VIA EPIA M10000 Motherboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VIA EPIA M10000 Motherboard

So the motherboard is the most important part of the setup, so you really want to be sure when choosing one. I'm really thinking about buying the VIA EPIA M10000 from mp3car.com.
    Can you guys tell me any reasons I shouldn't get this?
    Or tell me other reasons why I should pay more for some better model?

What I want to use it for is:
    Watching DVDs
    Playing MP3s
    Playing radio
    GPS guidance software
    Wireless networking
    MAYBE a nightvision camera

Would the board not be able to handle any of this? If you think I should buy a better board, can you tell me why? Thanks for any and all advice!!!

Yes, it will handle all of that. You should buy a more powerful board just for the geek cred.

Here's a jumping off point for you (assuming you haven't seen it): http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=78795
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

the faster the board the smoother it will run. you should be ok with the M10000. Im actually using the MII12000. and everything runs fine for the most part. I went with the MII12k because it had a pcmcia and i went with an audigy 2 zs notebook for sound.. for 50 bucks more the MII12k is more bang for the buck. and allows more expandibility. Thats just my .02 the M10000 is a nice board at any rate.
      MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
      M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
      7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
      Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
      Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

Go for something a little more powerful/newer. I find that the video on my epiaM10k will lag when I try to run anything but the simplest of visualizations. On the otherhand if you pair the board with a PCI video card you should be ok. hibernation will be slow too. I'll be upgrading to a pentium M system sometime over the next year. Back when I put my system together a pentiumM was not really an option.
        Carputer installed!!!
        Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

ahh theres one more factor i didnt mention. SIZE. i went with the board i chose because i needed to put the pc in a small space. one of the main reasons i went ITX was because of the size.
          MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
          M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
          7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
          Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
          Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

cool, i'll look into the 12000

Originally posted by momanz
            Go for something a little more powerful/newer. I find that the video on my epiaM10k will lag when I try to run anything but the simplest of visualizations. On the otherhand if you pair the board with a PCI video card you should be ok. hibernation will be slow too. I'll be upgrading to a pentium M system sometime over the next year. Back when I put my system together a pentiumM was not really an option.
            whats this about hibernation? a major concern would be booting up quickly, would one MB be much better than another in this sense? would the M10000 boot up slowly? Id be getting an M2 ATX power supply.

Comment

My m10000 cold boots to RR playing music in just under 30 seconds. Standby, in about 1 second. Should be no problem.
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
                My m10000 cold boots to RR playing music in just under 30 seconds. Standby, in about 1 second. Should be no problem.
                good lord, 30 seconds!?!?!

there has got to be some kind of way to speed that up. do you know of any way of making it under 10 seconds?

Comment

Well 30 for everything. The actual boot process is like 5-10 seconds shorter because with my car, the acc line the M2 is on only turns on after the engine is started and waits a couple seconds, and then the M2 has a delay before turn on. And really when I push the button to start my car, by the time I get to it, I hear the music playing. Or if I do the 'ol fashion start, then by the time I am out of my driveway, MUSIC!

And this is NOT optimized in any way. It is a full XP install with all drivers, all options, all languages, norton running, a couple DVD copyright decrypters, and Bittorrent, all loading before RR.

Now. If I nlited the thing or made RR the shell then it would play music right after I push the start button, but why? My old HU took about 3 seconds for the "WELCOME" to scroll away, and then another 1 or 2 seconds to list the folders on the MP3 CD, and a couple more to say "CHKING" and then play. So its about equal time if you were to strip everything down. But I like having everything right there, and I pay for it in time.
                  15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more

Comment

My M10k takes an age at the moment but this is before doing any optimizations. im running XP lite beast edition and it takes about 45 seconds before i here music.
                    but im sure that will change when i start doing something about it.

Ken
                    ------
                    Prepping for Trax in september
                    Re-Building the whole CarPC to upgrade all the software
                    Whole new boot build and moulding my screen into the dash...Again

Comment

Wow. That is reallly really slow compared to mine. I have the full version of XP and so much more, and it takes less time?!?! Crazy. I must be lucky. Are you using a laptop drive?

Comment

awesome, thanks for the info!
                        i'm gunna buy my M10000 this week.
                        and the M2 power supply,
                        and the 512 memory.

I already have 7" liliput and 80gb laptop HD
                        thats all I need right? i dont need some strange cables or anything?

Comment

Well depending where you are putting the thing, you might need a VGA or USB extension cable.

Comment

Originally posted by 2k1Toaster
                            Well 30 for everything. The actual boot process is like 5-10 seconds shorter because with my car, the acc line the M2 is on only turns on after the engine is started and waits a couple seconds, and then the M2 has a delay before turn on. And really when I push the button to start my car, by the time I get to it, I hear the music playing. Or if I do the 'ol fashion start, then by the time I am out of my driveway, MUSIC!

And this is NOT optimized in any way. It is a full XP install with all drivers, all options, all languages, norton running, a couple DVD copyright decrypters, and Bittorrent, all loading before RR.
                            If i remember correctly, when I was running an epia 800 I was dealing with boot times of 2-3 minutes, and that's after doing a bunch of messing around with optimizations, which was a big part of why I ditched it for something faster. Granted, the M12k is a lot faster than the 800, but still, your boot times are only a tiny fraction of what i was getting. Even my athlon XP-M 2200+ system takes close to a minute for a cold boot, and it sounds like i'm running less software. I pretty much assumed that no car-suitable system would ever have a fast enough cold boot time to be reasonable (without seriously gimping it by removing tons of stuff with nlite, etc), so no matter what I'd need to use standby/hibernate. But if my boot times were 20-30 seconds, then I would probably be happy with it and not even bother with standby/hibernate. Hell, even the various desktop systems that I and people I know have (which are many times more powerful than any epia) don't boot that fast. Whatever you managed to do to it, good job, it seems very impressive to me, now hopefully you can figure out the secret so you can share it
                            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                            Originally posted by Viscouse
                            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                            eegeek.net

Comment

Well I guess I am special! I am using a full 3.5" drive, and Windows XP "Borg Edition" -- Basically SP2 with a bunch of extra stuff. I disabled boot to LAN, told it to try HD0 first and disabled the rest. Disabled the USB boot. Stuff like that. I know that boot to LAN if it checks that can take about 15-20 seconds right there. So software wise, bloated but the BIOS is just a quick flash, and then the XP boot screen.

My install is magical! yay. I was wondering about why people complain of boot times, but I never really experienced it!

Comment

Working...
                              X