Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing OS on house PC, transfer to car?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing OS on house PC, transfer to car?

My Hd finally took a complete dump in the car, and its not very practical how i have mine setup to bring it inside. I've done this in the past, but it was with 98/ME. What are the chances of installing on my house pc hardware, even though its a totally different chipset/cpu, and then transferring it to my car and it still being usable?

Anybody else done this?

BTW, the house pc would be a p4, and the car pc is a AMX xp1900....lol.
    2000 Sunfire build 100%, or is it ever really 100%?

I've had to do it before; not on my car pc, but just on different computer because it have trouble installing windows. My advice is to not do it because I've noticed it causes instability with the system.

This is what I do and recommend:
    First, I bring the computer into my house and install a fresh OS. I install all the drivers on the motherboard and tweak it to how I like it; then, I make an image of the HDD and call it FreshCarPC.

Second, I put the computer in the car, and I load all the USB devices and configure certain things that need those USB devices (like XM favorites list). When everything is perfect to how I like it, I make another image and call it IncarOS.

Now anytime something happends, I have two back up points where I can easily and quickly back up to a brand new OS. I've had hard drives go out and different things happen, and this makes life so much easier. Also, it's good for testing hardware issues because if you restore to the image and your problems stops, then you know it was software.

Comment

Unless the hardware is very very similar, I would reccomend NOT trying to do this. 2k / XP are much more particular about the installs.

Comment

Definitely not. Build it on the same hardware or you're just asking for problems.
        PROGRESS: 20%[++--------]
        Current Project: OS Config
        Intel Mac Mini Core Duo running Win XP
        Carnetix P-1900+PNP cable
        Xenarc 700TSV
        Global Sat BU-353 GPS
        Alpine Sirius Reciever with mitchjs board
        Car2PC adapter
        RoadRunner
        PhoCo

Comment

you can do what i do and have a BBQ that day and install it in the car. Having a bunch of people around hanging out makes it go by faster. but either way its a pain. Good luck. And ghosting is always a good idea.

Comment

yeah, if the hardware is very different youll go through the whole install, just to get a blue screen in the car anyway.... not going to work...
            MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I actually ran into a spare AMD machine and Im thinking about throwing it in there and at least attempting it. Its so hot in this part of the country right now, I dont think I can deal with sitting around the car {(and my AC died, ugh) waiting for it to install.

If it doesnt work, Ill just sit in the car and install it, haha. or just start it and go sit in the shade.

I dont think I will have probs if I throw it into another similiar AMD setup, but I think intel to AMD would Blue screen.

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                yeah, if the hardware is very different youll go through the whole install, just to get a blue screen in the car anyway.... not going to work...
                fwiw... You can get an install of XP to come up on new hardware and it'll go through detection again. I've done this numerous times as I've switched motherboards on my home PC.

The blue screen you're talking about comes when XP load the drivers for the disk controller (IDE, SATA or *gasp* SCSI). If they don't init, XP will choke.

To get around this, you want to replace the IDE device driver with the generic one, then move the drive. In steps:
                • Finish what you're doing on the machine and wave goodbye to the old motherboard.
                • Open control panel
                • Double click System
                • Click Hardware
                • Click Device Manager
                • Click IDE controllers
                • Click Primary IDE
                • Click Driver/Update Driver/Install from list/Next
                • Click Don't Search/Next
                • Click Standard IDE controller/Next
                • ...Do the same for the Secondary IDE channel
                • Shutdown Windows, do NOT let it reboot on the old motherboard
                • Move the drive to the new MB
                • Boot...
                Windows should come up and go through it's hardware detection. You might need an install CD for it to pull drivers from, but usually not.

Once Windows gets through detection (it'll do everything, including the motherboard and any I/O device it finds) go back to the IDE controller and make sure that DMA is enabled on both ports, on both controllers:
                • Click on Start menu
                • Settings
                • Control Panel
                • System (you may have to switch to "Classic View" to see this)
                • Hardware
                • Device Manager
                • Open up "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
                • Double click "Primary IDE"
                • Advance Settings
                • In "Transfer mode", set to "DMA if available" (do this for both "Device 1" and "Device 2").
                • Click OK
                • If you have another entry for "Primary IDE", check there too
                • Do the same for "Secondary IDE"

I have seen MANY systems where the 2nd device on the primary IDE controller is set to "PIO". That's REALLY slow.
                :: Mark

Comment

worth a shot with a similar machine... is this a copy that needs to be activated?... there can be issues there as well if it is...
                  MY NEWEST INSTALL:modded infiniti fx with big screen

first windows carpc install........my liquid cooled LVDS screen :D

Comment

Originally posted by midiwall
                    fwiw... You can get an install of XP to come up on new hardware and it'll go through detection again. I've done this numerous times as I've switched motherboards on my home PC.

The blue screen you're talking about comes when XP load the drivers for the disk controller (IDE, SATA or *gasp* SCSI). If they don't init, XP will choke.

To get around this, you want to replace the IDE device driver with the generic one, then move the drive. In steps:
                    • Finish what you're doing on the machine and wave goodbye to the old motherboard.
                    • Open control panel
                    • Double click System
                    • Click Hardware
                    • Click Device Manager
                    • Click IDE controllers
                    • Click Primary IDE
                    • Click Driver/Update Driver/Install from list/Next
                    • Click Don't Search/Next
                    • Click Standard IDE controller/Next
                    • ...Do the same for the Secondary IDE channel
                    • Shutdown Windows, do NOT let it reboot on the old motherboard
                    • Move the drive to the new MB
                    • Boot...
                    Windows should come up and go through it's hardware detection. You might need an install CD for it to pull drivers from, but usually not.

Once Windows gets through detection (it'll do everything, including the motherboard and any I/O device it finds) go back to the IDE controller and make sure that DMA is enabled on both ports, on both controllers:
                    • Click on Start menu
                    • Settings
                    • Control Panel
                    • System (you may have to switch to "Classic View" to see this)
                    • Hardware
                    • Device Manager
                    • Open up "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
                    • Double click "Primary IDE"
                    • Advance Settings
                    • In "Transfer mode", set to "DMA if available" (do this for both "Device 1" and "Device 2").
                    • Click OK
                    • If you have another entry for "Primary IDE", check there too
                    • Do the same for "Secondary IDE"

I have seen MANY systems where the 2nd device on the primary IDE controller is set to "PIO". That's REALLY slow.

Very nice, I actually thought about doing this.

Do you think it would still be safer to go with a AMD to AMD machine instead of installing on a intel and then going to AMD?

Comment

Originally posted by turbocad6
                      worth a shot with a similar machine... is this a copy that needs to be activated?... there can be issues there as well if it is...
                      MSDN copy from work

Comment

Originally posted by CavityCr33p
                        Do you think it would still be safer to go with a AMD to AMD machine instead of installing on a intel and then going to AMD?
                        An off-the shelf version of XP will use the same processor HAL (Hardware Abstraction Layer) for 32 and 64 bit machines. So it won't make a difference.

If you actually have a copy of XP x64 (which is OEM only, unless you have a full MSDN subscription), then you'll need both machines to have an 64bit processor.

(I just saw your next post)
                        MSDN copy from work
                        Oh... umm, be careful using this in terms of licensing issues, but technically, that version won't run on anything 'cept an AMD.

Comment

It worked flawlessly, no problems at all minus my soundcard having a proprietary volume control panel bypassing windows mixer.

Comment

Originally posted by CavityCr33p
                            It worked flawlessly...
                            Which did? Moving an install between PCs; installing the MSDN x64 version on an AMD; or ???

Comment

although your already done you can (and I suggest) install it on any machine, install all software you want to use, then use sysprep to rollback the install to a generic state, then create an image of the drive, use ghost or similar program to save it on a cd/dvd and make it bootable so you can recover from a crash in minutes from the cd to a freshly installed system. If you've got wireless and can boot to the network you can even create a network boot disk for ghost which will allow you to push the install over the network.. I used to work for a computer OEM and we would install 30-40 machines at once... in about 10 minutes.
                              Sell me your stuff.. please see what i'm looking to buy
                              http://mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=75182

Comment

Working...
                              X