Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holux GPS NMEA reciever Group-buy?

Hi Guys,

I would like to know if others are interested in the Holux GPS reciever (12-channel). It comes in USB/SERIAL interfaces, it has great refresh rates like the more expensive Garmin. It's $99... but im sure we can get that price down with additional parties interested... they dont work with XP tho...

Btw its from the gps store... here is a link..

Click

ViC
    2001 PT Cruiser "BLK ICE"
    http://www.cobaltcarpc.com

count me in
    abcd-1
    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

Count me in too...

*edit*

I want a USB one if it matters
      I've got a new car, but this one doesn't have a carputer. Definately a situation to be rectified. Sell me a DWW-700M!

Comment

http://reflet.campus.ecp.fr/~souchal...0-Manual-E.pdf

not in just curious
        [SIZE=1]'91 Nissan Stanza

[XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX] XX% Completed -
        Car Totaled and i bought a 20G mp3 player

http://machs-fuel.tk
        a DIY video projector page

Comment

Thats the one... thanks for posting the manual...

glad to see we have interest... ill let some more time pass so others may reply.

Comment

anyone know why this doesnt work with winblows xp?
            "if everything is under control, you're not going fast enough!"

Comment

I got this reciever. Im my opinion...it sucks.

I tried it on two different machines, three different software titles.

I got the USB version. I tried it on a windows 98 machine with M$ S&T, Delorme street atlas, and Delorme street atlas deluxe. Also tried same combo's on a windows 2000 machine.

It could get raw data from it using the little program it has, and a little data from Delorme. It WOULD NOT LOCK. Usually timed out.

I don't know, I may have gotten a bad apple, but that's just my exprience. Good luck guys.

I now have a Delorme Earthmate and love it. It may not be NMEA compliant, but it's protocol works great with Delorme SW. It locks with at least 4-5 sats. in under 30 seconds usually. I have it inside my trunk and it still works fine. I've tested it in downtown pittsburgh and it held its lock even with all the buildings.
              My Install Thread
              digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
              How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Originally posted by etrik
                anyone know why this doesnt work with winblows xp?
                Id wager the usb version doesnt have any drivers to emulate a serial port for winxp. serial should work fine under any os (just dependant on the software).
                -Nick

Comment

Hmm... perhaps we should find a review for the Holux gps unit before we proceed... I will try to find one

www.holux.com.tw is their website...

Comment

usb is still the devil to me (i still use a serial mouse on one machine ). so id opt for serial, and i am interested, i just want to see what a review of the their serial unit turns up.
                    -Nick

Comment

I bought one - it simply sucks. It will not work with CoPilot 2002. In fact, mine won't even work with NMEA standard!

It comes with a 1/2 way written software that will read its on code and is supposed to allow you to switch to NMEA standard (I can't get it to work).

I put more time into trying to get the damn thing to work than it cost. I give up, I'm buying a garmin.

If someone wants a headache I'll sell my holux to them...you don't want it.
                      ----
                      BMW Speed Freak
                      7" Redant, ATI AIW, IR, SB Audigy, 1600watts
                      325hp Supercharged Straight Six
                      http://www.end2endintegration.com

Comment

Ok guys... i know what we can do...

How about a handheld gps? like a Magellen 310 or a Garmin eTrex? They are $99 and $114 respectively... so around the same price as a bare reciever... but they work as a standalone unit too! They have 12channel reception... and since they're by big brand companies... they must be awesome! Ive checked reviews on both Magellen and eTrex... nothing but praise.

Both these handheld gps units are pc interfaceable... infact thats what they were designed for... use with PC mapping software via NMEA. They also work standalone, 20hrs operation on 2 AA batts! Waterproof and it floats... heh

Makes me wonder why i didnt consider this earlier?

If you want details... thegpsstore.com has details on both models...

we can squeeze a better price out of these guys...

ViC

Comment

Originally posted by BMW Speed Freak
                          I bought one - it simply sucks. It will not work with CoPilot 2002. In fact, mine won't even work with NMEA standard!

It comes with a 1/2 way written software that will read its on code and is supposed to allow you to switch to NMEA standard (I can't get it to work).

I put more time into trying to get the damn thing to work than it cost. I give up, I'm buying a garmin.

If someone wants a headache I'll sell my holux to them...you don't want it.

ooohooohh...after reading that first line, count me out.... sorry folks, but it think i will stick with my RandMcnally GPS...
                          abcd-1
                          Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
                          You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Comment

I finally got ****ed off enough tonight to email thegpsstore.com. I will post their reply as soon as I get it. The holux is simply a *****ty unfinished product that I got suckered into for the price. Go figure.
                            ----
                            BMW Speed Freak
                            7" Redant, ATI AIW, IR, SB Audigy, 1600watts
                            325hp Supercharged Straight Six
                            http://www.end2endintegration.com

Comment

Originally posted by BMW Speed Freak
                              I finally got ****ed off enough tonight to email thegpsstore.com. I will post their reply as soon as I get it. The holux is simply a *****ty unfinished product that I got suckered into for the price. Go figure.
                              EXACTLY.... I thought it was just me.

Read my review (in this thread) as well. I'm sending mine back TODAY!

Ok guys... i know what we can do...

How about a handheld gps? like a Magellen 310 or a Garmin eTrex? They are $99 and $114 respectively... so around the same price as a bare reciever... but they work as a standalone unit too! They have 12channel reception... and since they're by big brand companies... they must be awesome! Ive checked reviews on both Magellen and eTrex... nothing but praise.

Both these handheld gps units are pc interfaceable... infact thats what they were designed for... use with PC mapping software via NMEA. They also work standalone, 20hrs operation on 2 AA batts! Waterproof and it floats... heh

Makes me wonder why i didnt consider this earlier?

If you want details... thegpsstore.com has details on both models...

we can squeeze a better price out of these guys...

ViC
                              I've thought about this option too, but then you have to buy the PC interface cable for $35.00! Also they are bigger/bulky and don't have on-screen mapping if you plan to use it as a standalone unit.

I finally went with a Eathmate for $119 that came with awesome mapping software.
                              My Install Thread
                              digitaljetta.com

MKIV VW Jetta
                              How do I get sound to my car?

Comment

Working...
                              X