"Make-a-plug" question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Make-a-plug" question

I picked up a few of those plug adapters at RS and the corresponding power cord. The plugs are going to my Aopen miniPC and Xenarc to the P1900. The problem, how do I know which wire is + and -? The plug can fit either way on the power cable and either a + or - is facing the TIP at the end of the cable.

I know this question is confusing, but how do I tell which wire of my new plug is + or -. I'm working on an illustration to help explain...

one word : Voltmeter.
    MII12000 | 512MB PC3200 | 60GB 2.5" Samsung
    M2-ATX 160W PS | SlotLoad DVD/CDRW | BU353 GPS
    7" Lilliput 619 | WinTV | WIFI | Bluetooth
    Audigy2 ZS | HQCT | Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router(3G)
    Roadrunner | LSXvoid | IGuidance 3

My Worklog

Comment

The end of the white plug reads "+" and the end of the black connector reads "TIP" - I'm sure that is of some significance. I know that generally the black/white stripped wire is +, but I think the polarity changes depending on which way the plug is attached.

Let me know if I can make it any clearer...

Comment

I do have a voltmeter, but without power to my cord, it is no good...

Comment

You don't need power.... what you want to check is for continuity. put + from the voltimeter (red) inside the barrel and the - (black) one of the cables then you will know which is which.

Thanatos.
          RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
          We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

Okay, so w/some research - I have discovered that the polarity of the Xenarc is Tip Positive - but will the black/white wire still correspond to the +?

Comment

Also have in mind that the xenarc + is the inside of the barel and - the out side.

THanatos.
              RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
              We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

I won't lie, I've had a few drinks but your last posts make 0 sense to me. Here is a better picture. I wish I had some better search terms to figure this out... but I need to fill in the "?"

Comment

Using the voltmeter, I know which wire goes with each hole in the barrell, but how does that help me? I'm failing to see the big picture here...

Comment

Oh ****! If I put the + end of the voltmeter into the hole in the plug (white) and touch the - end of the voltmeter to the black/white wire I get some action (making it the hot wire). Touching it to the solid black gives me nothing (thus it is ground, right?) We may have just had a breakthrough...

Comment

Originally posted by InHoc
                      Oh ****! If I put the + end of the voltmeter into the hole in the plug (white) and touch the - end of the voltmeter to the black/white wire I get some action (making it the hot wire). Touching it to the solid black gives me nothing (thus it is ground, right?) We may have just had a breakthrough...

thats exactly what testing for continuity is +_+

which someone has said already, it just makes a connection, from one point to another, if there's a connection made, ur voltmeter will beep, or light up or whatever

Comment

Working...
                      X