Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the best complete(ready to install) car computer on the market right now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What is the best complete(ready to install) car computer on the market right now?

    Title says it all. I did a bit of searching but I figured posing a thread is my best bet to find out about leading edge hardware. FYI this will hook to a XENARC 7"TSV flush mounted in my dash..

    I am looking for a computer that can handle it all. I am mainly concerned with having a top end sound card. My complete stereo is based on sound quality and I want the best possible output to my pre amp..fiber optic?. I also want a fast machine. Plenty of hard drive space (100+gigs). Good video card too for visualizations.

    Here is what I want the computer for.

    I want to have a nice main program “front end”? with a BMW skin

    I would like links to the following from the front end..

    -GPS program- Tracking, Detailed maps, Voice, etc.

    -Phone Control- Blue tooth connection to my Motorola SLVR, Dial from computer, picture id, etc.

    -PC XM radio- Fast and clean interface for XM radio

    -PC radio tuner- Fast and clean interface

    -Whatever else I need to play DVD’s, MP3’s, DIVX, etc..

    Thanks for any input guys. I want top end but I would also not like to pay a ridicules price. I was ready to build my own(Still got the best OPUS PS), but I just have limited time right now. Thanks for any leads on this. I am ready to order and play

    -Sean B
    -Custom Widebody 332i-
    -Custom HRE wheels-

    -Focal Audio:-
    Alpine PXA-H701+C701-
    -(2)Focal 33KX-
    -(2)Focal KP165 K3P Kits-
    -(2)Focal FP 1.800 Amps-
    -(2)Focal FP 2.150 Amps-
    -(3)Xenarc 7"TSV Touch LCD’s-

    -PROJECT DETAILS-

  • #2
    Built it yourself to get the best of the best, really.
    I'd say the AOpen Pandora is a good unit at this point and time. Powering it is pretty simple with a Carnetix P1900.
    I don't know how they hold up to heat, though.
    Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
    How about the Wiki?



    Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hmmm... F it maybe I should just put the time into building my own... I will need a bit of help from you guys though.

      Right now I have an Opus 150W 12V DC-DC power supply.

      Can you help me fill the rest of my basket?

      I dont feel like making my own case though. What is a good car case with a good cooling system already installed? I would like to keep this as small an powerful/effective/reliable/shock resistant as possible. Its going in a stiffly sprung M3 powered race/show car.


      Lets see...1 gig of ram, at least. Type(Does it even matter)

      Hard drive(s)(At least 100+ gigs total) Should I go with slim laptop HD's ? Type?

      Sound card(External W/Fire wire or USB?) I want to minimize any sort of noise and maximize a clean full range signal.

      Video card(Something powerful yet not to power consuming) Only having a 150W power supply kind of sketches me out. How can that power any legit video card actually?

      Mother Board(Nice n small, USB's, Firewire, Built in wireless?, Pentium/Celeron?, Cooling?) I have no clue about mobo's.?.?

      Processor (Powerful, low temp) Again I have no idea.

      Should I get a USB wireless internet setup? or an internal card? thanks

      Anything else?

      I plan on mounting the CPU in the trunk. I want to be able to upgrade my components too if needed.

      Thanks a million for any help. This should be fun. I am ready to start ordering stuff right now. Lets make this system bad ***.

      -SeanB
      -Custom Widebody 332i-
      -Custom HRE wheels-

      -Focal Audio:-
      Alpine PXA-H701+C701-
      -(2)Focal 33KX-
      -(2)Focal KP165 K3P Kits-
      -(2)Focal FP 1.800 Amps-
      -(2)Focal FP 2.150 Amps-
      -(3)Xenarc 7"TSV Touch LCD’s-

      -PROJECT DETAILS-

      Comment


      • #4
        If you're lazy like me and have money, you can get a tablet laptop or a regular - nice and small/light - laptop.

        Check out the link in my sig to see what I'm doing.

        Yeah, it doesnt look factory. yeah i have to take it out and put it back in when i leave the car - this idea does have its up and downs. but, by far, this is the EASIEST way to get all the benefits of a carputer minus the $$$ you gotta shell out, the hassle of running wires, worrying about heating, etc etc etc.

        I'm lazy, cheap and dont like to work MORE THAN I HAVE TO to get what i want. so i bought a tablet.

        ;]
        - sh00k
        Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

        My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

        Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]



        _________________
        Economy/Commuter cars + Computers = many entertained miles

        Comment


        • #5
          Something to help you also.....

          Click the big link in my sig.

          Peace,

          Rafster
          Post # 3000

          Comment


          • #6
            looks like you essentially just posted the exact same questions over again in a new thread....brilliant!
            Jan Bennett
            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

            Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
              looks like you essentially just posted the exact same questions over again in a new thread....brilliant!
              :wsh:

              Also, you are living in a LA LA land if you think that "I need the most powerfull system, and gobs of memeory, and the best video card, and the best soundcard"blah blah blah.

              You are constrained by several things in a car setup. The most notable is power. DC-DC power supplies are not as powerfull as AC-DC units. That means gobs of ram and superduper video card and a superduper top of the line 3.0 gig CPU are out of the question. You have to read up on why.

              Want the best soundcard, be prepared to shell out big bucks. At least to me, it is big bucks, too you, an audiophile building a race/show car (HAHAHAHAHA, hear that all the time, and yet, anyone will tell you, a show car is a trailer queen/*****, and a race car is made to go fast, **** the looks, it is all about function and going fast, but whatever) it might not be too expensive.

              Oh ya, and you want it small. So tell me, how many superduper, powerfull MBs do you know that are small, and have room for a massive video card, and a super duper sound card. Catch my drift, small is not conducive to super duper, super duper is not conducive to powering it.

              What you are asking for is basically in apposites, and also, you are asking us to SPOON FEED YOU the answers. Oh ya, and you want it to be something you can just buy. Well, in that case, find the best most superest, duperest desktop you can find, and put it in your show/race car (giggle giggle, cause it is too funny to say with out laughing) Try powering that unit with a 150 watt OPUS, which I might add, probably isn't the BEST PS, though it is a very good PS. You know that the DSATX can supply 220 watts (read up on the PS FAW to understand what that all means, because I am almost sure you don't know what it really means when they say 150 watts/220 watts and the requirements of your MB) and then of course, you want the best, and don't want to pay a lot.

              Here are your 3 options, Small, Powerfull, Cheap, pick 2

              Make up your mind what you want to acomplish, set your budget, and then shop within those requirements and budget, all the while being concerned with how you will power it.

              In order to do that, READ THE FORUMS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.

              Read ALL the FAQs,

              AND STOP DOUBLE POSTING.

              Michael
              ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                In order to do that, READ THE FORUMS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.

                Read ALL the FAQs,
                Oh, and once your done reading the forums and the FAQs once, do it again, cuz I'm sure you're gonna miss something and then ask another question that's already been answered 5 Million times.

                Peace,

                Rafster
                Post # 3000

                Comment


                • #9
                  Any old PIII (hell even some PII systems) can handle the majority (including everything you mentioned) carputing needs today. Good, expensive sound cards are mostly CPU independent so that's no worry. You don't need much of video card for good winamp visualizations. Practically any 3D contemporary card will do. I also ditto WiredWRX about the current power/size/super-duper trade-offs. You can't have it all - and eat cake... or something - like that.
                  My Install Thread
                  digitaljetta.com

                  MKIV VW Jetta
                  How do I get sound to my car?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rafster
                    Oh, and once your done reading the forums and the FAQs once, do it again, cuz I'm sure you're gonna miss something and then ask another question that's already been answered 5 Million times.

                    Peace,

                    Rafster
                    Lol , they should make a sticky thread in every section with arial black fonts with the B thing and text at size 7 that points to that thread in your signature.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      we're working on it kevin, we're working on it...lol

                      however, in this case, the guy says he already read it. I'm not so sure about that though, because of his questions that he posted AFTER reading it.

                      btw:
                      for anyone that's wondering http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80825
                      Jan Bennett
                      FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                      Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I guess I'll post this over here too, since it's the SAME question and all:

                        Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                        Welcome to the boards and thanks for reading the starter thread!

                        It's good to see another audiophile in the mix!

                        I will go ahead and warn you, what you are asking for someone to do is essentially spoon feed you. That's not looked upon very highly here and is generally met with a lot of harsh comments. I will try and reserve mine, but some might slip through the cracks.

                        I highly that suggest you spend the time to research what you need based on your needs and not based on what other people tell you that you need. The reason for this is that no one other than you will know exactly what you need and why.

                        I would suggest checking out the install forum and seeing what people are running. Using the search feature to search for things as you find them and see what people are doing.

                        In order to be successful and enjoy this hobby you really do need to have at least a basic understanding of PCs. From your post I gather that you understand the basics of what all is needed to have a working PC but have never spent much time around them to know why.

                        Many of us who have implemented a successful PC install in our cars spent months researching before we purchased anything.

                        You say you want a gig, do you understand the benefits and drawbacks to running a gig of memory in the car and how it affects the start-up and shut-down times as well as standby and hibernation?

                        You ask about hard drives, there have very recently been a few threads asking about the comparisons between laptop and full size drives. You need to find those threads and read up on them to understand the difference and why people go with each.

                        Sound card, same thing here. There are many options. Since you are going with a sound Q system, you need to determine your input to your processor/amps to determine what kind of sound card you are going to run. Again, this would be discovered after doing a bit of researching.

                        Video card - with a hair of research, it would become quite apparent that powerful video cards are not necessary in most cases. Not only do they generate heat and consume power, many on board video cards are adequate enough to play DVDs without an issue.

                        As for the motherboard, you need to pick that as well. For instance, my needs are totally different from yours, I am going to require an optical out, and the ability to run a Core Duo or other mobile processor. I also want a mATX or fATX board. The same thing applies to the processor, some of them even have them built in.

                        Should you get a wireless card? I don't know, should you? How would we know?

                        As for extending the drive, again, research would answer this rather quickly.

                        I'm sorry if much of this seems to be harsh and short, however I'm trying to help you in the long run. By doing your own research you will be learning how to also trouble shoot your install and system. You will also be able to make much more informed decisions that will save you money in the long run.

                        I'd also suggest reading this thread: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=51489

                        Also, for a little bit of an explanation on why we here are a tad irritated with spoon feeding: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=53368

                        Now, with all of that said, if you have specific questions about how this or that works, or how to integrate this and that other thing, or the quality of something, feel free to post the questions all you want. Hell, PM me with them if you would rather. I'm always more than willing to assist when I can tell that someone has done their research.

                        Welcome to the boards. Enjoy our hobby and prepare to be sucked in!
                        Jan Bennett
                        FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                        Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Another idea would ; after signing up a person can only access one thread and its the one in rafs sig and some faqs in the faq section , and they cant post in it. All this for just a few hours , then they can get access to the real forum.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by breaker021
                            If you're lazy like me and have money, you can get a tablet laptop or a regular - nice and small/light - laptop.

                            Check out the link in my sig to see what I'm doing.

                            Yeah, it doesnt look factory. yeah i have to take it out and put it back in when i leave the car - this idea does have its up and downs. but, by far, this is the EASIEST way to get all the benefits of a carputer minus the $$$ you gotta shell out, the hassle of running wires, worrying about heating, etc etc etc.

                            I'm lazy, cheap and dont like to work MORE THAN I HAVE TO to get what i want. so i bought a tablet.

                            ;]
                            - sh00k
                            Haha, thanks. I was actually thinking of going this route a few years back but I knew it would be too limiting. Thanks for the input though.



                            Originally posted by Rafster
                            Something to help you also.....

                            Click the big link in my sig.

                            Peace,

                            Rafster
                            Thanks, tons of great info there. I need to spend more time on the links in there. I am looking for certain setups that people already have running so I can get a better idea of how I should piece this together. As posted, my top priority is sound quality. I guess I should have reworded my needs to something that can be quickly answered. Something like…”I am looking to build a computer with the best possible sound output with the least amount of noise, can your computer handle this? Care to share your specs? It’s got to do all the basics too.”

                            I figured a few people over here would be cool with just typing down a few system specs they know of which could handle my needs. I thought my needs would be the same as all you veterans.

                            I guess I just need advice on a nice sound card with a good output(Firewire, Optical, SPDIF, whatever) and a system to support it and the usual car-pc goodies.


                            Originally posted by Red GTi VR6
                            looks like you essentially just posted the exact same questions over again in a new thread....brilliant!
                            Don’t be a prick.

                            The new thread is about building a machine from scratch...Hints the title "I have an Opus 150 Watt PSU already. Suggestions please for the rest.Sound Quality++"

                            This thread started out with me just wanting to buy a pre-made system...hints the title "What is the best complete(ready to install) car computer on the market right now?"

                            Sure some of the starting content is the same, because it is relevant, but the questions are different.

                            This thread was heading in the direction of “Building” a cpu but I thought it would be best to start a thread with the proper title and proper first post.


                            Originally posted by Wiredwrx
                            :wsh:

                            Also, you are living in a LA LA land if you think that "I need the most powerfull system, and gobs of memeory, and the best video card, and the best soundcard"blah blah blah.

                            You are constrained by several things in a car setup. The most notable is power. DC-DC power supplies are not as powerfull as AC-DC units. That means gobs of ram and superduper video card and a superduper top of the line 3.0 gig CPU are out of the question. You have to read up on why.

                            Want the best soundcard, be prepared to shell out big bucks. At least to me, it is big bucks, too you, an audiophile building a race/show car (HAHAHAHAHA, hear that all the time, and yet, anyone will tell you, a show car is a trailer queen/*****, and a race car is made to go fast, **** the looks, it is all about function and going fast, but whatever) it might not be too expensive.

                            Oh ya, and you want it small. So tell me, how many superduper, powerfull MBs do you know that are small, and have room for a massive video card, and a super duper sound card. Catch my drift, small is not conducive to super duper, super duper is not conducive to powering it.

                            What you are asking for is basically in apposites, and also, you are asking us to SPOON FEED YOU the answers. Oh ya, and you want it to be something you can just buy. Well, in that case, find the best most superest, duperest desktop you can find, and put it in your show/race car (giggle giggle, cause it is too funny to say with out laughing) Try powering that unit with a 150 watt OPUS, which I might add, probably isn't the BEST PS, though it is a very good PS. You know that the DSATX can supply 220 watts (read up on the PS FAW to understand what that all means, because I am almost sure you don't know what it really means when they say 150 watts/220 watts and the requirements of your MB) and then of course, you want the best, and don't want to pay a lot.

                            Here are your 3 options, Small, Powerfull, Cheap, pick 2

                            Make up your mind what you want to acomplish, set your budget, and then shop within those requirements and budget, all the while being concerned with how you will power it.

                            In order to do that, READ THE FORUMS FROM TOP TO BOTTOM.

                            Read ALL the FAQs,

                            AND STOP DOUBLE POSTING.

                            Michael
                            When I was referring to “best” this and “best” that I was speaking in context. I am not a complete newbie to building computers and basic electronics. Yes I refer to wanting a “fast” cpu and a “powerful” video card but I also bring up only having a 150W PSU to work with. I never said anything about a “superduper” 3.0 Ghz system. Again I should have worded my questions in a different way. Something like “Who has the best SQ system and what are their specs”

                            Yes, I will spend big bucks on a sound card. The is the one component I have no price limit for.

                            Oh and about your whole race/car show car rant. To me a show car is a nice looking one of a kind car, but it’s still a car, so drive it. My car wins shows because it is unique, has a cool story behind how I designed it, and because I drive the **** out of it on the track and through the back roads. I did not invest over 10,000 in performance parts alone for nothing. I also do all my work myself. Come see my car at a HPDE( high performance driving event) when I have over 600 RWHP and then we can talk about if my car is deserving of being called a show/race car. If coming out to an event is too difficult just pic up an early Fall edition of Euro Turner Magazine. If all goes as planned, our feature will come together showing everything from the show to go. Hopefull I will have a nice cpu in there to show off too.

                            Here are a few pics of it just for kicks…Ahh 285/30/19’s in the rear :-)




                            Please stop with your super duper ****..What, do you take it up the *** daily? Lol

                            Anyways, Yea I want it small, relatively speaking. You guys are the experts. What is a nice sized case that will give me some room to work with? I am sure it will be the same case that more than half of you use or have heard about using.

                            “Well, in that case, find the best most superest, duperest desktop you can find, and put it in your show/race car (giggle giggle, cause it is too funny to say with out laughing) Try powering that unit with a 150 watt OPUS”

                            Wow, I feel sorry for you.


                            Originally posted by ppgt94
                            Any old PIII (hell even some PII systems) can handle the majority (including everything you mentioned) carputing needs today. Good, expensive sound cards are mostly CPU independent so that's no worry. You don't need much of video card for good winamp visualizations. Practically any 3D contemporary card will do. I also ditto WiredWRX about the current power/size/super-duper trade-offs. You can't have it all - and eat cake... or something - like that.
                            THANK YOU. Very helpful. Good to hear. I just need to research I guess on what car to go with to avoid analog output. Yea, I realize I cant have it all I just want what has proven to work best around here for SQ systems.
                            -Custom Widebody 332i-
                            -Custom HRE wheels-

                            -Focal Audio:-
                            Alpine PXA-H701+C701-
                            -(2)Focal 33KX-
                            -(2)Focal KP165 K3P Kits-
                            -(2)Focal FP 1.800 Amps-
                            -(2)Focal FP 2.150 Amps-
                            -(3)Xenarc 7"TSV Touch LCD’s-

                            -PROJECT DETAILS-

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              BEHMER -

                              I've attempted to give you some assistance. I've attempted to help you out here.

                              I've attempted to be nice and think I've done a fair job of it. I even warned you that you would get some of these responses....

                              You say you want the best SQ set-up. Bravo. However, do you truly understand what all is involved or are you one of those folks who just does it because they want to do it. Never bothering to understand why or how?

                              I'd suggest you take a look at my set-up and what I'm running (see my sig to know why). I'm not into the sound Q game for the looks or the tropheys, I'm into it because I love this stuff. Where are you on the fence?

                              Spending a lot of money on a sound card isn't your best bet. Again, if you had done your research, you wold know this.
                              Jan Bennett
                              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                              Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X