when do I need an amplifier?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when do I need an amplifier?

I have toyota Camry 98 model and the two rear 6x9 speakers are not working, and i am willing to replace them with 320 watts 6x9 4-way power Acoustik speakers. (I think the old and the new are 4 Ohms impedance)

What is mentioned on the Toyota speakers are 15 watts, but I don't know shall i proceed and install those 320W speakers on my car system or do i need an amplifier, some people told u may damage ur CD player if u put more than it can handle? what do you think guys.

Do these new Power Acoustik 320W 6x9 4 Way Speakers NR has an inrernal amplifier?

Any clues, I need an answer as I am really missing the fun my car audio.

Dani

no they dont have an internal amp, no they probably wont hurt anything if you hook them up to the stock deck but they will defintely sound like crap and if you turn it up too loud it will distort the sound like no other and eventually blow the speakers. so if your going to get something that can handle that much power, if its in the budget, get a nice amp for them and it will sound golden

Comment

hear this about that.. I get similar questions all the time about speakers. The "power rating" of speakers on the box is in such big bold leters because it is a selling point. while many speakers can handle hundreds of watts, they will not take any more than the cd player is giving them, and if indeed you put 320 watts to these speakers you would likely go deaf. ordinarily, full range speakers only use a few watts. Turn up the volume, and your cd player puts out a higher wattage, but certinally not 320.
      There are a lot of things to consider about replacing speakers, that being said. Factory speakers are designed to work best with your factory deck, and depending on the setup, aftermarket speakers will work fine. the rare exception is the GM Bose system, witch is all f'd up. almost all aftermarket speakers wont have the bass response you are used to with your factory, but to make up for it your highs will no longer be in the mud, depending on what speaker you get. Most of the time, to get that bass response back the way you want, add a sub. If you dont want thumping and just want decent sound, a single 10 will do, and more so from there as you feel necisary.

Ok, now the meat of the question... amplification
      I use a 4ch 300w amplifier in my Camaro along with a 2ch 550w amp for the subs. The 4ch has more power availble to play, but the main advantage of an amp is for the clarity of sound. An aftermarket amplifiers systems are much beefier than any cd player (look at the physical size they have to work with compaired to 1/4 of your cd player). This is part of the reason they can deliver more power. More power doesnt always mean it will always be loud, either. you can play it as softly as you want, but by having a decent amplifier you dont have to push it to the limits, causing distortion..

Hope that helps, and mabee if others read it they will learn something as well
      The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

Comment

I replaced the speakers But........

Guys,

I replaced the speakers But I still have noise in my rear right speaker only. If I raise the volume the noise I can not hear the noise any more, but I don't know to fix this noise on that speaker, it was the same before in the old speakers, so it is not from the speakers.

If i disconnect the rear right speaker, no noise at all, if i make the volume minimum or maximum, the noise level is the same, it goes away if i turn off the radio.

How can fix this? is it the unit malfunction? I am not sure if Toyota camry 98 model has any amplifier in it.

Any one has any solution? how can i kill this static or noise.

Dani

Comment

When you changed the speakers, did you run new cabling too? The 9 year old wires could be bare somewhere and rubbing against a ground somewhere.
          Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
          1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
          30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
          15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
          Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

How can I know....

How can I know that they are the wires not the Radio device?

Comment

Originally posted by Danix4u View Post
              How can I know that they are the wires not the Radio device?
              What? I don't get it.

What I am trying to ask is when you replaced your speakers, did you run new wires from the PC/HU to them?
              Fusion Brain Version 6 Released!
              1.9in x 2.9in -- 47mm x 73mm
              30 Digital Outputs -- Directly drive a relay
              15 Analogue Inputs -- Read sensors like temperature, light, distance, acceleration, and more
              Buy now in the MP3Car.com Store

Comment

might not matter since you already bought the speakers but something that confuses the crap out of people all the time is that:

you are MORE likly to blow your speakers with a underpowered amp.

its not the other way around. having an hugly powerful amp wont blow speakers as often as a smaller less powerful amp.

reasoning goes like this: with a small amp if you push the volume to high the amp clips. this create a squarewave effect. square waves are DC power. DC power cooks voice coils.

with a hugely powerful amp even if you turn it way up the amp wont clip, no square waves no DC no blown speakers. obviously you can blow low power speakers with a big amp but its harder then you might think.

small amps kill big speakers

Comment

I also have a 2000 civic si and was wondering if just replacing speakers will give it good Bass and clarity, no rattle or wat sounds.
                  Wazzzzup? Visit my site for News, Forum, Download of music and movies and watever else at pawelwebsite.com

Comment

I have only changed the speakers, but i don't know if it is the wiring or the Radio device. how can i know? the service guy who installed the speakers told me to replace the Radio device. I am not sure, am afraid to replace it and then the same story.

Dani

Comment

i recently just bought somer new alpines to replace the stock speakers in my 1996 volvo 850. i got Alpine SPR-69C 6X9s(2-100 watts RMS, 300 watts peak power) for my rear deck and Alpine SPS-400 4"s(2-45 watts RMS,140 watts peak power) for my front and rear doors. i also purchased baffles to install with all of them in hopes of getting a little more umph out of them. i plan to run them off of my Pioneer DEH-P5000UB that puts out 14watts with a peak of 50watts. i really dont know anything about car audio and was wondering if i should consider buying an amp to power my new speakers? also, if i dont, what are my speakers going to sound like? suggestions are appreciated.

TIA James

Comment

Originally posted by jamesfredette View Post
                        i recently just bought somer new alpines to replace the stock speakers in my 1996 volvo 850. i got Alpine SPR-69C 6X9s(2-100 watts RMS, 300 watts peak power) for my rear deck and Alpine SPS-400 4"s(2-45 watts RMS,140 watts peak power) for my front and rear doors. i also purchased baffles to install with all of them in hopes of getting a little more umph out of them. i plan to run them off of my Pioneer DEH-P5000UB that puts out 14watts with a peak of 50watts. i really dont know anything about car audio and was wondering if i should consider buying an amp to power my new speakers? also, if i dont, what are my speakers going to sound like? suggestions are appreciated.

TIA James
                        I'd suggest you buy an amp to power your new speakers. Perhaps get two amps: one two-channel amp for the 6x9s and one four-channel amp for the door speakers. The reason I suggest two amps is because the power rating for your door speakers is not the same as the power rating for your rear deck speakers.

Hope this helps
                        2007 Camry Altise In-dash Car PC

Comment

Working...
                        X