Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with this GE USB hub, what PSU does it have?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with this GE USB hub, what PSU does it have?

Hi all,

Well I have this pretty commmon usb hub from GE, however, PSU is missing. Which is okay because I have 5v PSU in my car.

I searched everywhere and cannot find what power supply is it using. 5v or more? Can someone who has something like this tell me output voltage on their PSU? Thank you very much. I just don't wanna mess it up by putting wrong voltage.

This is what I got:

f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

Bump, I've seen people having this, please help me.
    f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

i have a similar usb hub. i could be wrong, but i dont think it is mean to be externally powered. do you see any inputs for dc power? post some pictures if you are not sure

Comment

If there is a barrel plug/connector for power input, it will be 5V input unless it has internal regulator which I don't think it does.
        2004 Matrix XR A7N8X-VM/400 AMD XP-M 2500+, DS-ATX
        89 Supra Turbo P3 [email protected]/Abit BE6 II, Alpine M-BUS Car2PC.
        Y2K Accord Dell GX150
        RoadRunner is the best FE PERIOD
        EmoRebellion is a SCAMMER

Comment

Yes there's a plug for Power Supply but I can't find any signs for what voltage it should be using.

You all think 5v is what is? What if it's not, am I going to damage the hub?
          f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

every externally powered hub that I have come across so far has taken a 5v input. If it's supposed to supply a max of 500mA per port per the USB 2.0 specs, then that's a max of 2A output. If that hub had a regulator in it that could handle 2 amps, I would be extremely surprised, because that would take up quite a bit of space.

Chances are, even if it did have a regulator in it, you probably wouldn't damage it by applying 5v when it expected 7v or more; it just wouldn't work properly. A linear or switching buck regulator would most likely simply fail to regulate; then the hub would either ignore the external power input and continue to run bus powered, or simply not provide enough voltage on its outputs.

If I were you, I'd just hook 5v up to it and then plug something into it that you don't value too much, just in case... but I wouldn't worry too much.
            But don't take it from me! here's a quote from a real, live newbie:
            Originally posted by Viscouse
            I am learning buttloads just by searching on this forum. I've learned 2 big things so far: 1-it's been done before, and 2-if it hasn't, there is a way to do it.
            eegeek.net

Comment

Thanks, I'll play with it tonight.
              f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

open it, take a detailed photo of both sides of the PCB (detailed enough that I can read the writing on the chips) and I will tell you what voltage you need.

The last powered USB hub i bought didnt work at all, the idiots shipped it with a 5V plug pack, but it has an internal 5V regulator wiht a dropout of about 1.5V.. so the USB ports only had 3.5V on them

The fix was to supply it 7.5V and it works fine.

Comment

Hey, thanks for your help, here some pics attached, please let me know what you think.
                  Attached Files
                  f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

what is the black plastic box on the left side of the first 2 pictures? is that a female connection for a banana plug?

Comment

Yes it is a female connection for power supply.
                      f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

Throw it away and buy a decent hub. I had one of these for 3-4 months and it was nothing but trouble. I experienced lock ups USB devices would fail to show up or would disappear. For a while I thought my gps unit had gone bad. Windows kept detecting it as a new device etc. Adding more power (5 V) did not help. I didn't think to try giving it 7 volts though...

I finally spent a couple of more dollars, bought a belkin hub and I've had no problems since.
                        Carputer installed!!!
                        Nlited XP+Minlogon, EpiaM10k, 512mb, Seagate 40 gig 2.5" HD, FM Dlink usb radio, DWL122 USB Wifi, XMD1000 tuner, PT5071 6 amp regulator, Xenarc 700TSV, and 1 ikea key box.

Comment

I know they're a bit more pricey than some of these other hubs, but I'm running two of these in my car. They can run off of 5vdc and they come with the power adapter, so you can cut the plug and cable off the adapter and wire it directly up to your 5vdc power supply line. I'm utilitzing most of the ports on both and I've never had a problem. They go for $28.99 from NewEgg.

I have GPS, External DVD/CDROM, External mini keyboard, bluetooth adapter, USB sound card, My Laptop Auto Power On Module, a 4 Port Hub, 2 external laptop hard drives (requires 2 usb ports each), and a few other things plugged in to the two 7 port hubs. Never lost a connection or had any issues period.

Comment

what does the text on UI (next to hte DC power socket) say??

Comment

Originally posted by soundoff
                              what does the text on UI (next to hte DC power socket) say??

It says

LD1117
                              A33AQM
                              f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow

Comment

Working...
                              X