Dont want USB power in stand-by

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont want USB power in stand-by

well it seems like everyone wants to have power to there usb devices during standby but i have the problem of having my battery die every night when i send the computer to standby. my 7 port usb hub stays on when in standby along with my wifi, bt, gps, uirt, and kb. my hub is powered via a 5v POL and the POL is switched on and off using the 12v+ from the computer, thus computer off - POL off - usb hub off. well thats not the case because the usb hub is automatically switching over to bus power. i dont have a switch on the hub to prevent that. So... how can i shut off the on board usb ports when the computer goes to standby?

a little info: i have a via MII 12000 mobo, D-link hub, win xp SP2. i am set for S3 standby and have disabled all usb "wake up" settings.
    If its not broken, take it apart anyway to see how it works!

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
    Progress [########O#] 90% - All but ODBII working!

[Old Projects]
    2000 Saturn SC2 - 100%
    2000 Sebring JXi - 90% - Dash mod went bad, sold car.

what power supply are you using?

Comment

m1atx

i was really hopeing there was an easier way to shut it off rather than splice into the USB cable its self and put a relay inline of the 5v wire and attach the other end of the relay to the 12V from the pc.

[Old Projects]
      2000 Saturn SC2 - 100%

Comment

to stop the hub taking usb bus power then hack the cable and cut the 5V power lead. (pinouts for USB are in a sticky in one of the hardware sections but i cant remember which or you can google them easy enough).

YOur other solution is to not use standby and kill all power to the PC as even in standby the bus will be powered, as will other cuircuits and standby will always kill your battery eventually. I did post another circuit on digital car for Edrex on here as he was having trouble with his Optima going dead in standby.

here are a few threads that may give you inspiration but have a search for yourself and see if you can dig anything up more specific to your situation:

the daddy of all usb power threads: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24507

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show...ight=usb+power

I only have knowledge of the 1st thread, i just grabbed the others off a search. they may not be relevant but they may give you some background and help with ideas.

Comment

Originally posted by linkyone View Post
          m1atx

i was really hopeing there was an easier way to shut it off rather than splice into the USB cable its self and put a relay inline of the 5v wire and attach the other end of the relay to the 12V from the pc.
          If you have an M1-atx you can use hibernate and make the PC go into hardoff. that will draw no power when off and not kill your battery.

If you really want to use standby and your battery can take it as long as there is no USB draw then power the hub off the 5V (red and adjacent black) off one of the M1-ATX molex connectors (HDD power leads) and use a ahcked usb cable to the hub with the 5V line cut.

The M1 will ONLY provide power to th mobo over the 5Vsb lead in the ATX connector when in S3 and this is what is keeping your usb bus awake. There is no way to kill that power and retain standby as it is needed to power the ram that stores the standby data. If you use hibernate boot will be longer but the PC can be completely shut down.

Comment

Hey thank for the quick answers! I guess i will be cutting the cable and doing the relay thing! thanks!

[Old Projects]
            2000 Saturn SC2 - 100%

Comment

you dont need a relay.

as i said the m1 will not put out power on the 5V molex when in S3. all you need to do is have the hub switched to extrernal power, wire it up to the molex and then cut the 5v leading to the hub from the motherboard.

job done.

Comment

Or you could just use stand by during the day let the system hibernate at night. It does take a bit to boot that way but it just seems more effective.

Comment

Originally posted by dephyre View Post
                  Or you could just use stand by during the day let the system hibernate at night. It does take a bit to boot that way but it just seems more effective.
                  but that requires manually selcting hibernate or standby. something the whole idea of advanced dc-dc psu's are there to stop you having to do. I would seriosuly look intousing hibernate and the hard off option and save your car battery. if you are worried about the boot up time then set your PC to come on with the central locking but then you will boot up the PC even if you just pop out to the car for something.

Comment

Working...
                  X