SBC #2....please READ!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SBC #2....please READ!

Ok as some of u already know the WAFER-7850 with its daughter board (tvout) is just amazing and tiny. only 3 1/2"...anyway i couldnt get the tv-out working. i suspect it is the tvout board that is bad... To make a long story short, i had the tech guy on the phone with me blah blah blah... Anyway i told the sales guy that i need another wafer board with the tvout AND also the
    NOVA-7892 so i can test and decide which one i want. He agred and i should have it in the morning. Now here is my delima... I have a feeling both of these board will work fine and will play DVD just fine. If you were in my shoe(s), which one of these BOARD will u choose

BTW the nova-7892 is 5.25" size and the wafer is 3.5".

Please give me pros/cons so i can make up my mind by 12pm 2morrow... thank. I will be looking forward to each and everyones response.
    abcd-1
    Author of CobraI,II,III and now CobraIV.
    You can contact me on AOL instant messenger....nick is cenwesi or cenwesi3

Are they making you pay for both of them?

Comment

WAFER-7850 only 3.5" PRO
      no pci slot addon - CON

NOVA-7892 bigger at 5.25" CON
      has pci slot and tv out - PRO

Honestly..I'd be flipping a coin here...actually no i lie..I'd be taking the wafer-7850..just for smaller size..the only thing i need a pci slot for is for tv tuner and I'd just add a usb or factory one with diversity antenna. The function wouldn't work in C4 if i used the factory one..but oh well...
      Technology, Gadgets and Making Money Online
      http://www.genemills.ca

Comment

I noticed the nova board has a CF reader, does this mean you can boot from the cf card? Is this board designed for super fast boot-up times? I think I would probably have to choose the nova card just because of the extra pci and built on tvout. I can deal with the extra size
        sv24, 733mhz celeron, 80gig hd, 5.6" MA Audio tft, x10 remote, RF Keyboard.

Comment

Wafer has an advantage in size.
          Nova has an advantage in expandability, features.

PC/104 expansion slot...
          PCI slot...
          onboard TVout...
          2 USB ports...

If you worried about din size... you can still achieve that goal... both mobo's are the same "height"... and the width of 5.75" is still less than the 7" DIN width. Your casing will have to be 2hx7wx8d". and there is no DIN standard depth. Uits come in different depths.

You need to figure out whats more important to ya

2001 PT Cruiser "BLK ICE"
          http://www.cobaltcarpc.com

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyLittle
            Are they making you pay for both of them?
            Nope...they wont bill me till 30days until i make up my mind
            abcd-1

Comment

Originally posted by B3AND1P
              I noticed the nova board has a CF reader, does this mean you can boot from the cf card? Is this board designed for super fast boot-up times? I think I would probably have to choose the nova card just because of the extra pci and built on tvout. I can deal with the extra size
              Both of those board has CF and i blieve u can boot from them....I also plan on getting those IBM microdrive as soon as the price comes down... can u imagine booting from it
              abcd-1

Comment

Originally posted by vickumar
                Wafer has an advantage in size.
                Nova has an advantage in expandability, features.

PC/104 expansion slot...
                PCI slot...
                onboard TVout...
                2 USB ports...

If you worried about din size... you can still achieve that goal... both mobo's are the same "height"... and the width of 5.75" is still less than the 7" DIN width. Your casing will have to be 2hx7wx8d". and there is no DIN standard depth. Uits come in different depths.

You need to figure out whats more important to ya

Yeayh i blieve anyone (*cough*) can easily fit the 5.25" into a DIN size case....
                abcd-1

Comment

well folks....in about 1hr i will be getting these boards... no one has still giving me a definite answer
                  abcd-1

Comment

well how bout you send us the two board's so we can have a play then make up a definate decision
                    http://www.mp3vl.tk Plans and progress on my install - (Updated 28 June 02)
                    Australian mp3car Portal
                    mp3car related links Check them out / Add some
                    mp3car FAQ - RTFF

[########==]80% Assembling
                    -=Current Progress: Working Sproggy supply, building box.=-

Comment

After trying to stuff everything into my new mini computer, I would recommend getting the absolute smallest board you can!!!! It gets really tight in my case with cables going everywhere and mine isnt even din... By the way, I think I read somewhere that boot time from CF slot is slower but I could be wrong!
                      1999 voyager pontoon boat
                      (soon to be computerized)

Comment

I would imagine that both board will handle DVD decoding equally well, since both are letting the CPU handle the decoding. While having a PCI slot is nice, it would be hard to use the PCI slot since you're going for a DIN sized case. TV out performance will make your decision easier, since I've found that the quality of TV out can change dramatically from one card to another. Overall, I think you'll have an easier time making the DIN sized case if you go with the smaller board.
                        For me, the biggest selling feature of the larger NOVA board is the LCD interface (looking at the specs for the WAFFER, it dosen't seem to have this built in. Even though you're looking at using NTSC right now, it woul dbe great to be able to add a VGA LCD later. With the NOVA card, you have both flat panel and TV out, so you could use a VGA LCD in the car and still have the TV out fro when you bring the player inside. Nothing beats VGA displays, especially if yoiu're going to be using somehting like GPS where the fonts are small.
                        What is the cost difference between the 2 boards?

Comment

But with the pci he could always use a riser card and still keep it flat...Heck with it...Take the Nova Board abcd-1..!!! Go!!
                          Technology, Gadgets and Making Money Online
                          http://www.genemills.ca

Comment

Here's my take...

You want the smallest board with a tv-out......you don't really care about expandability with pci slot....so you have already answered your question.....

WAFER!!, as long as the tv out quality is good!!

Hope that helps.
                            Let us know about your project as it comes along.

Grant

Comment

Heh, Id love to have either But if you're going for a din sized application as you are, the pci is going to be pretty hard to use. it'd have to clear the ram and the hsf, which would put it (maybe past) the upper bounds of the case. also, as far as micro drives go, some linked this on the thread somewhere (i read all new posts once a day ). http://www.iomega.com/direct/product...=1019580269069
                              340mb iomega microdrive for $67. Should be plentybig for win95/98.
                              -Nick

Comment

Working...
                              X