• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sata drive problems

So my setup is as follows-

Via fanless epia SP8000
    WD 250gb sata 3 16mb cache hd

Issue at hand is this, the motherboard doesn't have any floppy drive connections and I want to use the sata drive to put everything including windows on. Thing is I can't install the sata drivers to recognize the sata drive on the windows install. What should I do? Would it be possible to use an external usb floppy drive?

I also have another question- it may seem a bit unconventional to most but I'll be running a 17inch LCD screen. I ordered a power inverter via cig lighter which is rated at 200watts and 400 peak. The monitor is said to only use 34watts- this will be alright right? No sneaky hairy bunnies I shouldn't be expecting to blow the fuses?

you can use a usb floppy drive to install windows. I believe that only certain USB floppy drives work. You could also get a power cable splitter that has a FDD power connector and use a standard floppy drive. You should be able to pick them up from any computer or electronics stores.

The inverter for the monitor should be ok. Just make sure you fuse it for safety.
    Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Power for the floppy drive isn't an issue(i actually have that splitted already) it's the actual connection to the motherboard not having anything to connect the floppy drive to. What USB floppy drives can be used for installing the sata drivers during windows install?

Also cause I'll be wanting to have everything ready to go before I put any of this in my car- what could I use to power the PC while it's sitting here at home? Could I use a battery charger you find at garages(good stuff, not crap)?

Comment

ahhh. I get you. sorry about that. Not sure, but I remember an IT mate of mine complaning about it. If I see him on later I will ask for you.
        Never let the truth get in the way of a good story

Comment

Originally posted by EtoS
          Issue at hand is this, the motherboard doesn't have any floppy drive connections and I want to use the sata drive to put everything including windows on. Thing is I can't install the sata drivers to recognize the sata drive on the windows install. What should I do? Would it be possible to use an external usb floppy drive?
          I suggest slipstreaming your XP install so it includes the SATA drivers. Google it. It takes some work, but is worth it, IMHO.

I also have another question- it may seem a bit unconventional to most but I'll be running a 17inch LCD screen. I ordered a power inverter via cig lighter which is rated at 200watts and 400 peak. The monitor is said to only use 34watts- this will be alright right? No sneaky hairy bunnies I shouldn't be expecting to blow the fuses?
          That should be fine, yeah.
          Although if the monitor has a "power brick", check the rating on it. You may very well be able to power the monitor off the 12v from your PSU, preventing a lot of unnecessary cabling.
          I thought about doing that w/ my 15" screen I'm using temporarily, but since I'm going to put it on a desktop eventually, I vetoed that idea.
          Have you looked in the FAQ yet?
          How about the Wiki?

Under normal circumstances, a signature would go here.

Comment

What about using nlite ( http://www.nliteos.com/ ) to build an install CD including the Sata drivers? Assume you are building an XP based system.
            Trying to fit a PC into an Alfa Romeo GTV. It's installed, but the buttons have fallen off since.

Comment

Well thanks for all the help. However all that is far too much trouble IMO simply cause this motherboard doesn't have a god awefull floppy drive(i honostly think that's just plain stupid). I'll just order a 320gb ATA drive and sell this sata to make up for the lose. Hint to the future- if ya want sata make sure it's got a floppy drive =/

I also need to know if I can hook the computer to a car charger you find in garages to power it so I can install windows/transfer files/install programs and set it up before it goes in the car?

Comment

look simple resolution go into bios and set sata to IDE in your bios and walla no more problems you just have to find it in the bios it should be where you can set it from raid to ahci there should also be a option for sata.

Comment

Originally posted by EtoS
                  Well thanks for all the help. However all that is far too much trouble IMO simply cause this motherboard doesn't have a god awefull floppy drive(i honostly think that's just plain stupid). I'll just order a 320gb ATA drive and sell this sata to make up for the lose. Hint to the future- if ya want sata make sure it's got a floppy drive =/

I also need to know if I can hook the computer to a car charger you find in garages to power it so I can install windows/transfer files/install programs and set it up before it goes in the car?
                  IMHO, you ought to learn how to use nlite... it is a really neat program that does more than just slipstream drivers.... and if you give up this easily on something, maybe the carpc route isn't for you!!! Buying new hardware, just to avoid a little software complication, isn't in the "spirit" of the hobby!
                  But, as always, it's up to you!
                  Project "Media-Z" : 99 Camaro Z28 (Click to View)

Comment

Originally posted by kiztope
                    IMHO, you ought to learn how to use nlite... it is a really neat program that does more than just slipstream drivers.... and if you give up this easily on something, maybe the carpc route isn't for you!!! Buying new hardware, just to avoid a little software complication, isn't in the "spirit" of the hobby!
                    But, as always, it's up to you!
                    I have been building computers for 8 or so odd years now- a little short cut here and there won't hurt. Ultimately I don't have alot of time between work, school, volunteer work, responsibilities and such. I can't afford to sit down for a couple days to learn something new. All I'd like to do is get the computer up and working in my car for now and later on I'll deal with other issues. Also it's a matter of smarter vs harder. I could get a cheaper ATA drive and have it working fine no problem or settle for the problematic sata drive that I honostly will not see any benefit in having in such an already slow computer that will only play music and movies and possibly arcade games. If you like the whole problem solving more power to ya man but honostly I got enough problems as it is

Comment

Working...
                    X