Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• long ide cable

im thinking of putting my pc in my boot but want my dvd drive in the front

does anyone now where i can get a long ide cable from? longest i have found on the net is 45cm's

since im in the uk a uk based company would be best

thanks

IDE cables won't go that far. Put the DVD drive in an enclosure with a USB to IDE adapter.
    System status: in progress

Comment

so i need to use a ide to usb at the fornt of the car then usb to ide at the rear?

Comment

ide cables CANT really go anymore than about 45cm, any more than that and theirs signal loss, and your hd or cd drive or whatever more than likely wont run that well (if at all), some people have had success making their own cable a little bit longer, but, its not worth the effort, imo

do what change said, put the dvd in an external enclosure, such as the one in the mp3car store, then just run the usb cable over 20 feet if you want to, another good thing about usb, the cable is smaller, so its easier to hide

Comment

the enclosure is the usb->ide (the dvd drive slides into the enclosure)

and at the mobo end, it has a male usb connector that just plugs straight into the mobo

Comment

so i plug the drive into the encolsure at the front then just run a usb to the rear?

that makes it alot aswell as the cable is smaller like you said

Comment

exactly, the enclosure has a usb cable connected to it, with male on one end, and the enclosure on the other

the dvd (we're talking about a slim-line dvd by the way), slides into the enclosure, then ur done that part, then the male connector into the mobo, and ur done, the pc should recognize it (drivers MIGHT be needed, depends on ur setup i guess)

but its as simple as that

1. put dvd into enclosure
              2. plug male end of usb into mobo
              3. profit

Comment

um wtf? IDE cables get much longer then 45 cm, thats only 17 inches

http://svc.com/rc36hd2.html they got 91 cm ides

but yeah.......longer then that wont work, you need a usb convertor
                PC Components:
                Lilliput; XPC/FLEX mobo; 1.7 ghz P4 Mobile;512 DDR; 160 gb HDD; opus 150; slot usb dvd-rw
                My work log

Comment

personally i wouldnt use IDE for something like this

shorter ide cables work better

and in a car, usb is just so much easier

edit: reading into it, most suggest that 18" is the longest that can be reliably used, even then, the shorter the cable the faster it'll be

36" may in fact work, but, it'll be slower than an 18"

this taken from some webpage that i forget to get the URL for

There's a problem with any cable in which signals are transmitted in parallel format. Impedance varies in relation to frequency, and the longer the cable, the greater the chance of problems. When you split a byte into individual bits, and transmit the bits on separate lines, you can find that the rate of change of signal on each separate line (i.e. the frequency) varies according to the data you are sending, and therefore how often the state of each line changes. In extreme cases, this can mean that a bit from, say byte 100, might be delayed so long that it arrives at the same time as the rest of the bits from byte 101. Result - data corruption.

Comment

well you didn't search did u!
                    i tried this a few years ago and it crapped out. i even wrapped tin foil around it. then it worked a little. just get an external ide box and run it that way. i am doing it with a dvd drive and it works perfect. oh if you are trying to use a dvd, a long ide wont work for movies but its fine for music
                    99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Same freaking question every month!! did you either bother to search? you know putting the word "long IDE cable" or "dvd in the front" or "IDE to USB"..!!!!

Thanatos.
                      RexBruMet Skin for FrodoPlayer

Nissan Aux-in MOD

Originally posted by bgoodman
                      We're an international forum, post in whatever langauge you like.

Comment

yeah thats funny cuz everybody starts out trying to get a long ide cable like they just thought it up lol
                        99.9% complete.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/212327

Comment

Originally posted by FC3S
                          exactly, the enclosure has a usb cable connected to it, with male on one end, and the enclosure on the other

the dvd (we're talking about a slim-line dvd by the way), slides into the enclosure, then ur done that part, then the male connector into the mobo, and ur done, the pc should recognize it (drivers MIGHT be needed, depends on ur setup i guess)

but its as simple as that

3. profit
                          You forgot a step. It's more like:
                          3. ???
                          4. profit
                          Gen 1: Pentium 3 1GHz - ATX - 2005
                          Gen 2: Pentium M 1.6GHz - ITX - 2006
                          Gen 3: Pentium M 2.0GHz - 5.25" SBC - 2007
                          Gen 4: (coming soon: Core2 Duo - 3.5" SBC - 2009)
                          ...it never ends

Comment

ahahahah, yeah, i forgot the question marks

Comment

Originally posted by thanatos106
                              Same freaking question every month!! did you either bother to search? you know putting the word "long IDE cable" or "dvd in the front" or "IDE to USB"..!!!!

Thanatos.
                              obviously i didnt search or i wouldnt be asking would i?

Comment

Working...
                              X