Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Few Questions From A Carputer Noob

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A Few Questions From A Carputer Noob

    I recently got really interested in putting a carputer into my silverado when my friend gave me his touch screen monitor. I read about how you can set up relays to have your comp turn on and off with the ignition, but I do not want to have to hassle with the comp everytime I am just running to the store. So is it possible to leave my headunit in and just wire some kind of switch so that I could play music through my comp, or switch over to my regular radio? Also, how bad is it to leave a LCD monitor exposed in my truck during the summer? I read that it can damage them. Thanks.

  • #2
    Originally posted by mrandlet
    I recently got really interested in putting a carputer into my silverado when my friend gave me his touch screen monitor. I read about how you can set up relays to have your comp turn on and off with the ignition, but I do not want to have to hassle with the comp everytime I am just running to the store. So is it possible to leave my headunit in and just wire some kind of switch so that I could play music through my comp, or switch over to my regular radio? Also, how bad is it to leave a LCD monitor exposed in my truck during the summer? I read that it can damage them. Thanks.
    What part of the country are you from? If it's too hot it might affect monitor but I doubt it will. Unles you're in Africa?
    f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
    ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

    Comment


    • #3
      Texas

      Comment


      • #4
        I doubt TX will destroy LCD. What LCD do you have?

        As far as switch, you can certainly design a system with switch, like I did



        My switch works as an addition to intelligent power supply which turns on and off the computer with ignition. I need it for various reasons. For instance if I want to start the car but do not want carputer to start. Or in the winter (NH winters could be real cold) so during some weather conditionso I don't want to start carputer right away.

        If you can m2-atx Power supply you do not really need to hasstle with relay.
        f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
        ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

        Comment


        • #5
          I have a 7" lilliput touch screen. As far as your switch, that would be perfect. When you start your car up with the comp off can you still play cd's or listen to the radio through your regular headunit.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by mrandlet
            I have a 7" lilliput touch screen. As far as your switch, that would be perfect. When you start your car up with the comp off can you still play cd's or listen to the radio through your regular headunit.
            I have LCD in place of OEM radio, so I don't have anything like this in my car anymore. But I am sure you can design yours to wokr your way.
            f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
            ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

            Comment


            • #7
              Allright. Do you know any good sites or anything that I can use for the wiring. Still got some research about the wiring.

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, I am personally against leaving headunit in. So I don't know anything about it firsthand, but there's wealth of info here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=106. Check it out, it's going to take some time to read through it all but it's worth it.
                f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
                ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Ok thanks.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Has anyone else accomplished keeping their headunit in along with the carputer?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by mrandlet
                      Has anyone else accomplished keeping their headunit in along with the carputer?

                      Many of us... take a look in the FAQ and project sections of the site.

                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/faq.php

                      http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=25
                      TruckinMP3
                      D201GLY2, DC-DC power, 3.5 inch SATA

                      Yes, you should search... and Yes, It has been covered before!

                      Read the FAQ!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Check these links:

                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...dunit+carputer

                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...dunit+carputer

                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...dunit+carputer

                        http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...light=headunit
                        f1vlad.com/subaru/sparow
                        ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ 80% progress (sold)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Thanks Again!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by mrandlet
                            Texas
                            you won't have any issues.
                            Jan Bennett
                            FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                            Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by mrandlet
                              Allright. Do you know any good sites or anything that I can use for the wiring. Still got some research about the wiring.
                              what about wiring? buying the wire? how to wire it all up?

                              what?
                              Jan Bennett
                              FS: VW MKIV Bezel for 8" Lilliput - 95% Finished

                              Please post on the forums! Chances are, someone else has or will have the same questions as you!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X