Max HD size?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Max HD size?

I have a 200 Mhz MMX Dell system, and am running WIN 95.

What is the max size HD I can have? I heard for some 200 mhz systems it is 8 gig, but is this true about the mmx systems? How can I tell?

If I buy a 10 gig hard drive, and it in fact does only allow 8 gigs, Will it only see 8 gigs of it or will it not work altogether?

Sorry I did a search on this, came up with nothin...

Grand AMplifier Project 1.0:
    http://drive.to/cliffsgrandamgt/
    http://www.astallaslions.com/carmp3/
    --------------------------------
    -Eden 800 mini-itx motherboard
    -5.6 NTSC TFT-LCD
    -80 gig hard drive
    -128 MB RAM
    -MPBS1 DC-DC PSU
    -PB Remote /w Girder
    -Media Engine & Windows XP
    -Playstation II also added
    -Steering Wheel Buttons modified for Control.

if your mobo would only support the 8 gigs that is what your HD would show up as. I wouldn't believe that it would not work entirely. The biggest HD size all depends upon your BIOS. if you look in the bios setup you may be able to find the max number of cylinders, heads, and sectors. This would alow you to calculate the max size of the HD. Other than that the only info that I could give is that the max HD size could be either 2.1, 7.8, or 13.2 gig.
    I had a 12 gig in an old Compaq Presario that I had. It was a 233MMX system that I bought in '98

Also check out del's website. it may be listed in an FAQ or tech forum for your computer.

Comment

There is always a way around the max size for a HD, either by flashing the BIOS or running BIOS software (Maxtor's software comes to mind).
      http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
      Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

Heh, there may always be a way to get around the bios with software, but you cant get around the physical limitation of the hardware and the 24-bit lba (137gb limit). If you cant get the motherboard method to work, you can always pick up an extra pci ata controller for cheap (~$20) online.
        -Nick

Comment

This is a very picky topic. I have 3 motherboards, a Gateway 200mmx, a Compaq 233mmx and a Compaq Pii 233mmx along with a 20 gig HD. On the gateway I had to update the Bios, on the 233 PI mmx I had to do nothing, but then on the PII 233mmx, I had to recreate a diag. partition and then update the BIOS before it would word. I would stay away from the HD software, as it adds time to bootup, and it can cause problems if your system crashes and you need to get in to work on some things.

Comment

hmm, so basically I need a bios upgrade if a 10 gig don't work. Are bios upgrades possible through software or do I need to actually update the firmware physically somehow?

-5.6 NTSC TFT-LCD
            -80 gig hard drive
            -128 MB RAM
            -MPBS1 DC-DC PSU
            -PB Remote /w Girder

Comment

Just go to Dells website and enter your service tag in the supprt section. It should show all the updates availible the download the most recent BIOS upgrade. The program will have you make a floppy disk with the flash program on it that you access from DOS (just read the txt file that comes with it).
              http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/Maveric/ M.A.V.I.C. System
              Asus MB, PII 266, 192 MB Ram, 6.8" LCD, 6 Disk CD-ROM, 21 Gig HD, All-in-Wonder Video w/ TV Tuner, Irman, Windows ME, Winamp, Cobra III -- All in a custom acrylic case.

http://www.mp3car.com/usersites/listings/ MP3car Listings - Please add to it! :)

Comment

or.....run two hard drives. I have a 2.8GB HD running the operating system and some back up music, Then a 40 GB HD which only has music on it and is on a removable sleave. My MOBO shows the 40 when it's in slave but WILL NOT recognise it as a master, so i just use the small 2.1 as the Master and the 40 as slave.
                Works for me and if you got room in your box for 2 drives and have a small drive lying around it might help you out.
                GTI - Palm IIIe controlled with Radio faceplate hack for keyboard control of WinAmp w/ Vocal Genre playlist loading.
                VW Bus - 10.4" vga lcd. Loaded with same software as above.

Comment

This depends on a lot of things, mostly BIOS and chipset. There is no way for me to guess based on the fact that you didn't mentin what motherboard you have...However, if you have a VX chipset, that motherboard will NOT see larger than 8.4Gig. This is a limit in the chipset, which cannot be raised via BIOS upgrades. If your BIOS or chipset limits the size of HD you can have, you can always install a PIC IDE controller to circumvent this. Don't use an overlay, they are a tool of the devil (ie. Bill Gates).
                  Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                  Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                  "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

My computer is old school and came with win98 and will only allow 8 gig drive...or will it.

I loaded win98 on a 2 gig drive, and ghosted it to a 20 gig drive, made that partition about 4 gigs and made the rest a 13 gig partition.

The computer wouldn't boot, so I entered bios setup and manually entered the first number 4096, then 11, 63.

(if the 4096 doesn't work, then use something smaller)...I don't have drive overlay software installed either.

I don't have the info in front of me, but I think it is cylinders, heads, sectors.

Normal is 11 and 63 for this computer ( I assume the same for all)

it happily booted with that setting, and I have full access to the main partition and the 13 gig partition.

So try something like that. You are basically lying to the bios and letting win98 play with the drive to make it work.
                    current projects

Comment

Originally posted by Aaron Cake
                      This depends on a lot of things, mostly BIOS and chipset. There is no way for me to guess based on the fact that you didn't mentin what motherboard you have...However, if you have a VX chipset, that motherboard will NOT see larger than 8.4Gig. This is a limit in the chipset, which cannot be raised via BIOS upgrades. If your BIOS or chipset limits the size of HD you can have, you can always install a PIC IDE controller to circumvent this. Don't use an overlay, they are a tool of the devil (ie. Bill Gates).
                      Well I didn't mention what motherboard I have cause I don't know. It's the one that came in the 200 mmx dell's hheehh =)

I'm going to find all this information and try to work something out. If I need a PIC IDE controller, where do I get one?

Also, while I have this thread active I might as well ask: Is it safe to keep an open box in the trunk? I have the cover of my casing off to get more air to the hardware, so basically its the frame with all the hardware exposed. Seems to be working nicely so far, just wondering if it was ok.

-5.6 NTSC TFT-LCD
                      -80 gig hard drive
                      -128 MB RAM
                      -MPBS1 DC-DC PSU
                      -PB Remote /w Girder

Comment

The only concern that I'd have is something bouncing around inside the car that would break something inside the computer. If you did leave it open I'd try to cover it with some light cloth or a mesh screen of some type.

Comment

leave open?

I will be leaving my motherboard in this cubby in my durango, and will have fans to work with the setup.

A case is designed how it is to increase airflow withj the help of the case fans and such. If you leave open one part of the case the airflow is actually less unless you have other means to cool.

Concept.

Drive down the highway with one window open. You get air, and you can get cooled down.

Drive down the highway with window down on each side of the vehiclke. The air will flow through the truck. Same thing...if you keep your case closed the air will flow through the vents the case provides and cool it better.

Like I said, I am not using a case all because of my setup. In the back of my durango I have a cubby in the floor that is a complete finsihed cargo area. It actually has vents going down into it. I will be installing fans on each side of the cubby...one sucking air into the chamber and one pushing it out.

I will post pics soon

Comment

Hmm, interesting concepts, but having the casing on does make it ALOT bigger...hmm.maybe I'll wrap it in something..

-5.6 NTSC TFT-LCD
                            -80 gig hard drive
                            -128 MB RAM
                            -MPBS1 DC-DC PSU
                            -PB Remote /w Girder

Comment

PCI IDE controllers are available from any computer shop.
                              Player: Pentium 166MMX, Amptron 598LMR MB w/onboard Sound, Video, LAN, 10.2 Gig Fujitsu Laptop HD, Arise 865 DC-DC Converter, Lexan Case, Custom Software w/Voice Interface, MS Access Based Playlists
                              Car: 1986 Mazda RX-7 Turbo (highly modded), 1978 RX-7 Beater (Dead, parting out), 2001 Honda Insight
                              "If one more body-kitted, cut-spring-lowered, farty-exhausted Civic revs on me at an intersection, I swear I'm going to get out of my car and cram their ridiculous double-decker aluminium wing firmly up their rump."

Comment

Working...
                              X