take some more tomarrow without the flash (damn glare!). heh, also excuse the other wires going everywhere, ive got the dash apart running wires, which is why the touchpad is where it is.

-Nick

Comment

Originally posted by MP3DUB
                  You can actually get the tape adapter to look pretty clean with a little help. I popped the stereo out of my dash and just fed the cord to the tape adapter into the dash, so only about .5 inches of the cord can be seen. please excuse the quality of the pic, its the best that I have on hand, i need to go out and take some more tomarrow without the flash (damn glare!). heh, also excuse the other wires going everywhere, ive got the dash apart running wires, which is why the touchpad is where it is.
                  No offense, I know this may sound a bit harsh, but isn't that kind of a half-*** solution? I know my setup isn't near the greatest (due to allowance of $$ - and it's also nowhere near finished) but I'm a strong believer in the idea that if you're going to do a project such as this, do it right. Make it look good. That doesn't say much for me (look at my trunk), but like I said I'm not finished.

An idea I'm going to throw out there is to hardwire the contacts of the tape adapter to the actual players head.

OR

Try my first suggestion (judging by your vehicle looks like money's not too big of an issue) Go out, buy a new HU with aux-in and if you still want your factory buttons to work, make 'em work.

Once again, please don't be offended, I totally dig and have respect for everyone individual setup, but those are just my personal standards.
                  My Install Thread
                  digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Heh, if i had a 2002 VW passat with leather, money might not be an issue , but its a 93. And really, i think short of doing anything drastic, what I've done is the best thing short of getting a new head unit. And while cost certainly isnt prohibitive for a new head unit, to tell the truth I haven't found one I've liked the look of recently. I dont know if you've spent any time in older vw's, but they're really not flashy (no gloss black plastics, no multicolored lcds, no chrome bling bling), which I greatly enjoy, and I haven't found anything that will go seamlessly into the car that either has the aux inputs or doesnt cost an arm, leg, and kidney. And the other strewn wires usually cannot be seen, its just that spring in Chicago has consititued mostly of snow, and I need it to be 60+ out so I can use some vinyl color on the touchpad and ir receiver before I put the bottom of the dash back together.
                    -Nick

Comment

hey, it's your car, your setup...Do what you want. I ain't knockin' it bro. I just rather have mine look as clean and sleek as possible. That includes any 1/4" of wire haning out from behind my dash. If my only option (with limited funds) is to dremel out half my dash and build a custom bezel, that's what I'd do. Only putting in my .02
                      My Install Thread
                      digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta

Comment

Guys - sorry, I really like my setup - - - for now...

The cass adapter, really to me is not an issue - - - for now...

I'm sure I will want to fix it later on down the road - BUT, my powering up bugs have to be fixed first...

Anyways, I'm with MP3DUB, aftermarket head units just don't LOOK like the rest of the car...too flashy, and if you ask me...cheap looking...

Later!

-Mike

Comment

what powerup problems are you having, and how are you planning on dealing with them. This seems to be an area where only expirence and trial/error can be the solution...

Comment

For most brand name computers, delete doesn't working to get into the bios. Alot of them use either F1 or F2, but in situations where that doesn't work, keep pressing on the keyboard to generate an error. When the computer sees the error it'll usually say something like "Keyboard 101 error press XXX to enter setup"

Comment

LCD bracket?

Great setup! I too am driving a 2000 Grand Cherokee and was wondering where'd you get that lcd bracket from? Looks very similar in design to your cell phone cradle bracket (possibly a Panavise in dash bracket). I'm currently using a 6" Panavise camera bracket that's mounted to the passenger side of the center console area just to the right of the gear shift. I noticed your cleaner installation and was curious if you purchased that or fabricated it yourself? Also, how'd you run the lcd cable?

Thanks,
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X