Help: PC MIC+Speakers only via Treo Bluetooth

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help: PC MIC+Speakers only via Treo Bluetooth

I am trying to make it so I can hear a phone call's audio through my carPC's speakers and speak into a visor mounted MIC (connected either to the PC or phone, whichever works best) using bluetooth.

I have a Treo 650 and Belkin Bluetooth USB adapter. I know there is no compatible software like phoco that offers full phone integration, but is this simpler hands-free approach possible?

Oh yeah, the Treo is a Verizon (so no GSM), and my OS is Win XP Pro.

Make sure that you are using the bluetooth drivers that came with the dongle. The windows bluetooth stack does not support the things that you need for the phone to work. The windows stack only supports wireless syncing and maybe some other stuff. The driver that comes with the bluetooth device will let you use it as serial, voice gateway, file push, and a few other things.

I believe that once the drivers are set you should be able to use the pc as a voice gateway or headset.
    Nick - 08 GG Element
    Custom 3D-CAD Design, Reverse Engineering and Fabrication

Comment

I am using the adapter's drivers. It does have profiles like headset and audio gateway, but my phone won't connect to the PC as a headset. There doesn't seam to be an option in the adapter's software to tell the computer to act as a headset, it only wants to look for other headsets that the PC can use.

The treo doesn't support the audio gateway profile natively. There is a program available now that is supposed to make it work with stereo earphones and computer speakers, but I can't get it to work with a computer. Even if I could, that is only speaker sound, what about the MIC for voice pickup?

Should I be using a different Bluetooth adapter? Do you guys know any that can do what I need without much hassle?

Comment

The belkin is one of the more supported adapters out there so you are good. I have a belkin bluetooth adapter and a Cingular Treo 650 so I'll try that with my laptop when I get home.

I know there's an update for the Cingular version that puts the firmware at 1.17. When I did that my bluetooth started working a whole lot better (it would actually connect to my bluetooth headset when I hit the button to answer the phone). Are there any updates for the Verizon version?
        Nick - 08 GG Element

Comment

The latest Verizon firmware is 1.04, which I have.

Comment

I just finished playing around with it. My Treo 650 does not show up as a voice gateway nor does the phone see the computer as more than a file transfer and serial port. When I try this with my Sony Ericcson T637 I can see the computer as a voice gateway and when I enable that the computer (with microphone and speakers) acts as a headset for the phone. It was almost automatic with the Sony phone and I can't get the Treo to do much more than send files back and forth.
            Nick - 08 GG Element

Comment

iK632 did you ever get this working? I was able to get the computer to pick up the calls but I wasn't able to get the voice to come out of my computer. I could also speak into the mike but it was giving feedback. I haven't done much with it but I may play around with it again. Let me know if you were able to get this working.

I'm using the Belkin BT also with Treo 700W on Verizon.

PROGRESS 95%[//////////]Complete - Software configurations
              Current Task: Just adding on...
              Needed:wireless keyboard/mouse
              My Carputer Blog
              Car System Site

Comment

Got this working but the echo makes it unusable!

My Carputer Blog
                Car System Site

Comment

How did you get it to work? What kind of echo are you talking about? From what?

Comment

Configured the audio gateway and setup my bluetooth for it. The other person ears an echo. It's because the voices are coming through the speakers in the car which bounces back to the person on the phone thus creating an echo. You need an echo canceling mike to make this usable.

My Carputer Blog
                    Car System Site

Comment

Can you be more specific? What BT adapter and profile did you use on your computer? Is the mic connected to the computer or Treo?

Are you talking about the audio gateway software for the Treo, because I could never get it to work with my Belkin BT adapter.

Comment

I use this bluetooth http://us.kensington.com/html/9403.html and I used the Audio Gateway that comes with that software. The mic is connected to the computer (it's all part of my carpc setup). The voice comes out of my speakers because the PC is setup to use my car speakers so I can listen to my MP3 music as well.

I didn't use the audio gateway for Treo; I wasn't even aware there was such as option.

All I did was install the software that came with the BT adapter and then discover my Treo. I'm using Treo 700w BTW. Hope this helps.

My Carputer Blog
                        Car System Site

Comment

I played around with this some more using the microphone and speakers in my laptop and so far I've only tried the Sony with the audio gateway. When I tried to connect with the Treo 650 the Treo gave me grief and locked up. I resolved that because it was the mOcean audio software that I had that for some unknown reason was making the phone lockup whenever I tried to use bluetooth (connection to pc or headset). After uninstalling it I was able to use my bluetooth headset again, but I haven't tried it with the laptop.

There was no echo when using the built in microphone but when I plugged in my "el cheapo" microphone I got it to echo. I think the microphone in the laptop is uni-directional where the other one I have is omnidirectional and picks up the sound from the speakers.
                          Nick - 08 GG Element

Comment

Working...
                          X