No announcement yet.

Decoder with A/B switch or ATI TV OUT?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoder with A/B switch or ATI TV OUT?

I currently have a system built and configured using a P200 MMX, 64megs of RAM, that is running W2K, MP3, GPS,DVD, etc. I am using a ATI All in Wonder 8meg video card w/ TV OUT. The only hitch in the system is the DVD video performance, which is running @ about 29fps (according to PowerDVD). I would upgrade the memory but the motherboard is a little specific. It only has 2 DIMMS and with SDRAM it only goes up to 64meg and EDO up to 128. THus far the cheapest I find EDO RAM for is about $100 for 128meg (to much!) and also, this still might not get it up to speed. The next option was try using a AMD K6 CPU so I could software decode, but the board is only 66MHZ thus limiting my options to a 200MHZ CPU. The only option left is to use a Hollywood Plus decoder card. The price is right and I have 1 available PCI slot, so here's the question. Since this card uses a "pass throguh cable", will I still be able to get ALL video output via the ATI card or will I have to incorporate a A/B switch and use the ATI for TV/VDC/CAMERA and the Hollywood Plus strictly for DVD output?

Also

Also when using this card are you limited to using software that comes with the card or can you use PowerDVD, WINDDVD, etc.?

Comment

No... I strongly recommend u upgrade ur mb.
      abcd-1
      Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
      You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Also

Yeah, I'm trying to avoid that but it's looking like my best option right now.

Comment

Have you tried an older less CPU intensive OS ie 95 or 98 lite?
          And you say people actually pay money for M$ Windows?
          www.mp3mini.co.uk (Does what it says on the URL) www.openclassic.co.uk (The new car, with zero rust!) www.rob-web.co.uk (My other site)
          Total re-design underway: on the whole progress is very slow as the car is taking up too much time :)

Comment

Yeah I initially was going to load the machine with 98 but for some reason within BIOS, my secondary IDE was disabled, and I wasn't able to enable it. I'm a Computer Tech and I tried everything with no success. I then decided to load W2K just for kicks and lo and behold, my secondary controller is now enabled in the OS and BIOS (go figure). I actually like the stability of W2k and am getting a bootup time of about 40 seconds which is just fine with me.

Comment

Call me crazy but doesnt the AIW already have DVD decoding? So why get another decoder? Get some more RAM dood!

Comment

Well the AIW that I have is a older one so it's not true DVD decoding, just DVD "assisting". I'm trying to do this as cheap as possible. I actually have a bunch of Compaq 200mmx motherboards and cpus, that have 3 dimm slots (sdram) that I already have for a total of 192MB of RAM, opposed to the EDO Ram that the current board uses. Does anybody think that a 200mmx coupled with the AIW card and 192megs of RAM will cut the mustard?

Comment

If your'e trying to keep your costs down I would just setup one of the 200mmx boards. The MMX will help DVD decoding a little I would imagine and 192 mbs of sdram beats the **** outta 64 of EDO SIMMS. Go for it, I dont know about cutting the mustard but it will definately help

Comment

Well as it turns out, my compay is tossing all of the old MMX machines, so i got one, clocked it to 233mmx and tossed in a total of 256MB RAM. Based on the perfomance that I am getting with the 200mmx w 64MB of RAM, I believe this will do the trick. I will post my results after I'm able to test at home.

Comment

Oh well I swapped boards and reloaded windows and no I get slightly better performance, watchable but not perfect. I've been reading that Cinemaster better optimizes the ATI cards. Can anyone confirm this?, I've been using PowerDVD XP 4.0 and WIN DVD 3.0. I get much better results with Power DVD than WIN DVD. In the process of swapping boards, I also have added 15 seconds to my startup time, as well as adding 2 inches in height. I still may keep it as is though just to give myself that extra buffer. Well I guess I'll try to find a copy of Cinemaster or ATI Player to see if that helps.

Comment

Working...
                      X