X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB hub problem always disconnecting / connecting

Ok..
    ive got a USB problem..

i have many devices that work on usb, and all seem to work fine when connected to the individual lines..
    however when connected to a USB hub, everything connected to the hub disconnects momentarily (and that sound comes up).. then it connects again (sound plays)...

i thought it was the USB hub being a dodgy one, so i replaced the hub with a NEC 7 port USB 2.0 hub that is powered off the 5v rail from the computer molex plug....and guess what... i still get that disconnecting / connecting problem...
    the power supply is fine, and tested, works with other things too, so i dont think thats my problem.

i recently re-wired all new usb lines in order to fix the problem, with no luck, they are 3m long (10 foot).. and they are shielded..

i only use 3 things on the usb hub, and ive tried trial and error to find the device thats causing the problem.. and they all do...

next.. i re-installed the computer, from fresh.. and installed nothing but these devices (usb remote, my k750 usb cable, usb thumb drive), plus the touch screen and road runner.. and i STILL get the problem!!!!

i dont know what else to check..
    its either my motherboard?.. doubt it.. or windows xp sp2?....

what can i try?
    Current Setup - (as per PC specs on the left)
    Future Setup - Commell LV-677, Dual Core2Duo 1.86ghz, 1gb ram, M2-ATX, Morex Mini-ITX case, Transflective screen

I am having the same issues. I have a dlink 7port 5v hub. My hub will disconnect but won't reconnect unless i unplug and plug it back in. Not sure if this is a drivers problem or just a defective hub. If anyone knows, that would be great.

Comment

that has just happened to me last night.. i got out of the car.. opened the boot and re-connected it.. it worked for 5 mins then began the disconnecting / connecting crap!

ive tried a 4port hub, powered, unpowered, and now this NEC 7port

how annoying is it!
      Current Setup - (as per PC specs on the left)
      Future Setup - Commell LV-677, Dual Core2Duo 1.86ghz, 1gb ram, M2-ATX, Morex Mini-ITX case, Transflective screen

Comment

Old problem still not solved?

Did you solve it?

I have problems of a similar kind. I do not get connect/disconnect. I get "cannot start device" and "unknowndevice" depending on what hub I use. I have tried two identical ones, and a second type. None of the three gave me problem at home.

All are active, and I supply them with 5V from a separate DCL11 DC/DC converter.
        [media]http://web.comhem.se/bengt-olof.swing/DVD_Power.jpg[/media]

I have tried to use them as passive hubs without connecting the power and without grounding any part but no change.

If I connect directly to my Commell LV-679D it works, even the USB DVD in the dash with a 5m USB wire. I run winXP.
        My car installation mp3car thread "showing off project"

Comment

Similar problem here but only since I relocated my computer from the back of my seat to the floor. Now when I play with the molex connector, I get the dinging noise and sometimes my screen will be a shade of pink or blue until I restart. I swapped my hard drive and touchscreen to their opposite molex connectors and it's only happened once since then......that was 2 weeks ago.
          Ampie Case
          2.5" Hard Drive 80GB Samsung 5400RPM
          256 MB DDR2 PC5400
          Xenarc 700TSV - VGA Monitor
          Intel D945GCLF Motherboard
          M2-ATX-HV

2005 Honda Civic

Comment

What connectors are you talking about, Maheriano? Power supply harness?

Problem I see is USB only.

I have a standard USB cable, I disconnect and insert the hub as a chain. Without hub it works, with hub inserted it doesn't. And I've tried 3 hubs and with or without external power to hub.

Very strange---

Comment

My USB hub problems were solved by

1. only using 4 port hubs (less power draw) and
              2. on standby, cutting both external AND bus power using a relay to intercept the power signal in the USB cable.
              3. having a single ground point for all power supplies (this takes some time to work out, but ground distribution blocks are very helpful)

Comment

Thanks

I think you are onto something with the power supply. I have 3 potential providers of 5V. The PC and the two DC/DC converters I have for the active hub's and the USB DVD drive that require 2A...

I guess that is the only thing I can try. Investigate my wireing.

Comment

Sorted the power. It turnes out that the problem relates to which USB port I use!

I use all comell 679D eight USB ports, and some work fine with all hubs, some work without hub and some does not work with hub but with some devices!

So nothing wrong with power, devices or hubs. And probalbly not driver. Its the mobo! (M2-ATX 160W power supply)

I have emailed support. I'll let you know.

Comment

Touchscreens arent meant to be connected to USB hubs. Buy a USB extension cable and connect from the USB root hub (from mobo).

Comment

Originally posted by fire View Post
                      Ok..
                      ive got a USB problem..

i have many devices that work on usb, and all seem to work fine when connected to the individual lines..
                      however when connected to a USB hub, everything connected to the hub disconnects momentarily (and that sound comes up).. then it connects again (sound plays)...

i thought it was the USB hub being a dodgy one, so i replaced the hub with a NEC 7 port USB 2.0 hub that is powered off the 5v rail from the computer molex plug....and guess what... i still get that disconnecting / connecting problem...
                      the power supply is fine, and tested, works with other things too, so i dont think thats my problem.

i recently re-wired all new usb lines in order to fix the problem, with no luck, they are 3m long (10 foot).. and they are shielded..

i only use 3 things on the usb hub, and ive tried trial and error to find the device thats causing the problem.. and they all do...

next.. i re-installed the computer, from fresh.. and installed nothing but these devices (usb remote, my k750 usb cable, usb thumb drive), plus the touch screen and road runner.. and i STILL get the problem!!!!

i dont know what else to check..
                      its either my motherboard?.. doubt it.. or windows xp sp2?....

what can i try?
                      Hello!

I have the same problem exactly, and I am DESPERATE!!

I don't find a solution, I cannot fix the problem. I have rewired all usb cables, tested different hubs, updated my windows xp to the service pack 3 and updated all the drivers until the end, but no way, nothing works, in an absolutely random way the hub is connected and disconnect...

Please, help!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X