will desktop pc hdd work with car pcs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• will desktop pc hdd work with car pcs

i want to do a car pc but the largest laptop drive i could find is like 160gb.well i want like a 320 because i want lots of mmovies and music.will desktop pc hdd work or do they use to much power.

how big of hdd do u guys have and is it enough

Why wouldn't it work? If you are worried about power, then you have to use a power calculator, based on your ENTIRE SYSTEM, not a single component, to figure that out.

Michael
    ...I love the French language...especially to curse with...Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperies de connards d'enculés de ta mère. You see, it's like wiping your *** with silk, I love it.

Comment

i dunno i thought maybe the laptop hdd maybe had less power consumption.
      i think ill just get a 250 gb hdd once i build it

Comment

Search around a little bit. You'll find that quite a few people on this forum, myself included, run desktop drives.

You just gotta figure out what will work for you. Figure out your system you want first, then you can figure out how to power it.
        Tidder

Try RevFE
        The best resurrected frontend I've ever used, period.

I Wish I could ban people

Comment

what size do tou guys have and how much do you have on it.i want to have about 100 full movies and like 2000 songs will this fit.how big do you reccomend.with movies averaging730mb

Comment

I'm not into videos at all. I use a 120GB HDD and have about 50GB of MP3s loaded onto the drive right now. That translates to several hundred albums.
            Realistically, you're not going to watch all those videos while you're driving anyway.

For TheLandYacht and his taxi, I can see having the funky buttload of media for passenger entertainment. For the average driver, it's overkill.
            Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
            How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

i wonder if the higher storage harddrives have thinner disks and are more likely to fail. has this topic been discussed?
              New System in progress:
              M10k
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Dynaudio MD130
              Phaze TD1500 ~> Seas g18rnx/p
              Zapco Ref 500.1 ~ 12" tc-9
              Behringer DCX2496 ~ Envision Electronics psu
              Transflective Xenarc

My Car Pc Install
              My Boat Pc worklog

Comment

it will pretty much just to have a wide range of movies without having to carry dvds me and my friends drive to sixflags alot and movies will be good for a car full of bored teenagers

Comment

Best thing to do, IMHO, if you need a lot of storage is to use a laptop drive (maybe 20 gigs or so) for the operating system and all your installed programs, etc. And then have a separate higher capacity desktop drive for your music and movies. That way, if the desktop drive fails at least the carPC keeps working because the laptop drive will be OK, so you can at least still run your GPS software or whatever; my first system was that way, and it was nice when my desktop drive did crap out at one point to at least still have navigation.

The other reason I suggest this is that you can focus on actually getting your system running with the laptop drive, before you worry about where and how to mount and power the big desktop drive.

Putting the desktop drive in an external USB enclosure may be a good idea, some of those are designed to shock-mount the hard drive for a little more durability, plus you can easily unplug the drive and bring it inside to copy stuff over if you need.
                  But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
                  Originally posted by Viscouse
                  I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
                  eegeek.net

Comment

uhhhh, 100X730 = 73000mb, so thats only 73gb
                    2000x5(general size of my mp3's)=10000 = 10gb

u apparently only need about an 80gb hard drive for the stuff you want on it, not to mention OS, progs and stuff, so you'd be fine with a 120gb even

320gb?, what you want, like 450 movies, or 64,000 mp3's on ur comp?, i dont think that ur gonna go on a road trip that long, hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by evandude
                      Putting the desktop drive in an external USB enclosure may be a good idea, some of those are designed to shock-mount the hard drive for a little more durability, plus you can easily unplug the drive and bring it inside to copy stuff over if you need.
                      i honestly dont think shock proofing is required at all, from my experience kicking and punching my desktop, knocking it over while its running whatever, i've never had a bad sector right, its never broken, its never done anything but work perfectly

2 hds in my comp (both work great) both maxtor, one is a 40gb, one is a 160gb

both run 24/7, 40gb for over 3 years, 160 about 2, still, never a problem, both work fine after being kicked, punched, knocked over

i dont know where or how you guys drive, but, i dont think the shock is gonna be the same as kicking your desktop case and knocking it over, the car has shocks already

Comment

100 was just an estimate curently i have 40 movies on my pc and that after 3 days of gathering more to come.and harddrives usually dont have as much storage as they claim my 250 gb seagate only has 232

Comment

Originally posted by ricecrispy210
                          100 was just an estimate curently i have 40 movies on my pc and that after 3 days of gathering more to come.and harddrives usually dont have as much storage as they claim my 250 gb seagate only has 232
                          That's because the manufacturers measure a kilobyte as 1000 bytes when it's really 1024. Same for megabytes and gigabytes. It's marketing hype.
                          Deal with it.
                          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
                          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

Working...
                          X