Bad MB and or CPU??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad MB and or CPU??

OK carputer working fine until a week ago, first computer would attempt to boot once at starting windows screen computer would automatically reboot over and over again. Running windows 2000, I figured windows had been corupted somehow so I proceeded to reinstall, however could not get windows to boot from cd drive so I could reinstall. Removed hard drive from carputer and hooked up to another pc inside the house. Reloaded windows and boots fine on pc in the house. Put hard drive back in car and now still wont boot. It is no longer in a boot loop but instead it freezes at the windows starting screen.
    Any thoughts could this be due to board or cpu failure????

Thanks in advance for any help

Any thoughts on this?????

Comment

is the PC in the house the same specs as the one in the car?
      The install of windows can be picky about the drivers for the MB during install it sets teh drivers for things like the PCI bus and IDE controller.

Take the whole set up into the house and trouble shoot by changing one (and only one) thing at a time. Here is a list of suggested items to change:

PS
      Vid card
      RAM
      HD
      Monitor
      CPU

Use known good hardware to swap out current parts. Try to get the PC to post first then worry about an OS.
      TruckinMP3
      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

Read the FAQ!

Comment

Originally posted by TruckinMP3
        is the PC in the house the same specs as the one in the car?
        The install of windows can be picky about the drivers for the MB during install it sets teh drivers for things like the PCI bus and IDE controller.

Take the whole set up into the house and trouble shoot by changing one (and only one) thing at a time. Here is a list of suggested items to change:

PS
        Vid card
        RAM
        HD
        Monitor
        CPU

Use known good hardware to swap out current parts. Try to get the PC to post first then worry about an OS.

PS - GOOD
        Vid Card -GOOD
        RAM - GOOD
        HD - GOOD
        Monitor - GOOD
        CPU not checked yet no spare available will have to get another for testing
        any chance this could also be a bad MB, pc will post can even get into bios changed bios to boot from cd rom only all other boot devices disabled but during boot system will not boot from cdrom drive will post message to boot from cdrom but does not do anything then it attempts to boot from HD, if I remove HD system hangs at boot from cdrom prompt.
        could it only be cpu or is the MB also a possible candidate?

Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
        X