keeping the carputer cool?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• keeping the carputer cool?

ok well it gets to about 90 F sometimes, and well the interior of my car is black, as is the carputer case (my exterior is yellow) well, generally the puter is around 60C probly hotter now (its been unplugged for almost 2 weeks) which is quite hot, how are you guys keeping your computers cool?

i really dont think a fan would do too much, unless i have the fan running all day, because even if the fan turned on while the computer was on, it wouldnt really have enough time to cool it too much

It easily gets to be 100+ F where I live. Thus, I been starting car, M2-ATX automatically turns on carputer, hit power switch to turn off the carputer, turn on AC, and then, hit power switch to restart the carputer when it's cool inside the car.
    CAR:06 350Z | LCD:Xenarc 700TSV | PS:M2-ATX | CPU:2.0GHz Turion 64 | MB:GA-K8N51GMF | RAM:1GB PC3500 DDR | HDD:WD 250GB SATA | USB1:Zoom 140M WiFi | USB2:iOne Scorpius Keyboard | USB3:Logitech Wingman | SERIAL:GPS BR-355

Comment

Keeping the carputer cool? Just throw a pair of fashionable shades on it! ;]

Bull****ting aside, if you have the carputer guts in a case, a single good sized and HIGH RPM fan will definitely help. make sure the fan is positioned so it is sucking air from INSIDE the case and PUSHING IT OUTSIDE of the case. This is a good solution in your car pc is in some sort of case. this wouldn't work on those mini-itx cases since they're small as hell.

www.plycon.com has some good high-speed fans. i think like a 2" or 3" would do. this fan would work just like your processor fan - meaning it would stay on as long as your PC is on.

Also, if you are using a 3.5" hard drive - we know how ******* hot these things get. this would be a cool setup:

in the case, somehow, mount a fan that blows air AT the hard drive. the fan should be position in a way where it's pushing air over the hard drive and towards the other fan which is blowing all the hot air from inside the case to out! that way you would have some serious airflow in your case - which generally brings down the temp. quite a bit.
      - sh00k
      Duct tape and a Bandana for the win, b!shes!!!

My Setup:http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=73500

Cost so far: Less than a grand ;]

Comment

I just built a case (with a hole in the side)and slide it under my seat right next to the AC vent. AC = best way to cool it down. The End.

Comment

ac can be a solution, but it can also bring HUGE condensation problems with it.... try cooling the pc for a while with the ac on high, then cut the ac & open the windows on a hot day.... you will build up condensation on your pc bigtime...

condensation can be a bad thing....
          MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
            condensation can be a bad thing....
            what do you mean water isnt good for my computer u mean i cant take my carputer swimming with me?

lol

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
              open the windows on a hot day.
              ???!?!?!? Who the hell does that?

Comment

ya i have this case

http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...02d88c0f282c8d

would tinting the windows help any? i would only tint the sides 30% (my dad would be ****ed to **** if the tint wasnt legal, plus i have BRIGHT YELLow mr2, so im sure cops would be more attracted to it then other cars with illegal tints)

Comment

^^ same exact thing w/ my dad.. lol but hell.. if he has me on insurance i guess i gata follow his rules..

yea i got the legal tint on my car.. basically what it does is make it cooler when you are driving around. instead of having to keep the ac on 3/4 the whole trip you can cool your car then keep it 10-15% power the rest of the ride. As for heat when your car is parked.. it will get hot.. what i do is crack my windows all day.. but who cares how hot the carputer gets if its not on? as long as its not direct sun light its ok imo.

Comment

my alpine headunit in another install used to get cooled (unintentionally) by the a/c ducts for the dash vents.....

If I ever got stuck in heavy traffic, & decided to kill the a/c the alpine built up so much condensation quickly, that the dvd/cd drive wouldn't work fo a while... if I ejected the disk it was actually wet!

the hardrive heat may help it build up less, but it's a potential problem at least.... dew forms with quick teperature swings from cool to warm...

a/c cooling has a lot of potential for problems..., mainly if the a/c goes off before the computer, but even a shutdown & park for 5 minutes & a restart can be potential for issues

Comment

well Bboy_jon i use my car ac.. sure maybe there are little risk but w/e. it works fine for me and it cools my pc pretty well. so listen to who you want. mine advise works for me.

Comment

I'm not saying it can't work, but you should be aware of how this could go wrong too, & yes it is a bit more risk... I would at least not blast it so much on the pc that it really cools it to the point it's cold.... cooling the ambient air around the pc is a little safer...

Comment

is 60º C bad for a CARputer?

Comment

what do u guys do if ur computer doesnt even boot because of the heat? i cant stand quietness while driving (probably should have left the HU in just in case for radio or cd)

my amd athlon mobile system i installed doesnt even boot if the outside temperature is greater than 80 some degrees (inside is a lot hotter because my car has black interior to go with a black exterior). It just shuts down automatically within seconds of getting power.

but the mII12000 system i had was a lot better at handling heat. It would operate just fine, i think i had a couple of lock ups in last year but that was only when the temp was greater than 95.

im thinking im gonna have to have a summer computer and a winter computer

if it wasnt for cdrskul flash skins for RR, i would probably just stick with the mII2000 system i originally had, but they are so nice i had to upgrade it.
                            I wish i knew how to do fiberglass work...

Comment

hmm, i think its gotten hotter in the passed couple weeks (since i havent had my comp plugged in) and so i hope it still runs fine when i plug it back in

Comment

Working...
                              X