Reverse camera options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse camera options

It seems that there isn't a good thread with viable options to reverse cameras.

I know that there's the one here in the store: http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=166

I'm just wondering what are some cameras that are CCD image quality, water proof, wide angle (100*+), and small enough to be useable.

I've found a few threads where people link to a bunch of ebay auctions but that doesn't do me much good 90 days+ after the auctions.

What do you use that works?
    Jan Bennett
    FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16881109004

Found this one, but the LUX is 0....I'm under the impression that 1 is desired. Is this correct?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16881107017

http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_PRccd-3.htm

http://www.audiowarehouse.peachhost.com/ct_PRvtk100.htm
    Jan Bennett

Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

Comment

the lower the better lux wise... a good low lux rating will be like .02 lux.... 1 lux you'll see nothing at night....

this rating should be BEFORE any infrared assist... many manufactures pair a crappy sensor with infrared to give the illusion of low lux.... but the infrared will only be affective for a few feet...

1/3" sony chip is the way to go... 1/4" sensor is crap....

look for high resolution.... 380 is a bare minimum... 420 is good... 480 is great...

make sure it specifically says mirror image or that it has that ability... I've found that the really high end cameras don't do mirror image... that's the challenge.. finding a good camera that does mirror imaging....
      MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
        the lower the better lux wise... a good low lux rating will be like .02 lux.... 1 lux you'll see nothing at night....
        very well then!

I've seen a few with .01 lux, i'll go see if I can find them again.
        Jan Bennett

Comment

I wouldn't buy any camera that didn't give full specs.... same as buying a monitor.... specs are important to compare.... if they don't give specs then i'd avoid it...

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
            I wouldn't buy any camera that didn't give full specs.... same as buying a monitor.... specs are important to compare.... if they don't give specs then i'd avoid it...

I agree, however, it seems that I'm having a hard time finding any page that lists full specs...lol

(PS: I cleaned up my posts, consolidated them)
            Jan Bennett

Comment

I went crazy trying to find a good reverse image camera a year ago when I did mine.... after much research I came to the conclusion that THERE WERE NONE.... I had to get a good high end camera that doesn't do the mirror flip, then I got an alpine monitor that does the mirror image....

the result was amasing.... but a bit extreme too..... I have since seen better & better cameras that do flip, but i can't recall seeing anything really awsome yet.... guess it depends how much your willing to accept..if it's just aux then I guess it don't have to be the best...

Comment

eh - I'll just keep an eye out.

It's not something I want to do right now. The OEM GPS and more powerful computer over ride it right now...
                Jan Bennett

Comment

wouldn't you be able to mirror the image with software? That way you could get a good camera and still have a mirrored image
                  Debt as of 1/1/05: $34,354.48
                  Debt as of July 4, 2007: $0.00 explanation
                  I'M DEBT FREE!!
                  I'm now a reasonably successful gunblogger.

Comment

Originally posted by wizardPC
                    wouldn't you be able to mirror the image with software? That way you could get a good camera and still have a mirrored image
                    Yeah, but for a lot of people that means adding some sort of video capture device on the PC. I personally like the fact that my Xenarc has multiple video inputs and automatic switching. Just relay a switch to the reverse light and not have to worry about any SW or driver issues.
                    My Install Thread
                    digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                    How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

yeah, to me rearview shouldn't depend on the pc at all, unless it's just for the novelty of it.... in that case how good the camera is may not be as much of a concern either

red, I'm redoing my overhead screen soon & won't keep the alpine that does the mirror image real soon.... if you come across a good camera let me know, either that or if I'll try to find one & let you know what I come up with...I've even considered playing with an actual mirror...but glass reflections can be an issue.... I gotta find a good one soon....or find out how to alter a regular image camera maybe...

Comment

yeah - the rear view camera thing in my car is more of a novelty at this point in time.

In the future we've tossed around the idea of a Dodge sprinter van for our trials rig and to transport our motorcycles instead of a truck and trailer...in that instance, it would be a necessity for sure!
                        Jan Bennett

Comment

as a novelty any decent 1/3" chip camera will be o.k.... same rules apply as far as quality, but at least a 1/3" chip... even a 1.0-0.5 lux won't be that bad... 380 lines won't be that bad.... mine is my only rear view period..... & I kinda wanted the best... mine does like 520 at 0.002 lux without the infrared even on.... it was a high end security camera & switches to b&w in low light for ultra sensitivity....

a high end camera is only really necissary if you depend on it....

Comment

yeah yeah - but we all know I can't stand to waste the money on something if it's not worth a damn...lol

I'd rather spend the money on a good camera.

For now, it's close to the last thing on my plate. After getting this sprint broad band access card, I'm now looking at spending my money to upgrade the PC to be capable of handling more stuff...
                            Jan Bennett

Comment

ha... welcome to "always on"

Comment

Working...
                              X