PCMCIA -> Serial-port WOR?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PCMCIA -> Serial-port WOR?

I know this is a long shot, but what the hell...

According to the specs, my CarPC-to-be laptop supports WOR and WOL. I wouldn't want to use the WOL to wake it up, as my car is very small and I don't want a bulky linksys to be fitted in, too. So that leaves me with WOR. Now, the computer doesn't have a com-port, either. So I was thinking, would it be possible to use a PCMCIA - serialport -adapter for this?

I guess what the question comes down to is: do the laptops usually leave power on in the PCMCIA-bus when they go into stand by or hibernate?

Originally posted by juhoa
    I guess what the question comes down to is: do the laptops usually leave power on in the PCMCIA-bus when they go into stand by or hibernate?
    Standby - yes, hibernate - maybe
    Anyway, you risk killing your battery if the system stays in standby over night or (heaven forbid) you don't diver your car for a day or two.

There's a few ways to simulate pressing the power button while placing zero strain on your battery...

1. There are "Intelligent Vehicle PSU Kits" that can automatically turn on the computer when the car starts, and place it in standby when your turn the car off... then automatically turn it off after a few hours of not starting the car. However, you would need to be a little creative to make these devices work on a laptop... I don't think they have standard ATX connector for the power supply.

2. Another option is building a 'Startup/Shutdown controller' as outlined here (this link has some other ideas too... check it out)

Comment

Working...
    X